Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 06-19-2003, 08:47 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default The Rumourmill is Whirling: HP iPAQ 4000 Series?

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.a...owComments=true

"Reports are coming in that HP is going to release a new iPAQ during late fall to winter time frame. The iPAQ h4000 series will be on the high-end of the scale and will feature a built in QWERTY keyboard. The h4000 series will be roughly the eighth PDA released by HP, coming close to Sony's record set last year. It will certainly feature integrated wireless of some sort, most likely WiFi and/or Bluetooth. There is an outside possibility that it will integrate some sort of GPRS connectivity to compete with other "always-on" devices. At the CES earlier this year, HP told us they were working on an integrated unit with QWERTY keyboard. The h4000 does not appear to be this unit, but may be a serious step in that direction."

Sometimes it's nice not to have an NDA, so you can just blurt out anything you hear. :wink:

Old 06-19-2003, 08:55 PM
entropy1980
Oracle
Default Re: The Rumourmill is Whirling: HP iPAQ 4000 Series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Sometimes it's nice not to have an NDA, so you can just blurt out anything you hear. :wink:
Which brings me to the question what/who are you guys under NDA with? MS, HP? I remember a little while back there was talk with HP what came of it?

Old 06-19-2003, 08:58 PM
powder2000
Thinker

Mmmmmmmm, rumours (_8^(|)

Old 06-19-2003, 08:58 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: The Rumourmill is Whirling: HP iPAQ 4000 Series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy1980
Which brings me to the question what/who are you guys under NDA with? MS, HP?
Both: HP and Microsoft, no others right now. The benefits of my NDA's will become clear shortly...

Old 06-19-2003, 08:59 PM
sjmcloughlin
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to sjmcloughlin Send a message via AIM to sjmcloughlin
Default If its good I will make the move from Palm to PPC

As a Tungsten C user I would like to see what this handheld is all about. If in fact it is what is stated a keyboard, always on wireless etc I will make the move. However the Tungsten C is the next best thing for me at the moment but the blasted thing does not have bluetooth support. BTW Jason this is an excellent with some great information and as a HPC user and a Palm user its a great site to learn whats going on in the PPC world. I cannot wait to see what HP has up its sleeve.

Old 06-19-2003, 09:19 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Oh God. Not another handheld rumor. I can't take anymore!!! Sensory OVERLOAD!!! :worried:

Old 06-19-2003, 09:25 PM
dma1965
Thinker
Default Big Woop!

Sorry to sound so drap on the subject, but until HP, or anyone else releases a new device with a built in GSM/GPRS phone I am going to have to remain bored. I know that there is a lot of red tape to go through in the US to get a phone device, but the Palm people seem to be having no problem with it.

Another thing is built in cameras. I almost bought a Zire the other day at Fry's because of the very slick, intuitive, built-in camera, which an idiot could use. It just seems that the HP folks are taking already existing features and putting them together in different ways, with different body styles, and releasing them as new divices, with no significant gains. Frankly, as lame as I thing Palms are when it comes to things like filesystems, multitasking, and enterprise applications, they CONSTANTLY get a second look from me these days for all the nifty features, whereas Pocket PC devices are downright dull in comparison! :|

Old 06-19-2003, 09:40 PM
carphead
Thinker
Default Re: Big Woop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1965
Pocket PC devices are downright dull in comparison! :|
Couldn't agree more. If Sony can release a PDA with a Camera with Flash. Then why can't HP or Tosh do the same?

What true inovations have there been in the last 18 months from the PPC OEM's? Apart from the finger print security in the 5xxx series I can't really think of anything ground breaking. Sure intergrated WiFi is good but it's not really stunning. Bluetooth's the same sure it's nice but where's the ground breaking stuff?

Like the original 36xx IPAQ's?

I hope we see something killer from HP with PPC 2003 but I can't see it really. I've been hoping to find something to replace my 3975 but I haven't seen anything that makes me want to.

Old 06-19-2003, 09:51 PM
donkthemagicllama
Ponderer

still waiting for a decent screen resolution... apparently ppc2003 won't have it...

also, what about 1xRTTt?? it's much beter than gprs..

Old 06-19-2003, 10:22 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkthemagicllama
still waiting for a decent screen resolution... apparently ppc2003 won't have it...
It would be nice for the PPC to have a better screen, like the new Palms. But that's not going to sway my decision. Power, applications, , mobility, versatility, communications, nothing in my opinion can match the PPC. But it could be improved...

I'll be one of the first in line for the new 5550 IPaq's. My 3870 while good, just doesn't handle databases very well. I still don't think 400MHz is all that great but with all the other improvements, maybe the sum of it's parts will satisfy me.

I've played with the 5450 and performance seems quite zippy compared to my 3870. With built-in 128MB, Bluetooth and WiFi, the 5550 comes close to ideal.