Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-09-2003, 07:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default IOGEAR Debuts World's Thinnest Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Hub

http://www.iogear.com/products/prod...php?Item=GUH274

"IOGEAR has introduced its USB 2.0 MicroHub for consumers and SOHO users. The MicroHub allows users to access 40 times faster connection speeds than standard USB 1.1 devices. IOGEAR's 4-port hub gives users faster data connection rates of up to 480 Mbps, all within a device that is smaller than a business card. This increased speed allows users to benefit from a range of high performance input devices including storage, printers, scanners and digital cameras. The 0.7" x 2.5" x 1.8" MicroHub weighs only 1.6 ounces. It is both Mac and PC compatible. The product is priced at $29.95 (MSRP) and is now available from all major catalog resellers, online resellers and selected retail outlets."

This looks like one cool little hub!

Old 06-09-2003, 11:39 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

When (unfortunately, more of an if) I get a 5550, I'd love to grab one of these to plug my other stuff into. Looks like it'll be comparitively priced after exchange, too!

Quote:
3 Year Limited Warranty.
You don't see that much anymore.

Old 06-10-2003, 03:14 AM
beq
Oracle

The 5550 will have built-in USB Host? Cool!

Anyways, I wonder how big this hub's power brick is... But I don't want to go into a rant about how USB should offer more bus power (closer to powered Firewire)...

P.S. Addonics makes a nifty $5 USB Y-cable that plugs into two powered USB ports (theoretically up to 2.5W x 2) and combine their power for devices that require more (like some portable HDD/optical drives)... Heck they also make a high-power USB 2.0 hub that offers up to 4x the "legal" USB bus power for a port (like 2A / 10W) I think...

EDIT: I don't want to go off into a tangent here (too late), but what are ya'll's experience with USB bus-powering portable laptop HDDs? For me, any drive model approaching 30-40GB and up (even the slow 4200rpm variety) needs too much power for some USB ports (especially USB 2.0 ports). I've only had constant bus power success w/ some old 6-10GB drives I have, weird. I've tried enclosures from Addonics, Archos, ADS, many generics from local stores... Anyways I hate having to carry a separate power cable along if I don't need to...

Old 06-10-2003, 03:38 AM
beq
Oracle

Forgot to say thanks for this announcement, I've bought 2 (but it BETTER be the world's smallest and that I won't find anything smaller :twisted

Old 06-10-2003, 05:19 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitequator
The 5550 will have built-in USB Host? Cool!
Sorry ops:, I was referring to plugging the 5550's cradle into the back of the computer and moving some of the stuff I have there now to a hub. But if the 5550 had in-built USB host, I'd grab one in a second regardless of my current financial situation.