Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default A Gorgeous iPAQ 1910 Case - The Proporta Aluminum Case

http://www.proporta.com/Dept.asp?id=133

A few weeks ago, Proporta sent me two of their iPAQ aluminum cases. As you already know, I love their Dell Axim X5 case, so I was looking forward to seeing the case for the 1910. The 1910 is a very small device, and people buy it for that small size, so the danger in adding a case is that it will add to the bulk, this ruining the size advantage the device has. Any case for the 1910 will have to maintain the size of the device without adding bulk.

The Proporta case succeeds wonderfully in this regard! Much like the Axim X5 case, it's completely form-fitting and cut away in all the right areas (sync port, SD card, left-side access). To keep the size down it looks like they molded the cover close to the screen of the iPAQ, so much so that when the molding came down to the d-pad, it had to be raised. This results in a slightly odd-looking "hump" for the d-pad and buttons. Some will think this looks great, others will wish it had a completely flat top. I'm in the latter group, but this certainly doesn't ruin what an excellent case this is!

My wife Ashley is using the iPAQ 1910, and she just loves it - the size, the bright screen, and the design. When I gave her the Proporta Aluminum case, she was thrilled - she uses it constantly, and she has no complaints about it. If you're looking for a case for your iPAQ 1910, this is an excellent choice.

Old 06-11-2003, 04:41 PM
JoshB
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to JoshB Send a message via MSN to JoshB Send a message via Yahoo to JoshB

I have had this case (two, actually, but that's a long story) for a few weeks now, and I'm very happy with it. It's the perfect protection for and compliment to the sleek 1910.

I pre-ordred this case from Proporta (based in the UK) about mid-March, with expected shipping around the end of April. April came and went, and in the mean time, Innopocket, based in Hong Kong, released the same case. Apparently, they both buy them from the same manufacturer.

Well, after reading an email on the Brighthand 1910 forum that Proporta wouldn't even have any cases until mid-May, I caved, and ordered another case from Innopocket, which shipped immediately.

A few weeks later, I got my Proporta case, and was very impressed with the fit and finish. It's a great case. I sold my second case to a co-worker.

It's worth noting that the photo Jason posted with this story is of an earlier version of this case (this photo is probably still on the Proporta site). The shipping version has a cutout on the left side for IR and the record button. Also, the Proporta version of the case has their logo pressed/embossed on the front of the case, in the circle over the D-pad. It also has "proporta.com" painted/stenciled on the back, right above the sync port.

If you want some detailed photos, from different angles, check out innopocket.com.

One caveat - the finish of the aluminum, which I love, is slippery, and can make it easy to drop this case. I have dropped mine a couple of times, and while it did a great job of protecting my iPAQ, it's rather easy to bend the hinge/door, so it doesn't quite fit right. Luckily in my case, it was only off by a little, and I was able to bend it back in to place with no problems.

Old 06-11-2003, 04:44 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB
The shipping version has a cutout on the left side for IR and the record button. Also, the Proporta version of the case has their logo pressed/embossed on the front of the case, in the circle over the D-pad. It also has "proporta.com" painted/stenciled on the back, right above the sync port.
Yes on the IR port cutout, but no on the logo - I have one from Proporta sitting right in front of me, and there's no logo on it. How very odd - I guess that added that after they sent me the case?

Old 06-11-2003, 04:48 PM
JoshB
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to JoshB Send a message via MSN to JoshB Send a message via Yahoo to JoshB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Yes on the IR port cutout, but no on the logo - I have one from Proporta sitting right in front of me, and there's no logo on it. How very odd - I guess that added that after they sent me the case?
Hmm. Maybe they did start adding the logo later. Jason, when did you receive yours? I got mine around the first part of May. Also, did it come in plastic packaging labeled Innpocket? My Innopocket case came in a nice plasticl "bubble" package, with their name on it. My Proporta case came in an air mail envelope wrapped in a single layer of bubble wrap. :wink:

Maybe they're sending different versions, or reselling the Innopocket version (which was about $8 cheaper, BTW) which doesn't have the logo.

Curious...

Old 06-11-2003, 05:24 PM
karinatwork
Philosopher

I ordered mine from Moonlight Technologies, and it came in a Innopocket Plastic Package. I think I read a thread somewhere that all the cases are manufactured by Innopocket. At least the one Moonlight Technologies sells, is.

Btw, very nice case. I love it too!

Karin

Old 06-11-2003, 05:56 PM
ZiL
Pupil

I have this case since 2 weeks now and I love it! :lol:

All the business ppl I know get: 8O What is that!!! I want it! :twisted:

Old 06-12-2003, 11:22 PM
WirelessJunkie
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to WirelessJunkie

I did an extensive review of the marvellous case for the french site ppcreviews.net.
You can find it there
Check it out if you want to see some new pictures http://www.ppcreviews.net/revue_135.html
Cheers

Old 06-13-2003, 03:39 AM
bbarker
Philosopher

It's a shame that with such a compact Pocket PC you have to add a case at all. It's necessary, of course, because HP didn't include a hard screen cover with the 1910. That was shortsighted. Having said that, the 1910 still is very compact even with this case.

I don't have a 1910 but I looked at one in the Proporta case at a local user group meeting and was impressed. The 2200 series really needs a screen cover (and a side scrolling control). But a case like this would help compensate for such a major deficiency as no cover.