Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 05-31-2003, 11:25 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default AximMask Hard Cover for Dell Axims

http://www.pdaordie.com/peakdetail.asp?PeakID=155

PDAorDIE has some nice pictures of a presumably upcoming Axim hardcase. It looks like it makes the unit a bit thicker, but it looks very sturdy and well-designed.

Scroll to the bottom of the linked page for other pictures. Unfortunately, there's no news on when or where it'll be available just yet.

Update: PPCT member Sslixitis points out that Seidio already sells them.

Old 05-31-2003, 11:36 PM
Sslixtis
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Sslixtis

Seido, Inc already has these cases, they call them "Locking Swivel Clip Holsters for the Dell Axim" talk about a mouth full! :lol: The Link above has some nice pics.

Personally, I like the case but would prefer the clip to be on the back of the case rather than the cover. :wink:

Cheers!

Old 05-31-2003, 11:41 PM
Gremmie
Philosopher

Hey, think this would work with the axim-ish 2200?

Old 05-31-2003, 11:49 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sslixtis
Seido, Inc already has these cases, they call them "Locking Swivel Clip Holsters for the Dell Axim" talk about a mouth full! :lol: The Link above has some nice pics.
Good catch! I've updated the frontpage post. I guess I should have read that super-long Axim cases thread again...

--janak

Old 05-31-2003, 11:51 PM
HTK
Intellectual

I think Robocop have one just like this in his left leg

Old 06-01-2003, 12:07 AM
johncruise
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to johncruise

one of the nicest case I see. I wise they had one for Casio E-200

Old 06-01-2003, 01:57 AM
fyiguy
Intellectual

The folks at DS International have it as well. for $29...

http://www.dsi-store.com/cases/show_book.php?isbn=519

I just put a review of it in our review queue and it should be out in a few days, I will post back when it goes live.

It is a pretty impressive case and allows for an expandable battery. It also has a flip ratcheting lid similiar to the Jornada.

Old 06-01-2003, 02:23 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

I got one of these from DSI. It is not bad but it doesn't make the AXIM a Jornada . It does significantly add to the bulk of the Axim as it is fairly heavy (thick ~ 1/8") plastic. The catch at the bottom is secure right now, but it is a click/friction lock that I expect will wear over time. Some sort of a spring in there might have been nice.

It does provide very good access to all the controls and connectors. I find it easier to get to the scroll and such with this than with the aluminum side opening one Proporta (and others) sell. The lid has plastic detents so it can be held open in several positions and can of course be opened and shut with any CF card in the slot or a headphone in.

It has a real advantage to some because it is designed to be usable with the extended battery. Note the cutout on the back. It is notched so you can actually insert and remove a battery while the case is attached.

The belt stud is odd,in my view on the front of the unit, but that does put the back out, if you are geek enough to use the belt clip, protecting the Axim more. It also allows the unit to lay flat on a table to be used. If you have one of these belt clips on your cell phone, you realize you can't lay your phone down on it's back, it rocks over. This case lays flat because the stud is on the front cover. (I'm considering grinding mine off, I'll never use it.)

The clip is like the usual cell phone ones, but it is keyed so you have to rotate the PPC horizontal to get it out. It's fairly natural and it does keep it from popping off as easily as my cell used to.

Another oddity is the power on 'button'. Plastic covers the power on button but it has a bump underneath and you just push the plastic to turn the device on. You can see the dimple on the plastic up between the hinges on the pictures. Note, you can turn the unit on with the cover closed. It doesn't seem like that would happen accidentally though, as the plastic that needs to be pushed is well below the hinge level.

It seems to be a pretty solid case and would provide good protection to the AXIM. It gives good access to all the features and you can open or close the case while using any of the slots, connections. Naturally it does not fit in the cradle with it on, but it is pretty easy to get the AXIM in and out of this case once you figure out the lock mechanism. It easily works with a cable and/or power plug.

I think I like the Proporta aluminum thing better (I have one of those too). It is sleeker, but this one does a better job of making things accessible. I find the Proporta makes the side controls a bit harder to get to. Side opening and flip up would be a personal preference to, and I'm not sure I have a real leaning one way or the other (except my Jornada is perfect).

If you don't mind a little extra bulk, or have dreams of the extended battery, this is a pretty good, functional solution to AXIM protection.

Hmm, that was a sort of run-on post. Sorry about that.

[I was typing this while fyiguy posted it seems. Guess you'll get two views, or a view and a re-view ]

Old 06-01-2003, 02:58 AM
theone3
Intellectual

gotta love the name

PDA or DIE! grow up by your own power! 8O

Old 06-01-2003, 04:15 AM
Macguy59
Mystic

Nice case, but transitions the Axim from brick to cornerstone :lol: