Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-27-2003, 09:23 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default iPAQ Upgrades Revisited

I am sure we'll continue to visit this topic many times in the near future, but here is my take and a follow up on Janak's recent post:

There are many and complex issues that go along with a complete upgrade. It is not as simple as getting bits from Microsoft, slamming them into a box and give it away. HP has technical, quality and testing issues to address. I certainly don't want a first round of upgrades that potentially cause iPAQ users any problems. I want documentation and support to be ramped up and ready. In other words, I would rather see HP err on the side of stability and reliability vs. a quick shipment and lots of hassles and support. With regards to pricing... My educated guess is that the upgrade costs HP approximately $85 000+ for each system (3850, 3870, 3900, 5400 and so on), meaning the cost can very well be above $400 000 for HP, which is why this isn't a freebie give away.

As far as I have heard from unofficial sources, HP got the final bits about four weeks ago and has been busy testing and readying the upgrade since -- with an ETA in the third week of July.

Old 06-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Gremmie
Philosopher

Good article, helps remind people that it is not quick to release upgrades and that there is a cost-benefit ratio for new ROMs.

Old 06-27-2003, 09:40 PM
cmchavez
Intellectual

I would prefer in HP could at least clarify that the upgrade is not currently available for purchase. The way the pages are setup now makes it appear that you can purchase and download the update now. Plus, the navigation through the "smb" store isn't the most intuitive structure. :confused totally:

Old 06-27-2003, 09:54 PM
Chris Spera
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Chris Spera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sjostrom
As far as I have heard from unofficial sources, HP got the final bits about four weeks ago and has been busy testing and readying the upgrade since -- with an ETA in the third week of July.
I for one am not complaining about paying for this upgrade. I'll be happy to pay for upgrades for both my 3955 and my 5455. That's not the point, though your comments regarding the cost of this upgrade are important.

They have had the code for a month. They have a specific and directed purpose for developing the upgrades. They (should) have a documented and repeatable QA Process. Pull all of this information together with all the other bits and bobs of development prognostication that goes with this, and they should be able to guess-timate how long it will take them to release their upgrade.

HP is the LEADER of the Pocket PC OEM's because their iPAQs are the largest selling PPC devices on the market. We're busy b*tching and moaning because they aren't leading. In fact, this is shaping up to be a nasty rerun...

All we are looking for is information. If i have to wait until November or December for these upgrades, THAT'S FINE! I'll smile all the way to 2004 if needed. That's not the point.

The point is I'd like to know WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON!

Accurate information is what we crave here. Nothing more. As a Software Quality Director myself, I can appreicate the time and attention that HP is trying to give the WM2003 upgrade and I applaud them for it. However, you can't tell me they don't have a realistic idea of when it might be available.

I've released both Enterprise and Retail titles before... I know the pressure they are dealing with (especially from THIS outspoken group..Sheesh! :mrgreen: ); but that doesn't excuse them from this serious lack of communication, especially when sites like Thoughts and others are clamouring for this information from someone of authority and reliability at HP.

I for one, am seriously disappointed in HP.

Christopher Spera

Old 06-27-2003, 10:01 PM
TrojanUO
Pupil

It's been 1 day.

The tone of most of the posts bitching about HP on other threads make it seem like HP has been jerking people around for months. It's been 1 day. Are 24 pt fonts really necessary?

I realise we're turning into an everything yesterday culture but good lord.

It's been 1 day.

Old 06-27-2003, 10:03 PM
Trokair
Pupil

Quote:
I've released both Enterprise and Retail titles before... I know the pressure they are dealing with (especially from THIS outspoken group..Sheesh! ); but that doesn't excuse them from this serious lack of communication, especially when sites like Thoughts and others are clamouring for this information from someone of authority and reliability at HP.
I think Chris hit the proverbial nail with the hammer on this one; I, for one, never expected this upgrade to be free, or anything of the sort. I don't mind paying for it; that HP is doing this at all is something to be thankful for. What I am not happy with is, like Chris said, the lack of communication. If the upgrade site has all the link in place, people expect to be able to click them and order the blasted thing, not be redirected to some other page that holds no information whatsoever on what they're trying to buy. Maybe HP should change the Upgrade page around a bit to notify us that the upgrades are not available yet, and that they'll list them there when they are?

-Kyle

Old 06-27-2003, 10:24 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanUO
It's been 1 day.

The tone of most of the posts bitching about HP on other threads make it seem like HP has been jerking people around for months. It's been 1 day. Are 24 pt fonts really necessary?

It's been 1 day.
It's been 1 day!

Sheeeesh

Old 06-27-2003, 10:25 PM
cmchavez
Intellectual

From HP Support:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 2:23 PM
To: cmchavez
Subject: RE: iPAQ H3900 Series Pocket PC P-hand-dg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please retain this line in all replies:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting HP eServices.

We appreciate your patience and co-operation regarding this matter. As the volume required is too high, the online purchase may not be enabled till Monday 30th June 2003. For more information, please call 800-888-0262. We once again apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please e-mail us if you have any further clarification and we will be glad to help.

Regards,

HP eServices

At least now I know when it will be available! :wink:

Old 06-27-2003, 10:28 PM
Gremmie
Philosopher

:clap: Bravo cmchavez, now was that so hard to get information?

Old 06-27-2003, 10:33 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanUO
Indeed. The Internet radically altered our expectations of how fast information should flow - there's no going back now, but it is sort of amusing to watch, isn't it? :lol:

Calm down everyone - enjoy the weekend! Put away your Pocket PCs and go for a walk in the sun. :rainbowafro: