Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-15-2003, 06:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Microsoft Portrait 2.1 Release with Improved Features

http://research.microsoft.com/~jiangli/portrait/

Not sure what Microsoft Portrait is?

"Microsoft Portrait is a research prototype for mobile video communication. It supports .NET Messenger Service, Session Initiation Protocol and Internet Locator Service on PCs, Pocket PCs, Handheld PCs and Smartphone. It runs on local area networks, dialup networks and even wireless networks with bandwidths as low as 9.6 kilobits/second. Microsoft Portrait delivers portrait-like video if users are in low bandwidths and displays full-color video if users are in broadband. In low bandwidths, portrait video possesses clearer shape, smoother motion, shorter latency and much cheaper computational cost than do conventional video technologies. Microsoft Portrait pursues providing presence notification, chat/voice/video functions anytime, anywhere, on any device."

If you're a previous user, check out the list of what's new.

Old 05-15-2003, 06:58 AM
Robert Levy
Philosopher
Default Re: Microsoft Portrait 2.1 Release with Improved Features

Woohoo! Finally we have a Smartphone version! I look forward to trying this out.

Old 05-15-2003, 02:23 PM
sting0r
Ponderer

Where are the sdio cameras for pocketpc already????

Old 05-15-2003, 02:54 PM
delfuhd
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to delfuhd

hmm just seems like a lot of bug updates for video... Is an update really necessary? I don't really have a problem with it anyway, i just use it for audio and text chat...

Old 05-15-2003, 03:16 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

I guess I'm even more curious about the broader concept of video conferencing. Does anyone really use this outside of a boardroom every once in a while? We've had video cameras available for the tops of our monitors for years and I've never once in literally thousands of conference calls had someone suggest we use video. I'm positive I'm not in need of seeing someones choppy video of them dressed from the neck up any more than a regular phone call.

Can anyone explain it to me? What would you really use this (Or video conferencing in general) for?

Old 05-15-2003, 04:25 PM
trachy
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdegroodt
Can anyone explain it to me? What would you really use this (Or video conferencing in general) for?
I'm right there with you on this one, BD. A friend and I spent a considerable amount of time one night messing with firewall settings to try out video conferencing. After we finally got the bugs worked out, we quickly realized we didn't want to look at each other. Uncomfortable silences were complimented by uncomfortable stares. It was like we were each watching the other on a stage, waiting for something to happen. We're just not conditioned to see someone while talking on the phone yet.

I think that video conferencing won't be widely used until it's fluid. Once that happens though, I believe it will be commonplace and taken for granted just like POTS.

Old 05-15-2003, 04:43 PM
bcre8v2
Intellectual

Video Conferencing with desktop cameras can be limiting due to many factors such as bandwidth, connection speed, camera resolution, audio quality, and VC software. This contributes to a reduced satisfaction with both the hardware and software. Take the new Nokia phones with the built in camera - These are successful marketing items because of the novelty. These phones won't be compatible with any VC system.
--------------------------------------------------
We have multiple VC rooms in my company which are constantly being used (PictureTel-based systems). The feeling is that these systems work well for many-to-many type meetings. We try and encourage more NetMeeting (desktop) collaboration when a meeting requires one-on-one.
--------------------------------------------------
Portrait has been used by us in 2 scenarios:
1) CTO has been stuck in traffic. He dials up using his PPC phone (with attached camera and MS portrait 2.0) and conducts a very "choppy" VC. We haven't tried MS Portrait 2.1 .
2) As a thin replacement for NetMeeting. The interface is simpler for novice user.
-------------------------------------------------
Usages for Phone-based VC:
Parents requiring their kids to check in.
Grandparents wanting to see their grandchildren.
When you want someone to see the real expression on your face ops:
-------------------------------------------------
My own opinion is that VC has it time and place, but most people don't need it or after they use it for a short amount of time, simply don't want it.

-Steve

Old 05-15-2003, 05:26 PM
R K
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to R K Send a message via AIM to R K

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdegroodt
It seems like video conferencing works really well in long distance chats.
When you can hop over to a buddy's in ten minutes, choppy video conferencing doesn't seem like much, but when you're talking to friends or relatives on the other side of the world, being able to see their face makes the meeting more pleasant.

Back to talking about Portrait--I wish the Portrait team would make a way for full-duplex voice chatting with the Pocket PCs. It worked with PPC2000 by using two different audio codecs but PPC2K2 doesn't have the second one so we only get half-duplex chats for now.

Old 05-15-2003, 05:37 PM
that_kid
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to that_kid

I remember when me and my friend first got broadband. We hooked up the camera's and it was great, then the fun faded and we went back to regular IM. I do have few good uses for Vc though, having my son see and hear my parents and other family members is always great. Most of my family have broadband so we never get the choppy video. I like portrait but It really does need a full duplex driver. the other hard part is getting all my family and friends to install it.

Old 05-15-2003, 06:22 PM
daveshih
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting0r
Where are the sdio cameras for pocketpc already????
Here: http://www.hv.co.kr/eng-hard/sol-sdcam.asp

8)

When it first appeared, it was for CE.Net only, but apparently they've solved the PocketPC2002 compatibility problem, and we should see it sometime this year.

800x600, CMOS lens, 176x144 video recording at 15 pps...

Dave