Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 05-31-2003, 02:20 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Intermec 760 Pocket PC Certified For Sprint PCS Network

http://home.intermec.com/eprise/main/Intermec/Content/About/NewsPages/pressRelease?section=about&pressID=468

Intermec's new ruggedized Pocket PC has been certified for use on the Sprint PCA CDMA network. The 760 supports CDMA, 1xRTT, 802.11 and Bluetooth networks. Intermec also has a GSM/GPRS version of the 760. Additional features include 64MB of RAM and Pocket PC 2002 (no mention of Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition.) Of course, what ruggedized Pocket PC would be complete without an SE900 laser scanner to read 1D and 2D barcodes and a place for signature capture.

You can pick one up now from AutoIDSavings.com for a mere $3,085. 8O

Old 05-31-2003, 03:23 PM
danmanmayer
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to danmanmayer
Default hmmm what kind of

what kind of expansion features... SD, SDIO, Compact, my company has been trying to get ahold of a pocket pc phone device with 80211 bluetooth and GPS for ever... IF this has the right expansions it could do it with only 1 expainsion pack... So close

Old 05-31-2003, 04:14 PM
Paragon
Magi
Default Re: hmmm what kind of

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmanmayer
what kind of expansion features... SD, SDIO, Compact, my company has been trying to get ahold of a pocket pc phone device with 80211 bluetooth and GPS for ever... IF this has the right expansions it could do it with only 1 expainsion pack... So close
It can have both SD, and CF. I'm not certain on the IO. You can buy these with a choice of functions based on your needs.

Dave

Old 05-31-2003, 08:23 PM
David C
Intellectual

hmm..... I think at that price and size, an Ipaq with dual slot sleve makes more sense.

Old 05-31-2003, 08:37 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C
hmm..... I think at that price and size, an Ipaq with dual slot sleve makes more sense.
How? It isn't doubling as a cell phone and lacks ruggedized hardware. This is not a consumer device. This is something a delivery truck driver would use and not worry about dropping and kicking across the warehouse floor.

Old 05-31-2003, 08:39 PM
johncruise
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to johncruise
Default Re: Intermec 760 Pocket PC Certified For Sprint PCS Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
You can pick one up now from AutoIDSavings.com for a mere $3,085. 8O
Hmmm... maybe I should get 3 of this. 8O Are they kidding?! With this price, I'd rather soup up a Pocket PC by buying a GPRS card, extra batteries, etc and still have extra money to burn. Anyway, I guess others may have extra money to waste. imp:

Old 05-31-2003, 09:19 PM
rbrome
Intellectual

It's a perfectly reasonable price for that kind of specialized, ruggedized hardware. Intermec and Symbol have whole lineups of these kinds of devices, at these kinds of prices. Personally I like HHP Dolphins because they seem more rugged, but if you want the latest technology, Intemec offers some good stuff, too.

Old 05-31-2003, 09:22 PM
DavidHorn
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to DavidHorn

Why not buy 15 iPAQ 1910s for the price and not worry about breaking them?

Old 05-31-2003, 09:30 PM
dangerwit
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHorn
Why not buy 15 iPAQ 1910s for the price and not worry about breaking them?
In some businesses, downtime = money. In my chosen line of work, it means big problems for hundreds of people (customers like you and me) if equipment goes down and is not readily available. Granted, nothing is bulletproof, either.

Rbrome, we use HHP 7400s as our main scanner. What is so frustrating is that they are so slow to release the Pocket PC 2002 OS upgrade. I am hopefully getting my beta this week with it on there, but it's taken months and many broken promises to get it.

Also, the listed price is rarely what is paid. Usually a purchasing person/group gets a discount of a handful to several hundred dollars ($500+) per unit (especially with the purchase of an extended-period warranty).

*Phil

*Phil

Old 05-31-2003, 09:31 PM
Paragon
Magi

I really think some of you guys are missing the point of these types of devices. They are not light duty. They MUST be ready for use every single day, even after being dropped, left sitting on a bumper in the rain, or bouncing around in the back of a truck. Yes, you could buy three souped up Ipaqs for the money, but the individual using them would be out of service each time one of the Ipaqs broke. The return on investment is much better with one of these types of devices in most enterprise situations compared to a lower cost consumer device. The cost of lost productivity, and added support due to down time quickly surpasses the initial cost of the device.

Dave