Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 04-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Casio! Casio! Wherefore Art Thou Casio...?

With the announcement of the new Palm devices, and seeing their consumer-friendly hardware designs, my thoughts wander back to my favourite OEM of all time: Casio. Why Casio you might ask? It's simple: I'm a consumer, and they made a consumer-grade Pocket PC, something that no current OEM is doing.

Now I'm not talking about the slightly dubious quality of the E-200 (apologies to all you E-200 owners). I'm talking about the incredibly tough and well-designed E-125 and EM-500 Pocket PCs. Back when I did the Mobile Experience Tour in 2001, I had 60+ iPAQs, Jornadas, @migos, and Casio devices. These Pocket PCs were hauled around from city to city, unpacked, battered and bruised by thousands of people, then packed up again and shipped off to another city in the back of a huge truck. They took a beating, and what amazed me the most is the way the Casio units stood up to it. The @migos and iPAQs had the highest failure rate, the Jornadas were next, and the Casios after that. I only had one Casio fail on me, whereas the other units had 10+ failures.

Casio, unlike HP or Dell, is a consumer electronics company. They make things like keyboards and watches - technology devices that consumers don't really think of as technology. When people are using computers, they tend to be a little careful with them - because they're "high tech". Most of us would agree that the majority of Pocket PCs made today are fairly fragile. Casio designed their Pocket PCs, especially the EM-500, so be used and abused - which is exactly what a consumer wants in an electronic device they carry everywhere with them.

So that's really why I miss Casio. The fit and finish of their early Pocket PC designs just couldn't be matched, and in the same way the fit and finish of the Sony Palm OS devices can't be matched by any Pocket PC out today. The Pocket PC camp desperately needs a consumer electronics company that deeply understand this issue to bring to market a device that is consumer friendly on every level: size, construction, colour, look & feel - everything.

Old 04-23-2003, 08:40 PM
chuckers
Neophyte
Send a message via AIM to chuckers

E-125 is by far the best design of a pocket pc, It may have been bulky.. but the button layout and durability has not been matched. I wish microsoft wouldn't require this ridiculous button setup to make it look less like a 'gaming' device. They shoot themselves in the foot with that requirement.

Old 04-23-2003, 08:47 PM
Solarix
Ponderer

Preach it Man! I loved my E-125 to death. And It's just sad that the E-200 was such a flop. And yes Damn M$ and their require button layout. I mean come on guys, does the fact that people might see it and think "Handheld Game System not Pocket PC" outweigh the functionality for the consumer? Evidently, so.

Old 04-23-2003, 08:47 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator

I agree! We miss you, Casio! Please, come back! :cry:

Old 04-23-2003, 08:53 PM
ExtremeSIMS
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to ExtremeSIMS Send a message via AIM to ExtremeSIMS

Casio had the first active TFT screens - and man, they looked good. I also liked the button layout. I may not play many games on my PPC, but when I wanted to back then, I could play Turjah. I also got stuck on side scroll wheels, which was a requirement when I bought my Toshiba e740.

Old 04-23-2003, 08:54 PM
kendrick
Pupil

Jason, for the very reasons you've laid out here, I made an unusual decision when it was time for me to upgrade. My current every-day Pocket PC is a Casio E-750, which is the same form factor and size as the E-125 and has a faster processor. But since it's got a MIPS processor and discussion of those devices is discouraged here, I won't talk about it further than that.

-KKC, who also owns a URThere @migo but doesn't use it much.

Old 04-23-2003, 08:55 PM
HTK
Intellectual

My EM-500 is still here and will continue to be here for a while
The only pocketpc I thought about buying was the 1910, but I�ll wait for a sdio capable version of this one before switching

Old 04-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckers
I wish microsoft wouldn't require this ridiculous button setup to make it look less like a 'gaming' device. They shoot themselves in the foot with that requirement.
I'm 99.999% sure that's not the case - Microsoft has no requirements for a specific button layout. AFAIK, the basic Pocket PC requirements haven't changed since Pocket PC 2000. I think the reality is that considering the smashing success of the iPAQ, every other OEM said "Ok, let's copy them" and now we have a lot of Pocket PCs that look a whole lot like iPAQs... :roll:

Anyway, I'm going to check with Microsoft on this, but I don't think you can blame them for this design trend. :lol:

Old 04-23-2003, 09:12 PM
phenderson
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to phenderson

I am sitting herein my office now looking at my Casio E750 TFT display, and my 18 inch Sylvania LCD display and the Casio far outshines the Sylvania.

Old 04-23-2003, 09:16 PM
saquibk
Pupil
Default Couldn't agree more

Have had an EM-500 for almost 2 years now. The other day I dropped it real bad getting out of my car in the parking lot and it survived without as much as a scratch. Talk about build quality! Also, I have yet to see a Pocket PC screen that looks as good as the screen on the EM-500 indoors. The color definition is so true. Apart from the low 16 MB of RAM I have never felt the need to upgrade to any of the newer ones.