Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 05-07-2003, 04:00 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default Charge And Sync Solution From Moonlight Technologies

https://ssl32.securedata.net/moonli...affid=16&id=694

Like most of you, I take my Pocket PC with me wherever I go, especially when I take longer business trips. The downside of the great mobility that the Pocket PC offers, though, is the fact that I always have to take all the extra cables and cords along for charging and synchronizing my device. I thought I had come across the perfect solution to this problem the first time I bought a combination USB charge/sync cable...until I found Moonlight Technologies.

Moonlight Technologies has a really unique way of helping me reduce all the cords and cables I need to carry.

I've seen all kinds of combination USB charge/sync cables, and they do help with part of the traveler's cable problem. As a matter of fact, I've got one for each of my Pocket PCs. By making it possible to charge my Pocket PCs while synching, combo cables eliminate the need to carry a separate cradle and charging cord with me. However, combo cords only charge a device when the PC it's plugged into is turned on. What if I want to charge a Pocket PC without turning on my PC?

That's where the Moonlight Technologies USB Three-Piece Charge/Sync Kit comes in (affiliate link).

Contents
The USB Three-Piece Charge/Sync Kit includes a standard USB charge/sync cable, a special AC adapter and an equally special cigarette lighter adapter. All together, these three little components give me all the flexibility I need for charging and synching WITHOUT the bulk of multiple cables.

How They Work
The 36 inch long USB charge/sync cable works just like any other combo cable. The one from Moonlight Technologies is well-made, sturdy and the connectors are strong and snap neatly into place.

Here's the neat part: in order to charge my Pocket PC without using my PC, all I have to do is plug the three-inch-long AC adapter into the USB end of the combo cable and plug the whole thing into the nearest wall outlet. The AC adapter automtically regulates the voltage, ensuring that my Pocket PC only receives the five volts that it needs for a safe charge. It's even got an LED that lights when the Pocket PC is charging. And, if I happen to be in my car when I need to charge my Pocket PC, I instead plug the combo cable into the cigarette lighter adapter and then plug that into the lighter socket in my car.

So, with these three items, which can all be very easily stored in the corner of my briefcase, I have all the connectors I need to sync and charge my Pocket PC in just about any situation. And, what's even better, because the AC and cigarette adapters both connect via a standard USB port, they can be used with virtually any other USB charge/sync cable. All of my Pocket PCs have the same 5 volt requirement, so all I need is one three-piece kit and a combo charge/sync cable for each device type, and I've got all I need!

Where To Buy
I ordered the kit for my Pocket PC Phone Edition, but Moonlight Technologies has USB Three-Piece Charge/Sync Kits to fit most Pocket PCs, including the most popular HP, Compaq, Dell, Phone Edition and Viewsonic models. They cost $21.99 each and usually ship right away. I ordered mine on a Wednesday and it arrived in the mail the following Monday. You can order them here.

Gotchas
I am really hard-pressed to find anything about this product that is a real "gotcha." The product does exactly what it is supposed to do and the price is reasonable. Because of how useful the small AC and cigarette adapters are, though, I wish Moonlight Technologies sold just those pieces. However, I suppose it's more lucrative to instead sell only the entire three-piece kits.

Conclusions
This is a terrific product for anybody who travels with his or her Pocket PCs, especially if traveling with more than one device (and who doesn't?). Given that the whole purpose of owning a Pocket PC is increased mobility, the USB Three-Piece Charge/Sync Kit should be considered a must-have tool for any frequent traveler.

UPDATE: Mike at Moonlight Technologies has told me that they DO sell the little adapters separately. So, if you want to get one, you can look here.

Old 05-07-2003, 04:13 PM
ux4484
Thinker

You're on the $$$ for this one Brad, this is a GREAT kit, not to mention EXACTLY the same components sold by other vendors for twice as much(or more). I know I've posted Moonlights' link to their Dell kit here and at several other PDA sites when discussing an all-in-one charging solution.
I'd go further to say: As a vendor Moonlight has such a favorable pricing structure that often I look there first to see if they have something I'm looking for, cause I know (most likely) they'll have the best price on it.

Old 05-07-2003, 04:23 PM
yawanag
Thinker
Default Charge and Sync

Thanks. I couldn't click on BUY fast enough.

Old 05-07-2003, 04:51 PM
MonkeyGrass
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to MonkeyGrass Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyGrass
Default Great review

Glad to see these guys getting the props they deserve!!!

I've been buying these kits from them dating back to my POS days. Affordable, high quality, always in stock, pleasant to deal with and fast shipping = one happy PDA user :mrgreen:

I had one instance where they were at a trade show (possibly CeBIT this year) and my shipping got held up while they were gone. They shipped it for free as soon as they got back and gave me a coupon for 15% off my next purchase from them. In this day and age, THAT kind of customer service is almost unheard of, unfortunately. I'm glad to see them get some good press here. Support these guys, they have great gear at great prices and stellar customer service.

Oh and as Brian mentioned, once you buy one of these kits, all you need is the sync/charge cable that fits your model PPC, the power tips are pretty universal. That's what I call smart tech - the ability to re-use your accessories with a minimum of cash outlay as the inevitable upgrades occur.

Old 05-07-2003, 04:54 PM
karinatwork
Philosopher

Will this work for other pocket pc's as well? (i.e. Ipaq h1910?)
In the spec's it states it's for the XDA.

Thanks!

Karin

Old 05-07-2003, 04:59 PM
bljarv
Ponderer

I have had one of these kits for a long time now and it has always worked flawlessly. I have to admit that originally I was slightly concerned about the quality of the product, but I had a little incident last weekend that changed my mind permanently.

I had the DC unit plugged into my van when one of my kids yanked it really hard at a 90 degree angle. The DC plug-in disintegrated! 8O Here I was on the second day of a week long trip 700 miles away from home. After recovering from the initial shock and picking my jaw up off of the ground, I picked up all the pieces and carried them into my host�s home. Upon inspection, I found that although the unit had come completely apart, none of the pieces were broken. I optimistically reassembled the plug-in from the raw components and took it back out to the van. I plugged it in, held my breath, and voila!!! I was back up and charging my iPAQ.

I would recommend this product to anyone looking for a flexible charging/syncing solution for their handheld.

Old 05-07-2003, 05:00 PM
bljarv
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karinatwork

Thanks!

Karin
I have one for my 3955 that works great (see post above) so I know that they make different products for different handhelds. I don't know if they have one for the 1910.

Old 05-07-2003, 05:17 PM
BogdanK
Neophyte

If you get this and you have another PPC can you still use just the end parts???

Old 05-07-2003, 05:43 PM
johncruise
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to johncruise

that's where I bought my car and travel charger a year ago for my old E-115 and so far hasn't let us down. I first learned of them through eBay.

Old 05-07-2003, 05:59 PM
lurch
Thinker

First of all, thanks for this article! I was pondering getting a travel charger, and this made up my mind which one to get... I hope mine arrives soon..

Quote:
Originally Posted by karinatwork
This is because the link provided isn't to the main homepage, it's to the XDA 3-in-1 charger product page... if you click on "PDA Accessories" on the left side of the page, you can select which brand and then look at their available products...
But now that I'm browsing the site, I see cases for the 1910's, and chargers for IPAQs but not including the 1910. Sorry! I hope you can find it...