Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Old 07-14-2003, 11:00 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Welcome Psion

http://www.computing.co.uk/Computin...opinion/1142188

Psion, maker of operating system Epoc and mother of Symbian, abandons its own platform in favor of Windows CE .NET. The article "Psion prepares the way for the one true OS" has more information. And amusement. Let's begin with information: "But now Psion has ditched Epoc altogether. The company's new Next Generation Terminal, a nifty little data collection device for warehousemen, ticket collectors, traffic wardens and so on, runs Windows CE.net. And, more significantly for diehard Psioneers, the next version of Psion's mini-notebook, the netBook, will run Windows CE.net as well."

I wondered when reading the first paragraphs of the article why Psion didn't choose any flavor of Symbian. The answer is found further down: "Of course, Psion could update to its love-child Symbian, born of its relationship with the mobile phone industry. Unfortunately, Symbian has grown away from its parent, and is now so totally aligned with the needs of the mobile phone it would be just as expensive to adapt it for computer use as to go the CE.net route."

Quite interesting analysis which I will leave to you to comment. From here the article starts to get amusing! The author joyusly exclaims his love for Linux and hopes Psion eventually will leave its newly found path in favor of Linux. Great news for Windows CE .NET is concluded as follows: "...then, when the dust has settled and we all use Linux as God intended, it will be the only operating system. And the wars of religion will be over."

All I say: Welcome Psion!

Old 07-14-2003, 11:10 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default Re: Welcome Psion

Quote:
then, when the dust has settled and we all use Linux as God intended, it will be the only operating system. And the wars of religion will be over."
The OS wars will never be over because there will always be people who will try to make something better.

Old 07-14-2003, 11:12 PM
sub_tex
Theorist

I really hope they add some MAJOR tweaks to CE.NET so that we can get complete control of the OS via the keyboard, just like we could on those glorious Epoc Psion devices.

If they were to release a consumer CE device for a good price it would be amazing, I'm sure. The Epoc ones were so sweet. I still love my S5. I never pull out the stylus EVER!. Complete control.

I'm getting all misty eyed seeing Psion on the front page news section. It's been years since that name was used in any way other than "Remember those awesome Psion devices?"

:clap:

Old 07-14-2003, 11:18 PM
g0097
Ponderer

The netbook has drawn me more than once into its arms with its excellent design and function. I would love to see a netbook with a flavor of windows on it. The machine really was sexy!! :lol: I hope they are not as expensive though as the psion netbooks were! Those things were running over a thousand dollars. I got some pretty good deals on them and got one for as cheap as 550 dollars once but they still comand around four to five hundred dollars. If they do it right I think psion can pull some old Psion users with the same form factor and new added things such as wireless and multimedia.

Old 07-14-2003, 11:29 PM
Peter Foot
Thinker

What an odd article, while from the first half it looks moderately sane and normal the author then goes off into a crazy unrelated rant about Linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Partridge
All the minority (i.e. non-Microsoft) operating systems have their zealots, people who hold their chosen OS in a quite irrational awe
Hmm, little do we realise that the author seems to demonstrate a tendancy in this direction when reading further down the article...

Quote:
But for all the preachiness of the messengers, Linux is beginning to look like the way of the future for ordinary, run-of-the-mill desktop computers.
But this article is not talking about ordinary run of the mill desktop computers so the guy has clearly got lost somewhere.
Hmm "preachiness" - someones be thesauralising again..

Quote:
As Microsoft continues to enforce its registration policy, people with two or three computers at home will start to demand an operating system they can use on the old machines without paying Bill a large wedge of money for the privilege
Thats as may be, but this is an embedded device so people will not generally be doing custom upgrades or have a desire to play linux games on the device.
I found the information on Psion very interesting however I'll ignore the off-the-point rant and stick with Andy in saying:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sjostrom
All I say: Welcome Psion!
0X

Old 07-15-2003, 12:33 AM
TawnerX
Intellectual

can somebody pleaseee hurt the person who uses bad matrix pun... :razzing:

This is also why there should be law and ordinance against bad movie.

Old 07-15-2003, 12:54 AM
kiwi
Thinker

wow..
my second PDA after the original palm pilot 512 was a PSION 5. I was just checking ebay for them the other day.They kicked @SS on the Windows CE HPC's of the era.

ah, memories.

B

Old 07-15-2003, 01:25 AM
Thinkingmandavid
Pontificator
Send a message via ICQ to Thinkingmandavid Send a message via Yahoo to Thinkingmandavid

My first two pda's were a IBm c3 and a REvo plus , the REvo is awesome. The Symbian OS Rocks! If I had my choice it would be that one wiht a new and improved revo ! I think it is interesting about the netbook, I have been keeping up with that at Psoinplace, and I have of course signed the petition

Old 07-15-2003, 01:44 AM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph
Default Re: Welcome Psion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sjostrom
Psion, maker of operating system Epoc and mother of Symbian, abandons its own platform in favor of Windows CE .NET. All I say: Welcome Psion!
8O Totally Gobsmacked! I remember when I still had my Psion 5 and laughing at the first Windows CE devices! How things have changed!

Old 07-15-2003, 03:00 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

To me, the best part of my Psion5 wasn't the hardware or the OS, but the built-in apps. They had (IMO) the best backup program and wonderfully easy to use database app.