Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-11-2003, 01:00 PM
Crystal Eitle
Sage
Default 512 MB SD Card at Buy.com for $127.95!!!

http://www.buy.com/retail/clearance...1129&dcaid=1688

This is a fantastic deal; Buy.com has 512MB SD cards for $127.95. This isn't "price after rebate" either. That's the actual price. Let's see, that works out to $.25/meg. That's pretty cheap! The brand is PQI, which I've never heard of. Still I'm tempted to pick one of these up.

Old 07-11-2003, 01:22 PM
madbart
Intellectual
Default Re: 512 MB SD Card at Buy.com for $127.95!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Eitle
That's pretty cheap! The brand is PQI, which I've never heard of. Still I'm tempted to pick one of these up.
We sell quite of few of these and have not had any issues. They are a tad slower in performance of the Toshiba, Sandisk etc but will do just fine for mp3's etc

Old 07-11-2003, 01:24 PM
pcraigmile
Neophyte
Default Re: 512 MB SD Card at Buy.com for $127.95!!!

I'm tempted too by this offer -- does anyone know about the company? Also what about speed of this card? And of course the golden question: is it compatible with the AXIM (I don't want another sandisk disaster :devilboy: )

Peter.

Old 07-11-2003, 01:28 PM
piperpilot
Sage

Although I am VERY tempted by the offer, I am also very skeptical since the price is so far below the competition. I'm not even seeing 512MB SD cards being sold on eBay for much less than $225!

Old 07-11-2003, 01:45 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

I say go pick one up and download the trial of Resco Audio Recorder from www.resco-net.com.

Copy a bunch of files to the card using your PPC or a USB reader, then run the Audio Converter which will perform an I/O speed test. If it either corrupts the contents of the card or is too slow to record onto it (which my previous SanDisk cards always did), then the only thing you've wasted was your time and shipping charges.

You can also try using StorageTools to perform an analyze or defrag on the card when it's full of files, to see how it handles it.

But, the "Resco Audio Recorder test" was the most accurate way for me to find out if the card was good or not.

I just hope they aren't SanDisk cards that were rebranded by them. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2003, 02:07 PM
beq
Oracle

Ah darnit, the post got me all excited but now I'm wondering if I should cancel?? Going forward I'd really wanted to only buy the faster (so called "5x-speed") SD cards.

Certainly seems like a good deal compared to other 512MB SDs. But I just saw that 512MB CFs seem to have already gotten down to this ~#125 range. And the smaller capacity SDs are also approaching this $/MB value -- for example I saw 256MB SD there for like $50 (after a $20 rebate). So I'm guessing 512MB SDs in general are on the threshold of falling as well?

What do others think about this (discontinued?) clearanced, non-returnable card? FWIW PQI's flash readers seem to be pretty well known by users (and sold at CompUSA, etc).

EDIT: Uh I didn't mean for my post to sound so negative, 'twas a knee-jerk backlash response. I think I'll keep the order, thanks all for the info...

Old 07-11-2003, 02:09 PM
aviator
Pupil

aaarrggh! got to the checkout page and they don't ship internationally!

Old 07-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

Well, let it be known that you can return it only if it's defective and sent back within the 14-day period.
  • * Clearance Store and Price Mistake of the Day products may be returned only when defective and within 14 days of your product's shipping date.

* The shipping date is available in your My Account history. After 14 days, please contact the manufacturer directly.

* If part of a product is defective, please return the whole product, including all manuals and accessories, in the original packaging.

Old 07-11-2003, 02:15 PM
trachy
Thinker

Thanks for the heads up, Crystal. Hopefully, this is the beginning of the long-awaited price drop on this segment of the SD market.

Old 07-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker

FYI, one guy in this thread said that PQI cards are second to best choice (Lexar Media) for memory.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:...bigpond.net.au

So perhaps this is a good deal after all!