Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 06-27-2003, 04:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Update Software to Work With Pocket PC 2003 Databases

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=636008aa-a011-4188-a1aa-4dd723e315bf&displaylang=en

Microsoft has released a utility that may be necessary for some Pocket PC 2002 software to run on Pocket PC 2003 devices. "The internal format of databases changed in the Windows Mobile 2003-based Pocket PC and Smartphone. This causes some third party applications to hang or display an error message when they attempt to access their data. The affected applications are those that install databases along with the program itself. This is fairly common. If users have an application that worked on Pocket PC or Smartphone 2002 and does not work correctly on Windows Mobile 2003-based Pocket PC or Smartphone, they should try this wizard."

It can also be used to migrate databases from a 2002 to a 2003 device. A word of caution though. This type of product should be used very carefully and not without a full backup of your device should you make a mistake. You must have Windows 2000 SP3 or Windows XP and ActiveSync 3.7 for this to work. Odd, I wonder if Windows Server 2003 is also supported?

Old 06-27-2003, 04:48 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

It would make more sense to me if it could be run directly on the device (probably the WME2003 end, but if it could run on the PPC2002 end and save the databases to a new location).

Old 06-27-2003, 06:08 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Re: Update Software to Work With Pocket PC 2003 Databases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
That link didn't work for me. I get the following message on an error page:

Quote:
Sorry, we were unable to service your request. As an option, you may visit any of the pages below for information about Microsoft services and products.
Is it just me, or did Microsoft take it away?

Steve

Old 06-27-2003, 06:19 AM
mistame
Pupil

It must just be you. the link works fine for me

Old 06-27-2003, 12:17 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistame
Ditto. Give it another go pony.

Old 06-27-2003, 04:25 PM
BobWitt
Ponderer

Great to hear! I discovered the same thing...

Reference http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...ic.php?t=14076

Bob

Old 06-27-2003, 04:37 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default GRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistame
Ditto. Give it another go pony.
Well, it worked for me now, too. I wonder why I've been having so many problems accessing Microsoft's Web pages lately. :grumble:

Steve

Old 06-27-2003, 04:43 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Has anyone been able to figure out what programs this will actually affect, and how it does it? I'd like to see @mail, PocketPlus and/or Battery Bar all fixed, but doubt that they contain databases that could be addressed by this.

I'm a little nervous running this on my old PPC, without knowing what databases it updates, and how it does it's magic. :confused totally:

I'd hate to run it only to find that it's overwritten all the changes I've made within Pocket Informant for the last week.

Would love to hear feedback from anyone that has been braver than me and ran this thing.

Whydidnt

Old 06-27-2003, 05:02 PM
Mark R Penn
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Mark R Penn Send a message via AIM to Mark R Penn Send a message via MSN to Mark R Penn Send a message via Yahoo to Mark R Penn

Don't know about others, but Pocket Informant 4.01 (current) is 99% compatible, with just a couple of visual issues in the recurance editor, while the new version is 100% compatible. Certainly no database issues in either. You shouldn't loose any data anyway, because the databases PI is reading are the inbuilt PPC ones.

@mail is being completely rewritten but there was an instal issue with PC2003. A new build is being tested now.

Old 07-04-2003, 12:24 PM
vagelis
Pupil

By the way, this utility fixes TwoPeak Software's Personal Vehicle Manager for 2003. I used it on the database and now it works :mrgreen: