Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 06-25-2003, 09:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default MSN Mobile - No Canadians Allowed?

One of the new "features" in Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC is the addition of a Pocket MSN icon. This launches Pocket Internet Explorer and takes you to the MSN Mobile site, which technically isn't exactly new. I connected my iPAQ 2215 to my WiFi network using a Socket Wireless card, and the zero config was nice - it detected the network, then it prompted me for the WEP key in a nice pop-up window, and I was on. Nice!

Here's what's not so nice: after I logged into MSN Mobile with my Passport account, I decided to check out the weather. It prompted me for my postal code (that's the Canadian version of a zip code), which I thought was strange considering that information is part of my Passport profile. I started to enter it in, then to my amazement, it stopped me after FIVE digita! Canadian postal codes are six digits long (T3L 2M9, etc.), so I am unable to check the weather, or do anything that requires my postal code. Bad Microsoft, bad! It's also cheesy that the Passport sign-in screen isn't optimized for the Pocket PC screen - big honkin' horizontal scroll bars. Doen't anyone at Microsoft actually use a Pocket PC to check their own services? :roll:

Old 06-25-2003, 09:16 PM
William
Ponderer
Default Re: MSN Mobile - No Canadians Allowed?

Yeah, not from Canada but I hate that too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
It's also cheesy that the Passport sign-in screen isn't optimized for the Pocket PC screen - big honkin' horizontal scroll bars.
Big scroll bars are good! It means you don't have to scroll too much. It's the small ones that I hate!

Old 06-25-2003, 09:25 PM
Birdman
Theorist

I remember a few months ago I sent an email to MS asking them if there was a way to get Canadian weather etc. from the MSN Mobile site using my Passport. After a few days I received an email from MS confirming that the information is not available to Canadian users!

Old 06-25-2003, 09:26 PM
Paragon
Magi

I think I read something the other day about Sympatico, and MSN joining forces here in Canada later in the year. Perhaps then we will be recognized......

Dave

Old 06-25-2003, 09:33 PM
Wingnut
Pupil

Luckily I go to school in Windsor, so I just type in Detroit's Zip code for the weather.

Old 06-25-2003, 09:37 PM
dh
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut
Luckily I go to school in Windsor, so I just type in Detroit's Zip code for the weather.
So no problem.
Live in Toronto type Niagara Falls, NY
Montreal - Burlington, VT
Calagry - Hmmmm.......??????

Old 06-25-2003, 10:10 PM
igreen
Ponderer

Worse than that Jason......www.pocketpc.com doesn't have a mobile version...for shame!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-25-2003, 10:39 PM
Iznot Gold
Intellectual

Same for UK post codes too!

David

Old 06-25-2003, 11:38 PM
Trade Wind
Pupil

Pocket MSN isn't done yet...nor have any carriers rolled out the backend requirements for the service so far.

In the meantime...are you guys using a US version of Windows Mobile 2003? Are they even localized at all? (I'm not sure)

For Canadians, it should go to http://mobile.msn.ca/pocketpc/.

For Brits, it should go to http://pocketpc.msn.co.uk/.

Old 06-26-2003, 12:49 AM
sweetpete
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind
Pocket MSN isn't done yet...nor have any carriers rolled out the backend requirements for the service so far.

In the meantime...are you guys using a US version of Windows Mobile 2003? Are they even localized at all? (I'm not sure)

For Canadians, it should go to http://mobile.msn.ca/pocketpc/.

For Brits, it should go to http://pocketpc.msn.co.uk/.
It doesn't matter if you go to the Canadian site. It asks for a Postal Code which is the right term, but it only accepts 5 charachter input and our Postal Code system uses 6! Someone didn't QA the mobile site properly. :devilboy: