Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-15-2003, 01:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Marking Time With Digital Maps

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2986655.stm

"Say that you have to be at the train station at 3 o'clock. The software draws a bubble around you showing everywhere that you could walk to and still get to your destination on time," said researcher Brendan Donovan. "The bubble is not a perfect circle as the software is taking account of actual street patterns and the physical features of the city."

This would be great in an unfamiliar city. I often know where I am going but usually wind up getting there way to early because I don't know how long it will take to get from point A to point B. This seems to be a research project so don't look for this software at Handango anytime soon. The research is being done with Pocket PCs.

Old 05-15-2003, 03:20 PM
Stephen Beesley
Thoughts Media Review Team

Now this is an idea I like!

In fact when I followed the link to the BBC article I almost fell of my chair, not just because it sounded like such a good idea, but mainly because I found myself instantly recognising the example street map - Central Dublin!

I have been living in Dublin for about a year now (long long way from home....) and this software would be just about perfect for a city like Dublin where walking is just about the most efficient way of getting about.

Following the links further I see that the idea is from Media Labs Europe based right here in Dublin (in the old Guinness hops store indeed - I wonder if the smell has lingered?).

Goldtee

Old 05-15-2003, 04:02 PM
Kevin Remhof
Intellectual

This sounds like a great concept, but... (yes, there's always a but). For many of us in the U.S., we don't walk anywhere. I'm sure this could be applied to vehicles as well but that introduces a lot of variables: speed, traffic, stop lights, etc.

I have to say though, this is a great idea for research. Imagine if this technology could be applied elsewhere. Say, for example, amusement parks. A lot of places now have "fast pass" systems allow you to virtually queue for a ride. This could easily be extended to showing you (on a handy PDA of course) where you could go while waiting. It could even help you plan out your entire trip. Sounds neat to me.

<sidenote>
I actually wish I had somewhere to walk at lunch. Our company has a great campus full of grass and all, but there is no where to go. I'd love to have somewhere to walk to for lunch. Plus, that could burn off a few calories of that lunch.
</sidenote>

Old 05-15-2003, 05:28 PM
aroma
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Remhof
This sounds like a great concept, but... (yes, there's always a but). For many of us in the U.S., we don't walk anywhere. I'm sure this could be applied to vehicles as well but that introduces a lot of variables: speed, traffic, stop lights, etc.
Similar technology exists in some mapping programs, such as MapPoint. It can create a "Drivetime Zone", in which it can show you a "bubble" of how far you can drive within a specified time limit, taking in to account road speeds and constructions. (Not traffic, however.) Would be nice to have similar features on a handheld mapping program. Anyone know of any?

Old 05-16-2003, 03:08 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Sounds kinda like a cross between Metro, Pocket Streets and a few others.

Old 05-16-2003, 11:57 AM
andrewlwood
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to andrewlwood

yup, you could specify your profile, like in autoroute - how fast you move, preferred routes (a-roads vs. pavements) etc...

Hey you yankees, some of us still walk places! three years in london, and I've not once wished that I had a car There's little point driving in London, especially now that red Ken has made it more expensive with the congestion charge (which is a good thing, whatever Madonna says). And you shouldn't be looking at your PDA screen while you're driving anyway :mrgreen: