Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 06-21-2003, 12:00 AM
Crystal Eitle
Sage
Default Gummi 'Puter!

http://www.newscientist.com/news/ne...p?id=ns99993846

:shocked!: Sony is developing a credit-card-sized flexible computer with no buttons or other hardware. To manipulate information, users will bend and twist the device, called Gummi.

"[Gummi inventor Carsten] Schwesig has already developed several Gummi applications, including a map, a web browser, a photo album, a simple game and a text input system. 'This might lead to products such as maps, tourist information browsers or games embedded into hotel keys or travel tickets,' he says.

"Sony envisages paper-thin gadgets no bigger than a credit card, made from several layers of components: a flexible organic light-emitting display (OLED), flexible electronic circuitry, a touch-sensitive panel on the back of the device, and an embedded piezoelectric sensor. The resulting device would have no conventional mechanical parts. You would steer the cursor using a touch panel on the reverse of the mini PC, while pushing the middle of the device in or out would let you browse through a menu. Bending could also control tasks such as zooming in and out of a map, controlling the playback speed of video files and editing the composition of image layers."

There's a Quicktime movie here of the Gummi in action; I'm impressed by how sophisticated the images and browser look. From the video, it also looks like navigation is very intuitive. The current Gummi prototype, while containing all the necessary components, isn't quite down to credit card size yet - prototypes of the credit-card-size Gummi are about three years away, according to the article. (But I want one now!) I'm intrigued by the thought that these could be aimed at travelers, in the form of room keys or tickets - that implies that the components might be relatively inexpensive. Are disposable computers "in the cards"? :splat:

Old 06-21-2003, 12:09 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Not only that -- if this is sturdy, think of the possibilities for kids!

--janak

Old 06-21-2003, 01:12 AM
Duddy
Intellectual

Think of the possibilities for ME! 8O

Old 06-21-2003, 01:53 AM
questionlp
Pupil

Quote:
Are disposable computers "in the cards"?
My word... someone is being a joker tonight I know, I shouldn't get bent out of shape... but it will

Old 06-21-2003, 02:14 AM
trachy
Thinker

Interesting concept, but I didn't care for the side effect of the device constantly moving around while navigating the different features. I wouldn't discredit it completely though until I got to try it myself.

Old 06-21-2003, 02:24 AM
Jacob
Pontificator

I can see this as being good for tourist maps

Convenient - not too expensive, discreet so there isn't a huge foldout...

Old 06-21-2003, 03:12 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Re: Gummi 'Puter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Eitle
:shocked!: Sony is developing a credit-card-sized flexible computer with no buttons or other hardware. To manipulate information, users will bend and twist the device, called Gummi.
This sounds like a smaller version of the PlastiComputer I dreamed up for eBook reading in late 80s or early 90s (basically an 8.5" x 11" sheet of plastic with virtual keyboard and touchscreen areas).

Instead of bending it for navigation, I'd prefer a touch screen with scroll areas (like touchpads on laptops).

Steve

P.S. Was it just me, or was there no audio with the movie?

Old 06-21-2003, 03:14 AM
andrewlwood
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to andrewlwood

surely it would be really easy to make it waterproof and shockproof too - loads of applications outdoors.

In clothing? Furniture?

Old 06-21-2003, 03:15 AM
dean_shan
Mystic

I could see somthing like this happening in the future but I don't think that they will be disposable. Too much waste. I think that it will be a computer that can download maps at different information stands and what not. Everyone would own one and keep it with them when traveling. Not only would this cut down on landfill wastes but it is more efficent.

Old 06-21-2003, 03:27 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_shan
I think that it will be a computer that can download maps at different information stands and what not.
BT! Walk up and sync!