Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 05-27-2003, 10:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Microsoft and Hardware

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/m...se/timeline.asp

I'm building a new computer based on a Shuttle design to donate to my local church (a silent auction fundraiser for the children's ministry), and I decided I wanted to buy components to make it look as customized as possible. The Shuttle I purchased has a white/grey motif, so I bought a Microsoft Wireless Desktop keyboard and mouse combo that was down at my local Costco store. The best part? It's a limited edition "Ice" colour that is meant to be an accessory for an iMac, but it looks awesome with the computer case. Top that off with a silver Samsung 172N 17" LCD monitor, and you have a great looking computer!

This got me thinking about Microsoft hardware. I tend to only buy Microsoft keyboards and mouses, and lately I've switched over to their networking gear and love it - slick setup, solid hardware, and it just looks damn good. The hyperlink above takes you to their "hardware history" timeline - I had no clue they've been at this for 20 years! Go check out the timeline - it's a very interesting look at what Microsoft has been doing in the hardware sector over the past two decades.

So why doesn't Microsoft build a Pocket PC? There are some very valid reasons why they haven't, but for the sake of argument, if Microsoft built a Pocket PC, would you buy it?

Old 05-27-2003, 10:43 PM
rocuf
Pupil
Send a message via Yahoo to rocuf

Microsoft has always been good at making computer addons and accessories. But I just dont think they have the talent in place to make whole computing platforms. However with the hardware success with the Xbox that can bring them into some new turnkey products. But we sure dont want them to addopt a apple model for their future. But maybe they need to come out with some more consumer level devises. Use to only use their keyboards and mice but I love my Logitech MX-700 wireless mouse, great for gaming

Old 05-27-2003, 10:48 PM
ombu
Theorist

I can't live without Intellimouse Explorer!!!!

I voted yes although I'm sure MS will never sell a PPC under it's brand, that would go against their business.

Regards.

Old 05-27-2003, 11:03 PM
sponge
Philosopher

I'm one of the 2 people (at least now) that voted they don't like MS hardware. I don't know why, just something about it, like the Intellimouse Explorer, bleh.

Old 05-27-2003, 11:04 PM
ledowning
Ponderer

It would be kind of interesting to see if theycould build and market a PocketPC, although their track record doesn't speak too highly of their first time developments. It usually takes Microsoft several attempts at building a product before they get it right. Anyone remember Microsoft Bob?????

:roll: :roll:

Old 05-27-2003, 11:12 PM
dlangton
Intellectual

I've never liked the way Microsoft suddenly drops products. You'll buy a product, and 2 years later it's discontinued and not supported. Thing is, I like MS hardware - I have a Natural Keyboard Pro (best keyboard ever made) and an optical mouse. I've owned other MS mice. But the keyboard has been discontinued, support is being dropped. I've seen the same thing happen with various game controllers, or the original Intellimouse Explorer, or the MS sound system. I don't trust these guys.

Old 05-27-2003, 11:14 PM
Jacob
Pontificator

I don't have anything against or for MS hardware - I'd go to just about any brand if the price and features are right.

Old 05-27-2003, 11:14 PM
TrojanUO
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledowning
It would be kind of interesting to see if theycould build and market a PocketPC, although their track record doesn't speak too highly of their first time developments. It usually takes Microsoft several attempts at building a product before they get it right. Anyone remember Microsoft Bob?????

:roll: :roll:

Don't confuse software with hardware, the vast majority of their hardware is pretty darn solid. Most of it just plain works. I've never had any particular complaints with any Microsoft hardware I've ever purchased, from keyboards, to mice to joysticks, etc... it's all pretty solid, and does what it's supposed to.

Old 05-27-2003, 11:24 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Microsoft no.....Apple yessss. I'm guessing 40% of what sells PDA's is based on looks and Apple knows how to design a device. As for MS hardware. They only hardware I�ve ever been impressed with is their Joystick and mouse lines.

Old 05-27-2003, 11:25 PM
lmtuxinc
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to lmtuxinc Send a message via AIM to lmtuxinc Send a message via MSN to lmtuxinc Send a message via Yahoo to lmtuxinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlangton
I've never liked the way Microsoft suddenly drops products. You'll buy a product, and 2 years later it's discontinued and not supported. Thing is, I like MS hardware - I have a Natural Keyboard Pro (best keyboard ever made) and an optical mouse. I've owned other MS mice. But the keyboard has been discontinued, support is being dropped. I've seen the same thing happen with various game controllers, or the original Intellimouse Explorer, or the MS sound system. I don't trust these guys.
Yeah, what about that microsoft cordless phone. I alway thought that that was cool, but they dropped it after a year.

Alan

Alan Carpenter
Sprint PCS - Sanyo 5300