Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 03-28-2003, 06:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Unlocks All Round! Orange Frees SPV Developers

http://theregister.co.uk/content/59/29998.html

"Several months after creating a storm by - effectively - locking developers out of its SPV smartphone, Orange has relented, and is offering an unlock procedure. Orange had muffed the SPV developement issue quite heroically by deciding that all applications running on the beast needed to be signed, without first figuring out a route whereby developers could get them signed. But the latest system seems to provide at least some the answers."

Old 03-28-2003, 06:18 PM
Master O'Mayhem
Theorist

about time... sheesh

Old 03-28-2003, 06:44 PM
penpen
Neophyte

i think orange acted under microsoft's pressure. they realized that every silly kid develops series 60 apps, but only a few developers were willing to pay signing fees for smartphone 2002. a turning point in ms's smartphone business?

Old 03-28-2003, 08:59 PM
byehl
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to byehl

Orange developer site, SPV over-the-air unlock page, SPV development model (no contract, certificates, or SIM lock).

Unless I'm missing something, app signing is still required for end-user deployment.

Old 03-29-2003, 01:12 PM
Mike Wagstaff
Intellectual

First of all, kudos to Orange for realising that making development for the SPV near-impossible is not an exceptionally clever strategy. :twisted:

Quote:
Unless I'm missing something, app signing is still required for end-user deployment.
Nope. You can deploy as many unsigned apps as you want to without restriction. The only problem is that an unsigned app will only run on an unlocked phone.

Considering that Orange will not be advertising this unlocking service to the general public, the chances are that only the tech-savvy share of the SPV market will use it to any great extent. Thus, if you're a developer who wants to release a commercially-sold SPV app, you have to decide whether the cost of getting it signed will be financially worthwhile, given the potentially far larger market.

Old 04-03-2003, 08:49 PM
MitzEclipse
Intellectual

Hi All,

I'm closing in on a deal for an Orange SPV, however, it is still locked to the Orange UK Network.

Byehl posted a link earlier here: http://developer.orangews.com/orgspv/comdef.aspx to unlock the SPV over the air. However, that link is not working.

Is there a different link that we should go through to unlock the SPV?

Please let me know - I'm trying to get a way from the 'dark' side I'm currently using a Palm Tungsten T and a Sony Ericsson P800 - let me get back to the PPC OS!

Old 04-03-2003, 09:22 PM
byehl
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to byehl

Orange's OTA unlock page gets pissy if you go directly to it. Go to this page and follow the link:

http://www.developers.orange.com/wor.../04/Unlocking/

Old 04-03-2003, 10:59 PM
MitzEclipse
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by byehl
Orange's OTA unlock page gets pissy if you go directly to it. Go to this page and follow the link:

http://www.developers.orange.com/wor.../04/Unlocking/
Great! Thanks for the link!! Do you know if you can unlock the SPV over the air while in the USA, using a non-orange SIM card (ie: T-Mobile) ?

Thanks for the reply, look forward to hearing from you!

Old 04-05-2003, 06:19 PM
MitzEclipse
Intellectual

Bump -- does anyone know if you can unlock this SPV with a non-orange sim in the USA? Thanks.