Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-24-2003, 10:43 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default HP iPAQ h2200 Series Gets FCC Approval

http://www.brighthand.com/article/H...ts_FCC_Approval

"About a month ago, a rumor surfaced that Hewlett Packard was in the process of developing the iPAQ h2200 series Pocket PC. The FCC has granted permission for the release of these devices, which will offer built-in Bluetooth wireless networking and SDIO support. At this point, it appears that there will be at least two models in the h2200 series, one of which will have integrated Bluetooth and one which won't. Bluetooth is a short-range wireless networking standard used to allow devices to connect together without wires. It's frequently used to allow a handheld to use a mobile phone as a modem to connect to the Internet. An increasing number of Bluetooth-enabled devices are coming on the market, such as GPS receivers, hard drives, and keyboards.

The screen used with the h2200 series will be a transflective TFT LCD with 64K-color support. It will have .24-dot pitch and 240 by 320 pixels. These will be dual slot devices offering a CompactFlash slot and an SD/MMC slot which will have SDIO support. SDIO will allow these slots to handle peripherals besides just memory cards. This includes wireless networking cards, digital cameras, presentation tools, and more. It is not yet known if this series will be a part of the SDIO Now! program."

Old 03-24-2003, 11:10 PM
MitzEclipse
Intellectual

Depending on the size of this PPC, this could be the PPC that I will actually keep using!

I've used so many different PPC's and Palms in the past -- I just need the integrated Bluetooth!

Anyone have any more detailed pics of this device other then the one on Brighthand? Possibly one comparing the size of the 2200 to the 1910?

Old 03-24-2003, 11:40 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default no integrated cover

Good news: dual slot device
Bad news: no integrated cover.

Didn't the iPaq design team learn anything from the Jornada?

Old 03-24-2003, 11:48 PM
Daniel
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Send a message via MSN to Daniel

Well, the Compaq iPaq team no longer exists and they killed the Jornada, perhaps they messed up and ended up with noone from either team?

Daniel

Old 03-24-2003, 11:50 PM
Macguy59
Mystic

Man, I hope the design changes before it goes into production. That's just ugly. I have no great love for the Axim design either, but I would take it over the 2200. :roll:

Old 03-25-2003, 12:10 AM
Paragon
Magi

An Ipaq with a CF slot........when did hell freeze over??

Dave

Old 03-25-2003, 12:26 AM
Paul P
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to Paul P

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteme
Man, I hope the design changes before it goes into production. That's just ugly. I have no great love for the Axim design either, but I would take it over the 2200. :roll:
I think it looks good, especially the metallic area around the d-pad, which looks exactly like the d-pad on 545x. More pics here:

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...=NM8GREATWALLA

Old 03-25-2003, 12:30 AM
bbarker
Philosopher
Default Re: no integrated cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
Good news: dual slot device
Bad news: no integrated cover.

Didn't the iPaq design team learn anything from the Jornada?
I agree. An integrated cover is mandatory. It makes absolutely no sense to not include one.

The Jornada cover easily removable on the Jornada for those who wanted to use a case and didn't want the cover. And many of the popular Palms have had covers. Why doesn't any current Pocket PC have one. I just can't understand it.

One theory: the iPaq team won't design a cover because Jornadas had them. They're suffering from NIV (not invented here) syndrome and don't want to do anything that suggests the Jornada team had any good ideas. Of course, this attitude is at once arrogant and stupid. Someone at HP needs to get with it. They've deigned to give us a CF slot and abandon the bulky sleeve concept. Now give us a cover please.

Old 03-25-2003, 12:50 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default rocker switch

Doesn't look like there is a rocker switch either (unless I am blind).... I know everyone loves to scroll ebooks using just the dpad.

Old 03-25-2003, 12:52 AM
Sslixtis
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Sslixtis

This thing looks ALOT like the Jornada from the back. Especially the stylus holder. I wonder why they didn't slap a cover on the thing???