Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 03-19-2003, 07:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Don't Blame the Memory Card...Yet

Last year I bought a Sandisk Cruzer with a 256 MB SD card included (prices sure have dropped!) and I used the 256 MB SD card in my XDA. When I needed to copy over large amounts of data, I used the eMagic 6 in 1 memory card reader. I had been really pleased with the eMagic reader, and had no problems at all with any of my cards, until I got the 256 MB Sandisk card.

When copying large files, I'd get "bad CRC" errors. I hadn't seen a bad CRC error in a decade! 8O I did a sector scan of the SD card, and it came up clean - yet no matter how many times I tried, I'd keep getting the same error when trying to copy over a large Pharos GPS map. I contacted Sandisk, sent back the card, and received a replacement. The entire process took over a month, which is quite ridiculous when you think about how vital a memory card is - I wish Sandisk would do cross-shipping. But I digress...

I received the new card, and it had the same problem! I was quite displeased with Sandisk shipping me what I thought was another bad memory card, and nearly did a rant about my experience here, but I held off and contacted their tech support again. They asked me to try the memory card reader on a different computer. I thought this was a silly suggestion, but I grudgingly complied. I received the same errors when the eMagic reader was plugged into my laptop. I was starting to suspect the reader, so, playing a hunch, I put the SD card into a Pretec SD to CF adaptor, then put that into a CF to PCMCIA adaptor (boy did that look strange!). And, much to my delight, I was able to copy many large files, and even one singular file that was 130 MB in size!

So the lesson of this story is that the next time you have a problem with a memory card, try using it in a different memory card reader - you may not have a bad card after all. Now off to get one of those new Sandisk USB 2.0 All-in-One card readers. [Affiliate]

Old 03-19-2003, 07:37 PM
egads
Theorist
Default Re: Don't Blame the Memory Card...Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
So the lesson of this story is that the next time you have a problem with a memory card, try using it in a different memory card reader - you may not have a bad card after all. Now off to get one of those new Sandisk USB 2.0 All-in-One card readers. [Affiliate]
I just started using the Sandisk USB 2.0 All-In-One and boy is it fast.
I highly recommend it...

Old 03-19-2003, 07:38 PM
jizmo
Thinker

I've also used the Sandisk Cruzer and it has completely changed the way I exhange data between computers, pda's and digital cameras. I've never had such freedom of conveniently transferring data in a small package, and nowadays I'd feel downright crippled if I couldn't use my SD card with any desktop computer like I can today.

For the Sandisk cards, I heard some warnings but I myself don't have anything but praises. They've worked flawlessly for me and are quite moderately priced.

/jizmo

Old 03-19-2003, 07:46 PM
Hank Scorpio
Ponderer

I have a compact flash card with the name AVL on it. It's a192 mb card but I can only copy 18 mb before the whole thing freezes. I ran drfrag on it and then did a scandisk for errors and nothing, I've used 3 different card readers to see if it's the reader, but I get the same results for each one. The problem started when I lent the card to my brother and he tried to get pictures f of it through his Sandisk card reader on a Mac. since then it's been screwed. Anyone know how to fix it or is the card destined for the garbage? I bought it on eBay so I can't find out if there is a wareranty or where to send it.

thanks for any help

Old 03-19-2003, 07:55 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

I've just bought a 256Mb Sandisk Cruzer as well - it should arrive any day now.

That USB2, 6 in 1 USB Flash Card Reader looks nice....... 8)

Old 03-19-2003, 08:19 PM
fivespeed
Pupil

Jason, I don't know the specs of the eMagic reader. But I know most people that have problems with 256 MB SD cards in fact have card readers that only support up to 128 MB SD cards. I know fry's electronics was selling one for cheap (most people got in on that deal) which only supported 128 MB SD cards. They were getting CRC errors as well with their SanDisk 256's.

Old 03-19-2003, 08:30 PM
PPCRules
Thinker

WAIT, Wait, wait. A bit too fast, Jason.

If the card doesn't work in any reader that another SD card works in, there is something wrong with the card. Maybe 'defective' is too strong a word for it, but there is something wrong. And again, if any other SD card works in the reader, you can't call the reader defective.

I would at best call it 'unacceptable', and the manufacturer or retailer should be obligated to take it back. I had this very experience with a Lexar CF memory card, where it worked in one reader but not another. I wasn't willing to accept the hassle having that around would cause so I returned it. And now I avoid an Lexar memory product so as not to get into that again. (I've had no other problems like that among about 6 or 7 other brand cards in seven or so readers and devices.)

Old 03-19-2003, 08:47 PM
whitey
Pupil

Over and over again i hear and read about people having problems with SanDisk SD cards. After all the problems and issues with theese cards i would NEVER buy one!! Instead i got myself a Lexar 512mb SD and im very pleased with it. It reads and writes fast and i've copied also 350mb mpeg1 videos with no problem on it. Finally i can carry around my ipaq without bulky jackets!!

Old 03-19-2003, 09:03 PM
JackG
Neophyte

I just bought one from ecost.com http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=445222

and it is only $69 with free shipping in the USA

Old 03-19-2003, 09:19 PM
klinux
Sage
Send a message via MSN to klinux

I got my 256MB Cruzer from Ecost three months ago for $100! Damn price drops.

I have a firewire CF reader for the last 12 months and love it. Where are those firewire multi-format readers!?