Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Thoughts Site Updates

Old 03-19-2003, 10:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Google AdWords

By now, most of you have probably noticed ads like this on the site (also in the skyscraper zone):

Google has partnered with Tribal Fusion, the company that takes our excess ad inventory and slides in banners. What Google has done is very interesting, and worth noting: they spider the site, analyze it for keywords, then dish up Google AdWords that are appropriate to that page, very similar to what you see when you do a search on Google. These ads are highly targeted, and I've found some pretty cool stuff by clicking on them, so you may want to do the same.

Old 03-19-2003, 10:22 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Hey, I was interested in the add you used as an example but I couldn't click on it :?

Old 03-19-2003, 10:34 PM
welmoed
Intellectual

I would love to use this feature but for some reason Google has turned into the Search Engine from Hell for me. I clicked on one of the links on the left that looked interesting, and the page that popped up was Google's home page! But the address in the bar was the address of the target page.

This happens when I do a google search too... I will click on one of the results and get redirected back to Google's page. :?

I realize this isn't a support forum but does anyone have a clue why this may be happening? I haven't changed any settings or upgraded or added anything, and Google's is the ONLY site that acts this way.

--Welmoed

Old 03-19-2003, 10:43 PM
nishka
Pupil

I noticed that the other day.. Even stranger was that five minutes before coming to PocketPCThoughts I was looking for barcode equipment.. On the PocketPCThoughts, up pops barcode ads! Couldn't believe it. The links were exactly what I was looking for .. It could have saved me an hour's worth of research .

Old 03-19-2003, 11:26 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by welmoed
I would love to use this feature but for some reason Google has turned into the Search Engine from Hell for me. I clicked on one of the links on the left that looked interesting, and the page that popped up was Google's home page! But the address in the bar was the address of the target page.
This sounds a lot like spyware - download LavaSoft AdAware and run it:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Old 03-20-2003, 02:50 AM
PeterLake
Ponderer
Default Re: Google AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
By now, most of you have probably noticed ads like this on the site (also in the skyscraper zone):
What is a skyscraper zone? :confused totally:

Old 03-20-2003, 02:52 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Google AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLake
What is a skyscraper zone? :confused totally:
The long vertical ad on the left side of the front page. That format is typically called "skyscraper", as opposed to "banners" which are on the upper-right and are horizontal.

--janak

Old 03-20-2003, 03:04 AM
PeterLake
Ponderer

Thanks. I would have hated to use "skyscraper zone" incorrectly in a sentence.

Old 03-20-2003, 03:56 AM
acronym
Intellectual

kinda odd, but there could be pictures of my parents doing handstands on the top or left & right columns of any webpage and I probably wouldn't even notice it

Old 03-20-2003, 01:50 PM
welmoed
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
This sounds a lot like spyware - download LavaSoft AdAware and run it:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Done and run... it didn't seem to find anything related to Google but we'll see if it makes a difference. Thanx for the tip!

--Welmoed