Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Old 04-13-2003, 03:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default CNet Evaluates 9 PDAs

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-2645869-8-20542449-1.html?tag=ldgif

"Hundreds of PDA manufacturers promise to save your poor disorganized, disconnected soul. We've assembled a list of the top handhelds on the market--from multifunctional Palm-based PDAs to basic Pocket PCs, from bargain-basement deals to flashy bank-busters. Clean up your life with one of these star products."

Among the Pocket PCs evaluated were the Toshiba e750, HP iPAQ h1910 and both the 300MHz and 400MHz Dell Axim X5. All 4 were given the "Highly Recommended" rank. Of course, there were other PDA listed. One of those got "Highly Recommended" and the rest only got "Recommended."

The last thing I need is another PDA right now, but that 1910 looks more attractive every day.

Old 04-13-2003, 03:25 PM
mscdex
Sage

I agree. The 1910 does look very tempting. I was at Staples the other day and was browsing the PocketPCs they had there. I couldn't believe how small the 1910 was in comparison to all the other PocketPCs there! 8O

Now, if only it had a battery with a much larger capacity... :roll:

Old 04-13-2003, 04:04 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari
Default Re: CNet Evaluates 9 PDAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
The last thing I need is another PDA right now, but that 1910 looks more attractive every day.
I can't bring myself to want it. No wifi or bluetooth, ever, is such a deal-breaker for me. I can almost live with the other shortcomings (200 mhz Proc, small amount of RAM), but no connectivity to anything is a major sticking point for me...

It's definitely attractive, but it's hard to justify, at least for me...

Old 04-13-2003, 04:28 PM
ppcsurfr
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
You'll falll into the trap sooner or later... :twisted:

I did. :wink:

It may not be a powerhouse like the other PPCs with dual slots, or Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth... but it is something you can slip into your shirt pocket and not remember it is there... It fits well with if you are well dressed... or in a suit... It isn't something like a replacement PPC for power users... but I am a power user... and I don't mind having one of these.

So... I got one... and guess what... :!: :?: :idea:

I bring it around when I don't need to do presentations, if I don't have to hook up to a phone line... and all those heavy duty work... I got it filled up with all the games and neat stuff I need and it works pretty well... surprising for a small thing... Just imagine running Michael Schumacher Racing World Kart 2002 in it :!: :!: :!:

Find a device that small that can do it...

Carlo Ma. Guerrero
PinoyPocketPC
Mobile Computing for Filipinos

URL: http://www.pinoypocketpc.com
Mobile Phone: +63 (918) 9020700
Mobile Fax: +63 (918) 9320350
Email: [email protected]

Choose the power of Windows.
Choose the Pocket PC.

Old 04-13-2003, 05:08 PM
Steven Cedrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcsurfr
I bring it around when I don't need to do presentations, if I don't have to hook up to a phone line... and all those heavy duty work... I got it filled up with all the games and neat stuff I need and it works pretty well... surprising for a small thing...
I was thinking this would be ideal as an ebook reader. My only question is how does ClearType look on it???

Steve

Old 04-13-2003, 06:16 PM
Sheynk
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Sheynk Send a message via MSN to Sheynk

muhaha my 1 day old e755 is on top!!!

Old 04-13-2003, 06:19 PM
dMores
Philosopher

this review sucks because they didn't even review the fujitsu-siemens pocket loox !

Old 04-13-2003, 08:22 PM
malcolmsharp
Ponderer

I'm seriously thinking I'll get e755. I like the built in networking. But as it will be awhile before I can buy a new one, I'm hoping one with the new chipset and bus size AND networking. Bluetooth would be nice too.

But it has to have CF! I've already gotten a 256 meg card, and I don't feel like tossing it!

Old 04-13-2003, 08:32 PM
Crystal Eitle
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Cedrone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcsurfr
I bring it around when I don't need to do presentations, if I don't have to hook up to a phone line... and all those heavy duty work... I got it filled up with all the games and neat stuff I need and it works pretty well... surprising for a small thing...
I was thinking this would be ideal as an ebook reader. My only question is how does ClearType look on it???

Steve
I think Clear Type looks fantastic on it.

And I haven't had any problems with the battery life. I figure, if it ever does become a problem, I can just buy a spare, or get into the habit of charging it at work.

Old 04-13-2003, 08:35 PM
Crystal Eitle
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzosi
I can almost live with the other shortcomings (200 mhz Proc,
Clear Speed speeds it right up.