Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-30-2003, 02:30 AM
Crystal Eitle
Sage
Default 256MB Secure Digital Cards On Sale $49 After Rebate at eCost

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/det...asp?dpno=478689

Now through July 7th, eCost has 256 MB Secure Digital cards on sale for $49 after manufacturer's mail-in rebate. Sure, they're SanDisk, but at $.19 per megabyte, you really can't go wrong. Only 25 left as of this writing.

Old 06-30-2003, 02:51 AM
icatar
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to icatar Send a message via Yahoo to icatar

Whoops, make that 1 less available! :mrgreen:

Old 06-30-2003, 02:55 AM
Enderet
Thinker

Are SanDisk SD cards any good? I remember Toshibas had trouble with them.... can anyone give me any feedback?

Old 06-30-2003, 03:07 AM
eternalblue
Pupil

I own a 256MB sandisk card, and i use it on my axim for mp3's. I can't say that I've ever had a problem with with it.

Old 06-30-2003, 03:09 AM
Anthony Caruana
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderet
Are SanDisk SD cards any good? I remember Toshibas had trouble with them.... can anyone give me any feedback?
There are stories/reports of issues with the 256 MB cards and Axims that i have read (may be on Aximsite or on Aximusers)

:soapbox:
[SOAPBOX]
Why are these rebates only for US residents? Surely the manufacturers
are aware that the market for these cards is global and that people in countries other than the US would buy them. Aren't my US dollars the same as everyone elses?
[/SOAPBOX]

Old 06-30-2003, 03:12 AM
sponge
Philosopher

You've seen the legalese for some rebates already, imagine if it weren't limited to just the US?

Old 06-30-2003, 03:23 AM
szamot
Sage

I was bitter as well about no rebates to Canada when I found it, but at least someone else can benefit from it. Costco had these in Canada last week for $108 less $25 not bad, but certainly not as cheap. Damn!

Old 06-30-2003, 03:40 AM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

I have to put my two cents in on this one.

I briefly went through three (3) SanDisk SD cards during each time I bought a new PocketPC with a bunch of accessories. I always gave it a clean slate up until the last time I gave up. Regardless of PocketPC brand and speed, and regardless of SD memory capacity, each one gave me integrity errors that would result in loss or corruption of data, forcing multiple reformats and tedious recopying of my audio files and programs.

My latest combination was a Dell Axim X5 and a 256MB SanDisk SD card. I tried the trial of Resco Audio Recorder 2.0 which had a "I/O speed test" in order to determine if it could encode and write to the card fast enough. Each time I ran the test with the SanDisk card, it would corrupt the entire FAT area, losing all the folders and files on the card. I tried the same test with a SimpleTech card and it performed the test flawless.

Even performing write operations to the SanDisk card on a USB 1.1 reader caused random failures. Again, the same write operations (just by copying through Windows Explorer) never had any issues with my SimpleTech cards.

By the way, for the previous message, it wasn't just an Axim the Resco Audio Recorder "test" failed on. I now have a Samsung i700 and I also performed the test on an HP iPAQ 1910 - both failed with multiple SanDisk cards, both passed with all my SimpleTech cards.

You don't have to wonder why their cards are so much cheaper than anyone else's on the market, and/or always providing rebates and discounts. I worked at a CompUSA and all our returns of SD cards were always SanDisk.

I paid $15-$30 more for each SimpleTech card, but I never had to look back. It's buyer beware with products from SanDisk, so unless you got the extra change to spare for shipping back when you hit their failure ratio, I suggest you use that extra cash now and stick to a product that you really don't hear issues about in the forums.

There, I said it. Good luck.

Old 06-30-2003, 04:17 AM
Dave Beauvais
Pontificator

Well said. I've now had two SanDisk SD cards and one SanDisk SmartMedia card fail, each within six months of purchase. In all cases, they were covered under warranty, but it has literally taken nearly two months to get the two replacement SD cards each time one has failed. I vowed several months ago here to never again purchase a SanDisk product of any kind, no matter how attractive the price may be.

--Dave

Old 06-30-2003, 04:27 AM
Enderet
Thinker

Thanks a lot guys... Im glad I didnt order one of these cheap SanDisk cards...