Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 05-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default AT&T mLife Limiting HTTPS connections?

I have heard from two people now that just picked up the AT&T mLife mMode mWhatever accounts that when using their phones as GPRS modems for their Pocket PCs, they are not guaranteed an HTTPS (secure HTTP) connection. Apparently AT&T has a limited pool of IPs they hand out that will access HTTPS sites, like web mail or banking sites. You don't get to pick when you log on either, it is luck of the draw. Tech support told one of them that at this time there are no plans to upgrade or make any changes to this. :evil: Well, T-Mobile now has two new customers.

Are any of you mLife customers that have run into this or know anything about it? Tell us what you know in the forums, mKay?

Old 05-24-2003, 03:24 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

I haven't ran into anything yet, and I use it alot (I am always going way over my 8mb limit) but then again I don't think I use a lot of https sites besides my bank (although even then I have never had a problem) so I guess i am just lucky!

Old 05-24-2003, 07:57 PM
MooseMaster
Ponderer

I can say that it has no problems with Ameritrade or E*Trade, and I'd imagine they use secure http, but i can't say for sure or not. I've never ran into a problem.

Old 05-24-2003, 10:34 PM
freitasm
Oracle

Interesting... Vodafone uses NAT addresses on their GPRS network, and because of that some VPN and other connections will not work. But the NAT address is good for people using Vodafone live!, which is a colour WAP service...

If the customer wants a special service, Vodafone has another APN, with access to a full range of IPs.

Perhaps AT&T could do the same?

Old 05-25-2003, 12:04 AM
Abba Zabba
Intellectual

Never had a problem with mMode service. The only problems I've had is with ppc pe not being up to snuff for some secure sites. Like Bank of America won't work, but Citibank will.

-First post using my PPC :mrgreen:

Old 05-25-2003, 11:34 PM
tmhisey
Neophyte
Default No problems with https for me

I frequently use my AT&T GSM/GPRS phone (Siemens) as an infrared modem with my iPAQ 3670. The web site that I spend the most time on this way is my company's Outlook Web Access server, which is, of course, an https site. I've never had any problems getting access to the site.

As a risk management consultant, I travel frequently 8O and I can say that there don't seem to be any geography issues, either...

Old 05-26-2003, 05:28 PM
ElmoZarf
Neophyte
Default It might be the mMode Optimizer

Your problem might not be with HTTPS by itself: it might be the AT&T "Optimizer". The default installation of the PocketPC mMode software (even the desktop software) comes with an "optimizer" that intercepts all your HTTP requests at AT&T's server. The AT&T server then makes the request to the web site and re-compresses things like images (by lowering their quality). The AT&T server then sends the "optimized" pages down to your PocketPC device.

This optimizer can't intercept HTTPS requests, and sometimes it gets stuck on them. If you turn off the optimizer, things work better (but slower).