Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-09-2003, 03:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Proporta Aluminum Dell Axim X5 Case

http://www.proporta.com/detail.asp?id=406

I've been a fan of leather Pocket PC cases ever since I saw my first Vaja case, but I have to admit that about a month ago Proporta sent me one of their metal cases, and I was blown away: the workmanship and sheer "wow" factor was off the charts! Everyone I show the case to is very impressed with it - it fits like a glove, and about the only complaint I have is that the left-hand access points for the memory card seems like it's a little too far away from the device. I was initially dismayed to see that the case opened from left to right (the opposite of how I'd normally open a case), but after a few days I got used to it. The case itself adds to the overall weight of the already hefty Axim X5, but it's worth it - the case is just so damn beautiful! pclove: The inside of the case is coated in black foamy substance that won't scratch your Pocket PC and makes it fit snugly and securely inside.

One of the things you need to be careful of is dropping the case: the slightest bend in the metal frame renders the case useless, because it will no longer close. I dropped the case from a few feet up onto my hardwood floor (ouch!) and while the Axim was protected, the case would no longer close. It took the deft touch of my wife to carefully bend it back into shape - no matter what I tried, I couldn't restore it to it's previous condition. So, as long as you don't drop your Axim while it's in this case from Proporta, this is a great case.

It would be excellent to see some sort of custom engraving option, even if it did add to the price. I can't imagine how sexy this case would look with a big Pocket PC Thoughts logo on it! :mrgreen: I often find myself trying out various cases for a few weeks, then ditching them, but the Proporta Aluminum case has a permanent home with my Axim. I give this case my highest recommendation.

Old 06-09-2003, 03:37 PM
markan
Ponderer

I'm a big fan as well. I'm getting very adept at bending the case back into shape as well. After all if I didn't drop things I wouldn't need to wrap it in armour. ops:

Old 06-09-2003, 03:38 PM
BugDude10
Theorist

Ummm, what's the point of a metal case that adds size and weight to a PDA and protects it from only one drop before being irreparably damaged? I'm sure it looks cool, but I don't want to spend $$$ on a case that serves its purpose only one time...

Just my $0.02.

B.D.

Old 06-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugDude10
Ummm, what's the point of a metal case that adds size and weight to a PDA and protects it from only one drop before being irreparably damaged? I'm sure it looks cool, but I don't want to spend $$$ on a case that serves its purpose only one time...
Well, my wife was able to bend it back into shape - I just didn't have the patience or skill to do so. Hopefully you're not dropping your Pocket PC so often that this is a problem. :lol:

Old 06-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

I have to agree. This is the sleekest coolest case for anything I've ever owned and I absolutely love it. I ordered it from Innopocket and paid out the butt for it, but man was it worth it! 8)

Old 06-09-2003, 04:14 PM
R K
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to R K Send a message via AIM to R K

Hey Jason, maybe you should contact Proporta about the case's endurance a little further. It does seem odd that the case would get crippled after one drop, especially since Proporta advertises that their cases are made of aircraft grade alluminum for peace of mind against drops and damage.

Old 06-09-2003, 04:29 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R K
Hey Jason, maybe you should contact Proporta about the case's endurance a little further. It does seem odd that the case would get crippled after one drop, especially since Proporta advertises that their cases are made of aircraft grade alluminum for peace of mind against drops and damage.
Sure, I'll see what they have to say about it. It's really just the hinge joint from what I can see - perhaps they can strengthen the hinge somehow?

Old 06-09-2003, 04:45 PM
markan
Ponderer

It certainly protects it for more than one drop. I dropped it 3 times in one meeting on Friday. ops: It required a re-bend after the third time. The worst damage it took was the CF card being spat out.

If it gets hit hard enough on the catch area then the section alongside the jog dial hole can get pushed in. This stops the catch locking, but takes about 1 second to bend back. Without covering the jog dial I don't think that they could have made this strong enough to resist a direct hit.

Old 06-09-2003, 05:08 PM
gcherian
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugDude10

Just my $0.02.

B.D.

It is like the motorcycle helmets.... it protects what it needs to protect (PPC), at the same time doing a supreme sacrifice...lol.... in getting bent out of shape. So what if it is not protecting itself - it is protecting costly PPC inside it. Hope you get the idea here....

Old 06-09-2003, 05:10 PM
MatthewF
Neophyte

I have been using what I believe is the same case re-badged from Rhino-Skin for over a month and it has taken some abuse. This is the most secure I have felt about not cracking a screen since my Jornada with the metal flip cover. I highly recommend it.