Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 04-29-2003, 10:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Battery Life: A Two Year Study

With such a pretensious title, you might expect nicely polished results, but that never quite happened. Here's the story: about two years ago, I started working on some battery tests using some testing methods I had worked up. The Pocket PC OEMs were a little generous in their battery testing estimates, and I wanted to get down to the truth about battery life. I started doing tests with every Pocket PC I could find, and the result was a big spreadsheet with a lot of numbers.

About six months ago, I made a plea to the community to see if anyone had the skills to help me build an engine to host and manipulate the data I had collected. A few people offered, but ultimately none of them followed through on their comittments. I'm working on an application now that will completely re-define how we measure Pocket PC performance and battery life, and once it's realeased my data will quickly become overshadowed by this tool. And no, I can't tell you what it is yet. :wink:

So, rather than sit on this data for any longer, I thought I'd just toss it out to the Pocket PC community. So, for better or worse, here's my data. If someone wants to take this data and create some pretty graphics and charts, I'm happy to attach them to this article (400 pixels wide max) - I just didn't have the time neccesary to analyze this data properly. It would also be cool to see someone do up some Q&A's using this data. ie: "Will leaving a memory card in my device affect battery life"? There's so much to learn from this information, so I hope that someone takes up the task of crunching it.

Battery Life Tests
The battery life on most Pocket PCs is still an area where people are disappointed. While the newest Lithium Polymer batteries are getting better and better with power, they still don't last long enough. If battery life is important to you, these tests I've done should help you gauge how long battery life really lasts. These tests are by no means exhaustive, but by testing a constant activity like listening to music and a passive one like idle runtime, you should get a pretty good idea of how long your Pocket PC will last in most cases.

The standard runtime test was accomplished by using KeepAlive by Scott Seligman. KeepAlive sends phantom taps to the screen, making the Pocket PC think it's being used. The backlight settings were changed to never turn off as long as the Pocket PC was in use, and the runtime was written to a text file on the device. Because the Pocket PC is essentially doing "nothing", this test is only a guideline - even with moderate use, the CPU will chew up power and drive this number down. Actually using the device is where the audio test comes in.

How the Audio Test Worked
With the audio playback test, I wanted to isolate the Pocket PC and truly test it without any complications. I took a 64 kbps WMA file ("Smell the Color 9" by Chris Rice), put it on repeat, and turned off the screen. I plugged in a set of headphones, and placed a computer microphone inside the headphones.

I then started an audio recording stream on the PC using SoundForge, and let it run. When the Pocket PC is low on battery life, it will stop audio playback and make an warning sound (beep). Since I could see this audio spike in the audio stream, it was easy to spot how long the battery would last. Trying to play music beyond that point or even use the device results in repeated warnings about the battery life - you might get another twenty minutes of use if you're lucky, and beyond that you run the risk of losing your data depending on the backup battery technology used in your Pocket PC.

The issue of staggered testing has come up. I've heard people say that if they listen to music, stop for a while, then start again, their battery lasts long. This seemed to make sense, but when I did staggered audio testing on the Casio E-125 with a Microdrive (49 minutes, 43 minutes, and 87 minutes of playback), the end result was approximately 3 hours, the same as the regular test.

And the Winner is...
The data is available in two formats: Adobe PDF and Excel 2002. Feel free to download, distribute, and generally do whatever you want with it. It would be nice of you to reference this site though, because I'd like to see the discussion of the results focused here.

Take a look and tell me what you think!

Old 04-29-2003, 10:49 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

Nice work Jason. I'm a little confused about the Dell Axim X5 on Auto Speed. You have 2 entries. One that says 14.0 hours and another that says 6.6 hours. What's the difference in the entries?

15 hours out of a PPC from Dell! WOW! That's really impressive.

Old 04-29-2003, 10:54 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdegroodt
Nice work Jason. I'm a little confused about the Dell Axim X5 on Auto Speed. You have 2 entries. One that says 14.0 hours and another that says 6.6 hours. What's the difference in the entries?
That sounds like the lowest vs. highest backlight settings...but my data may have some errors in it too. It's pretty raw. :mrgreen:

Old 04-29-2003, 10:59 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdegroodt
That sounds like the lowest vs. highest backlight settings...but my data may have some errors in it too. It's pretty raw. :mrgreen:
My bad. You're right. Add to that the potential to swap batteries on the Axim and that's pretty impressive. Would surely get a full days use without issue or a week of occasional use. Plus I believe the Axim allows you to disable the Quick Start application buttons temporarily (Like a Palm from what I've heard.) so no accidental 2 hour rogue power use. I wonder how the 5450 compares.

This should be a nice tool for comparison! A very important topic as all the wiz bang cool features won't mean a thing when you try to power on your dead PPC.

Old 04-29-2003, 11:09 PM
Jhokur2k
Intellectual

I think I might take a crack at running through this - first thing is for me to organize it in a mysql table

Old 04-30-2003, 01:30 AM
chuckers
Neophyte
Send a message via AIM to chuckers

Yea i'm incredibly happy with dell battery life, i usually get a weeks worth of typing notes in class or more on one charge. And great comparison chart, too.

Old 04-30-2003, 01:42 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default HP 56x

Illustrates how far ahead of it's time the HP 56x device was... without the benefit of an XScale CPU - it compares well.

Old 04-30-2003, 02:03 AM
fireflyrsmr
Ponderer

an engineer is in that body somewhere Jason!

as an iPAQ owner I glanced at that data first. The runs with the different size cf cards was a surprise. I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference. Do any of the EEs out there understand that? I'm just an ME who thinks this is all wonderful magic.

the other surprise is the 200% drop between the 3650 and the 3870 with the light on low. While there was only a 40% drop when the music is playing. I understood that the newer iPAQs had a better cpu relative to battery useage but I didn't understand that the lighting technology had that much advantage. Without looking it up i thought the screens were the same. That the new screens came in with those newest fangled ones - 54somethingorother.

Old 04-30-2003, 02:18 AM
R K
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to R K Send a message via AIM to R K

Of course, the lowest backlight setting can mean different things on different Pocket PCs. For instance, the earlier iPAQs only had four backlight settings, while the H38xx had about fifty.

Old 04-30-2003, 02:33 AM
ethancaine
Intellectual

One peice of data I think would be interesting would be dates (month/year) that the models you used were released so as to build a trend chart in Excel.