Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 04-25-2003, 05:00 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default WarWalker: Handheld WiFi Surfing Resource

http://www.warwalker.com/

Here's a promising site with a cool name.

"According to blackwave at www.wardrivingisnotacrime.com: 'WarDriving v. The benign act of locating and logging wireless access points while in motion. - blackwave' Therefore, I say: 'WarWalking v. The benign act of locating and logging wireless access points while walking, using a handheld device.'"

It looks like Mike is going to be building up resources on how to legitimately use public/open access points. If you're an active WiFi user, or just someone interested in being one, you might want to take a look. I do note that he isn't talking about cracking WEP-encrypted networks.

Old 04-25-2003, 05:30 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

blackwave... Everyone's favorite blue-haired goon

To quote Foo Fighters:

Quote:
There goes my hero
He's ordinary

Old 04-25-2003, 07:54 AM
blackwave
Neophyte
Send a message via AIM to blackwave

Greetings,

... all this talk of blackwave! ops:

One thing that I find is lacking are slick warwalking pocketpc themes... Here are my attempts, I encourage any other warwalker out there to create more

blackwave's pocketpc themes
http://www.pocketpcthemes.com/profile.asp?ID=2677

Old 04-25-2003, 06:00 PM
Kaber
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Kaber

there goes the neighborhood :twisted:

Old 04-25-2003, 10:26 PM
bbarker
Philosopher

What I don't have is a warwalking/wardriving program for my Pocket PC. The software that came with my Symbol Spectrum 24 Wireless Networker CF card isn't well suited to this. Any suggestions?

Old 04-25-2003, 11:02 PM
ctmagnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarker
What I don't have is a warwalking/wardriving program for my Pocket PC. The software that came with my Symbol Spectrum 24 Wireless Networker CF card isn't well suited to this. Any suggestions?
PocketWarrior is probably your best bet. Net Stumbler may work as well, but iirc Symbol cards use Prism chipsets which do not weork with MiniStumbler.

Old 04-26-2003, 12:24 AM
bbarker
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus
Quote:
PocketWarrior is probably your best bet. Net Stumbler may work as well, but iirc Symbol cards use Prism chipsets which do not weork with MiniStumbler.
Thanks.

I went to the PocketWarrior site and there are a bunch of files listed on the download page. Which one(s) do I download? I don't know how to tell.

Thanks again!

Old 04-26-2003, 03:37 AM
ctmagnus

Quote:
I went to the PocketWarrior site and there are a bunch of files listed on the download page. Which one(s) do I download? I don't know how to tell.
Go with the first zip file listed.

The files that are named pocketwarrior-src-xxxxxxxx.zip are the source files for each pocketwarrior-xxxxxxxx.zip release. You probably don't want the source files unless you want to do some coding on it yourself . The newest version is at the top.

Old 04-26-2003, 05:35 AM
N0rSr3ym
Neophyte
Default War Driving

Ok, this may be a little off subject but, how the heck to you tell if you are connected to a wireless network when using the ipaq? I have a 3955 and will be using a linksys wcf12 card. I also have access to the new 5455 and some wireless equipped laptops. I was able to get the laptops to network together and each one recognized the other as a wireless connection but for the life of me, I could not figure out how to get the ipaq to recognize the network was present. And how would you map a drive or folder on the network anyway? Am I the only one that is frustrated by the documentation for the handhelds? :cry: :?:

Thanks
N0rSr3ym

Old 04-26-2003, 09:09 PM
bbarker
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus
Quote:
Go with the first zip file listed.

The files that are named pocketwarrior-src-xxxxxxxx.zip are the source files for each pocketwarrior-xxxxxxxx.zip release. You probably don't want the source files unless you want to do some coding on it yourself . The newest version is at the top.
Hmm...it says it couldn't find a compatible device and I can't get it to recognize my Symbol card. Maybe it doesn't support the Symbol.