Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 06-10-2003, 06:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default 9 Series Encoder Pocket PC Profile Error - Not Hearing Audio?

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;en-us;813693

Video encoders, listen up: wondering why you've been having trouble getting audio on your video encoded using the Pocket PC profiles in the 9 Series Windows Media Encoder? You've changed the video settings to Windows Media 7.1, because there's no 9 Series codecs available, so your video comes through clear - but there's no audio.

The reason why is explained in this Microsoft Knowledgebase article. Someone didn't have enough coffee when they were coding, and they made the default audio setting on the Pocket PC profile 48 Khz. The problem is that the Pocket PC WMP doesn't support 48 Khz! You need to change the default to 44 Khz, and it will work. The KB article also explains how to save a new profile so you don't have to make this change again.

Old 06-10-2003, 08:13 PM
adamz
Thinker

I had that problem a number of times! Posted the question in the newsgroups but no one had a clue. Thanks for the real answer. In the meantime I've been using Microsoft Movie Maker to convert movie files to WMV since that program's Pocket PC profile DOES work with the Pocket PC Media Player.

Old 06-10-2003, 08:25 PM
crimsonsky
Thinker

Or you can just use Windows Movie Maker 2, which is much easier and works perfectly.

Old 06-10-2003, 09:38 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonsky
Or you can just use Windows Movie Maker 2, which is much easier and works perfectly.
I have to admit I haven't tried that feature in MM2 - you're saying it allows you to control the video & audio codecs used during the export? I thought it would have been hard-coded to 9 Series codecs across the board...

Old 06-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Bob Anderson
Thinker

Off topic:

Jason, any word on when we might see DigitalVideoThoughts.com come to life? I took your earlier advice, bought your "Faster Smarter Digital Video" Book, read it cover to cover, bought my first miniDV Camcorder and am ready to learn more!

If DV Thoughts helps me keep up with my miniDV investment half as much as PPC Thoughts has my iPaq investments I'm going to be really indebted to you!!

Keep up the good work...

Old 06-11-2003, 01:01 AM
crimsonsky
Thinker

Oddly the audio codec is Windows Media Audio 9 and the Video is Video V7. What's strange is that with WME, I couldn't change the audio codec from WMA9 and hence got no sound, but the video was WMV8. This was using the PocketPC template.

With Windows Movie Maker 2, I get good video and sound using the default template for PocketPC. Works for me and easier than WME 9.

Old 06-12-2003, 03:11 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Anderson
Jason, any word on when we might see DigitalVideoThoughts.com come to life?
Digital Media Thoughts will launch in Q3 or Q4 of this year. I was really hoping to launch it sooner (this summer), but something very important came up - a really great opportunity that I couldn't pass up. You'll see what it is in about three weeks. :wink:

Old 06-12-2003, 03:45 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
something very important came up - a really great opportunity that I couldn't pass up. You'll see what it is in about three weeks. :wink:
July long-weekend party? :mrgreen: WWWD3?

No! It's something to do with benchmarking, hardware, etc!