Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-18-2003, 10:03 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Pocket MVP 0.8Q Released

http://forums.projectmayo.com/viewt...c=6109&forum=23

Looking for a good general-purpose freeware media player? Check out Pocket MVP!

"The Pocket DivX Player is a FREE Open Source multifunction video and audio player for the PocketPC platform that can play DivX, OpenDivX, MPEG-4, MPEG-1 videos and MP3 audio."

The latest versions has some noteworthy enhancements:

"...I've created an entirely new mpeg-1 decoder for PocketMVP. It is FAR FAR FAR(get the point) superior to that of the old one based on ffmpeg...In fact in performance testing the decoder itself FAR outperforms the PocketTV decoder, new decoder only matches or slightly outperforms PTV standard edition."

There's a disturbing bit of text on the page that surprised me:

"I know this seems strange, but we recently discovered that PictPocket had actually used(without license) the PocketMVP Divx decoder source in their Player. When contacted about this they admitted it, and pulled Divx form their supported file list, however they obviously had no clue what GPL was and were extremely unwilling to provide any compensation to this project for the money they had made in using our source code."

If the above is true, shame on Digisoft!

Old 03-18-2003, 11:07 PM
gorkon280
Philosopher
Default Oh my god!

It's been PPCThoughtted! It's server is like this! :bangin:

Old 03-19-2003, 12:38 AM
portus
Ponderer

In my brief testing, the new MPEG-1 decoder does show video play back performance that's seemingly on-par with PocketTV, however, there're two issues in this release: (1) audio/video synchronization problem. PocketTV does a much better job on this. (2) I got "frozen frame" once in a while palying back both DivX and MPEG-1 videos using .8Q release. Not experienced in previous builds.

PocketMVP is, however, definitely a very useful and capable multimedia player.

Old 03-19-2003, 01:14 AM
thanos255
Intellectual

can someone post the exact link for dl'ing this program update. I am finding only the 2002 versio with no reference to the newer version.

Thanks
Thanos

Old 03-19-2003, 01:49 AM
thanos255
Intellectual

Here is the link:

http://home.adelphia.net/~mdukette/downloads.html

Thanks
Thanos

Old 03-19-2003, 02:05 AM
Duncan
Pontificator

Quote:

"I know this seems strange, but we recently discovered that PictPocket had actually used(without license) the PocketMVP Divx decoder source in their Player. When contacted about this they admitted it, and pulled Divx form their supported file list, however they obviously had no clue what GPL was and were extremely unwilling to provide any compensation to this project for the money they had made in using our source code."
PictPocket (along with pretty much everything else Digisoft have produced) is 'poo'. Crap at everything it does. Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that they felt the need to steal someone else's superior work to add to their over-priced digital excrement.

Old 03-19-2003, 05:55 AM
Gamma Ray
Pupil

Quote:
"In fact in performance testing the decoder itself FAR outperforms the PocketTV decoder, new decoder only matches or slightly outperforms PTV standard edition."
Jason, I don't get this quote. Does this version of MVP "FAR outperform PTV" or only "matches or slightly outperforms PTV standard edition." It can't be both...

Old 03-19-2003, 06:29 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Ray
Quote:
"In fact in performance testing the decoder itself FAR outperforms the PocketTV decoder, new decoder only matches or slightly outperforms PTV standard edition."
Jason, I don't get this quote. Does this version of MVP "FAR outperform PTV" or only "matches or slightly outperforms PTV standard edition." It can't be both...
Well, those aren't my words - that's a quote from the page I linked to, so you'll have to ask the guy who wrote them. :mrgreen:

Old 03-19-2003, 06:30 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
Quote:

PictPocket (along with pretty much everything else Digisoft have produced) is 'poo'. Crap at everything it does. Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that they felt the need to steal someone else's superior work to add to their over-priced digital excrement.
You know, I don't know the guys at PictPocket, but I'd have to agree to some extent - I was really excited about the supposed Quicktime file playback, but I couldn't find a SINGLE Quicktime file that would work! :devilboy: The MPEG playback was brutal...pretty much everything about the application was brutal. I can only hope they've improved it since then. 8O

Old 03-19-2003, 07:03 AM
Jude
Pupil
Default PictPocket & PocketMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
Quote:

You know, I don't know the guys at PictPocket, but I'd have to agree to some extent - I was really excited about the supposed Quicktime file playback, but I couldn't find a SINGLE Quicktime file that would work! :devilboy: The MPEG playback was brutal...pretty much everything about the application was brutal. I can only hope they've improved it since then. 8O
Digisoft definitely hasn't improved PictPocket. I just did a review of the most recent version for a magazine, and although I hadn't heard about this bit of news before submitting my review, I'm so glad that I gave PictPocket horrible marks. It's actually an okay slideshow program, but a truly awful multimedia player. It does play Quicktime files, but only Quicktime 3 or older encoded using the ancient Cinepak codec. The irony is, I ended up comparing it to Pocket MVP, unaware that PictPocket was using technology stolen from it! Fortunately, I gave Pocket MVP top marks.

I wonder why the Pocket MVP developer didn't highlight its ability to play Ogg Vorbis files? That's what I mostly use it for. Also, they really should put a link to the actual download page in a big, bold URL (www.pocketmvp.com). High time this program gets onto Pocket PC Thoughts' frontpage.