Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 04-29-2003, 04:00 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default The PDAification of the iPod

http://www.apple.com/ipod/

Apple announced its new iPods today. Apart from the fact that they're sleeker and come in larger capacities, Apple's doing something interesting: they're slowly integrating PDA functions into the unit. The first iPods had a Contacts "add-on" module that you could download and install, although they did only sync with Macs. The new ones have even more: three games, a Notes/primitive e-book module, and an alarm clock.

Without a doubt, I think certain aspects of this approach are clever, but I'm curious as to what, if any, effect this will have on the PDA industry. Is approaching PDA functions from a lifestyle perspective (e.g., a cell phone or iPod) a smart move? (As for the iPod itself, if it had Ogg support, which it doesn't yet, I'd seriously consider buying one today. 30GB! 8O)

Old 04-29-2003, 04:10 AM
ExtremeSIMS
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to ExtremeSIMS Send a message via AIM to ExtremeSIMS

With AAC support, I was pretty pleased. Need to figure out justification in my head for it!

Old 04-29-2003, 04:14 AM
gorkon280
Philosopher
Default Re: The PDAification of the iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Apple announced its new iPods today. Apart from the fact that they're sleeker and come in larger capacities, Apple's doing something interesting: they're slowly integrating PDA functions into the unit. The first iPods had a Contacts "add-on" module that you could download and install, although they did only sync with Macs. The new ones have even more: three games, a Notes/primitive e-book module, and an alarm clock.

Without a doubt, I think certain aspects of this approach are clever, but I'm curious as to what, if any, effect this will have on the PDA industry. Is approaching PDA functions from a lifestyle perspective (e.g., a cell phone or iPod) a smart move? (As for the iPod itself, if it had Ogg support, which it doesn't yet, I'd seriously consider buying one today. 30GB! 8O)
I am not really all that impressed. It's thin, sleak and costs a heck of a lot more then some MP3 players that are just a bit thicker. My Nomad Zen USB 2.0 supports another format other than MP3 (WMA) and can do everything except the games...and who needs that. The PDA is what I use for games.

Old 04-29-2003, 04:16 AM
Steveb123
Pupil
Default PDA of the future

Sometime in the future, your pocket pc, cell phone, and music player will become one. We are starting to see it now with the technology in cell phones as well as the fusion of the pda/phone. There is still sometime, however, till these devices become truly practicle. Someday, pocket pc's will be sporting 10 gig hd's and have truly intregated phone capabilities. this will be rather nice, for i am looking forward to making some more room in my pockets!

for those that haven't seen it, check out the oqo (www.oqo.com). its concept is the future of the pda. when we actually see it though, is another story...

Old 04-29-2003, 04:17 AM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher

The iPod has had an alarm for ages - although the new one can apparently trigger a tune (sounds nice, until you realise there's no built-in speaker ;-)

Wonderful as the iPod (and new iPods) are, perhaps more important is the simulataneous launch of the first online music purchasing scheme that may actually work. I'm using it with iTunes 4 now, and it's wonderful.

As a Windows version is in the works, that may be more important to us Pocket PC users.

Old 04-29-2003, 04:17 AM
Sheynk
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Sheynk Send a message via MSN to Sheynk

Mac look better and better everyday...now move to a new architechture with the same 128 bit processing technology and 3+ ghz :lol: ...in a laptop

really... they look more attractive everyday, but now that Centrino is out, it steals the lead in my perspective

Old 04-29-2003, 04:27 AM
TypeMRT
Pupil
Default Re: The PDAification of the iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorkon280
I am not really all that impressed. It's thin, sleak and costs a heck of a lot more then some MP3 players that are just a bit thicker. My Nomad Zen USB 2.0 supports another format other than MP3 (WMA) and can do everything except the games...
and seemless synchronizing of music, playlists, contact info, appointments and larger screen and easier navigation and USB 2.0/Firewire connectivity and integration of legit music downloads (Apple Music Store). But besides that the Nomad Zen 2.0 is pretty much the same :wink:

Notice: Happy owner of an Apple Powerbook & 20 GB iPod using iTunes 4 & Music Store 8)

Old 04-29-2003, 04:49 AM
dean_shan
Mystic

I want the new iPod even more then the old one. It is still out of my price range though. I like how they added more games and had lit buttons.

Old 04-29-2003, 04:52 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeSIMS
With AAC support, I was pretty pleased. Need to figure out justification in my head for it!
I'm curious, why would this please you? Doesn't AAC have some pretty hard-core DRM features? 99 cents a song is good price, but not if I don't truly own it. Can you play this music outisde of iTunes? Is iTunes the only audio player that Mac users ever use? Seems a little odd to me...that's cool that there's a PC version coming though, I'd like to check this out myself...assuming it's available in Canada by then. I notice this is yet another "USA only" deal.

Old 04-29-2003, 04:55 AM
dean_shan
Mystic

[quote="Jason Dunn\Is iTunes the only audio player that Mac users ever use?[/quote] itunes is the only music player I use when on my (OK my school's) iBook. I'm not a hard core Mac user though.