Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 06-11-2003, 01:42 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default GREAT New Deal From T-Mobile!

We were just informed that as of today T-Mobile has restructured their wireless data plans, and BOY! what a deal they're offering!

For $19.99, you can get UNLIMITED wireless Internet access when coupled to a voice service of at least $29.99. I had been paying $19.99 for just 10MB. Sometimes these deals are reserved for new customers only, though, so I called T-Mobile technical support (800-937-8997) and within five minutes my account had been switched to the new data plan!

Zowie! I've always been kind of reluctant to use my data services too freely, because I don't want to use up all my bits. But now I can connect and surf and read news and download e-mail and IM my kids while I'm away and... Well, you get the picture. So, if you're ever in an airport or other public place and you hear somebody hummng happily, it'll be ME, sitting in a corner enjoying my unlimited access.

Update: T-Mobile has updated their internet plan page. They killed all of their plans and put in one - $29.99 for all you can eat. Scott R. has told us that it is $19.99 when you add a voice plan though. :way to go:

Old 06-11-2003, 01:58 PM
kdross
Pupil

This is only for the T-Mobile Sidekick. This is not a usual data plan. The Sidekicks use a backend service to compress and manage the data, therefore it's much more efficient than a usual GPRS straight-to-the-Internet connection.

On another related note, though... previously, the Sidekick plan was just a couple of voice/data combo plans, and unlimited data was only for the first year of service.

With the release of their color Sidekick, they are now allowing users to choose any voice plan and add the unlimited Sidekick data plan as a bolt-on.

They also have a data-only (no voice) plan for Sidekicks that's unlimited and just $29.

Old 06-11-2003, 02:03 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus

No, this is for ANY type of device. The plan just started today, so I called T-Mobile and confirmed. It even includes PDAs and notebooks.

Trust me. They asked me what kind of phone I have (Pocket PC Phone Edition) and they switched me right away.

Old 06-11-2003, 02:05 PM
MatthewF
Neophyte

I think Brad is refering to the Hot-Spot WiFi service add-on. Too bad no locations in Ohio yet.

Old 06-11-2003, 02:09 PM
CincyGeek
Neophyte

Yep. kdross is correct. The $20 unlimited data bolt-on is for Sidekicks only. Danger offers an end-to-end solution which reduces the bandwidth requirements tremendously. There's no way T-Mobile is going to open the flood gates for just any device. The hiptop platform is the only exception for now. If you received your information from a T-Mobile rep, then you need to find a new source. Many of the T-Mobile reps are clueless when it comes to data and the uniqueness of the Sidekick.

Update: If he's referring to their HotSpot service, that's a whole different ball game. I can't comment on that, but I can tell you that unlimited GPRS for $20 is not an option for non-Sidekicks.

Old 06-11-2003, 02:14 PM
Mr. Anonymous
Ponderer

I haven't spoken to T-Mobile yet (cancelled my GPRS gouging plan a long time ago), but from the looks of their site it looks like the $20/month is for the unlimited sidekick data plan OR unlimited Hotspot (802.11b) access.

Old 06-11-2003, 02:15 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

I just tried. Nothing available. I'll try back later today and see if I can get another rep that might know more.

Old 06-11-2003, 02:21 PM
Bob Anderson
Thinker

On a side note, if you use Verizon's 1xRTT data service, the unlimited data plan has dropped from $99 to $79. You have to call to request the change, but they will change your plan.

I use it extensively with my Pocket PC and my Laptop. I can't imagine not having constant wireless access!

Old 06-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGeek
Yep. kdross is correct. The $20 unlimited data bolt-on is for Sidekicks only.
Did you call T-Mobile directly?

All I know is that I did call T-Mobile. I did tell them that my device is a Pocket PC Phone Edition. The did tell me that this new wireless Internet access is a replacement for my existing 10MB plan. They did tell me that within two hours my plan would switch from 10MB to unlimited. The did tell me that their Web site has not been updated to reflect the new plan.

Nowhere was the term "hotspot" even mentioned.

They told me in a couple of hours my account would be switched over. If later today I can't connect, I guess we'll know that somebody at T-Mobile made a BIIIIIG mistake.

Another discussion has been taking place here that seems to confirm this.

Old 06-11-2003, 02:34 PM
amg
Pupil
Default Verizon's Express Network (1XRTT) Data Plans

VZW is $80 unlimited...

Or, using one of the new convergance devices (Blackberry, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700):
$50 unlimited data (as a standalone data-only plan)
or
$45 unlimited data when coupled with a voiceplan
(These plans also include "wireless sync")

Or... and this is the new deal since June 2:
Pay NOTHING extra for data and use EXPRESS NETWORK against your voice minute allotment (and that includes N&W useage, as well) - This is the way the 14.4 QNC service used to work

The only catch on this last one is that you have to be on a plan that was introduced on or after June 2- so if you may have to call customer service and "refresh" your plan (possibly extending your contract)