Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 03-12-2003, 09:48 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Samsung Posts Details On i700 Pocket PC Phone

http://www.samsung.com/Features/Tec...ct_SGH-i700.htm

Samsung, in concert with their announcement at CeBIT, has posted details on their new SGH-i700 Pocket PC Phone. Note that this is the GSM version, not the CDMA version, but that makes sense as the CeBIT is in Germany. I'd expect the CDMA specs to be very similar. Now let's just hope it comes out soon... the specs look fantastic.

Old 03-12-2003, 09:59 PM
redlikemethodz
Neophyte
Send a message via AIM to redlikemethodz
Default Waiting.....

I've been waiting for months for this PPC/Phone to come out. I hate having to carry a phone and a PPC around. Can't wait.

Old 03-12-2003, 10:05 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

No Bluetooth, no sale. Pretty cool unit. But no cigar.

Old 03-12-2003, 10:10 PM
tj21
Pupil

How about a PPC version of the SGH-i500 It's a PalmOS 5 device but it has a 320x320, 32mb ram and a 300mhz Xscale with SDIO so they should be able to make something similar in a Pocket PC version.

Old 03-12-2003, 10:19 PM
dlipetz
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj21
How about a PPC version of the SGH-i500 It's a PalmOS 5 device but it has a 320x320, 32mb ram and a 300mhz Xscale with SDIO so they should be able to make something similar in a Pocket PC version.
I think what you want is the Samsung SCH-i600. It's a clamshell type CDMA mobile phone with the Microsoft� Smartphone operating system. Similar to the i500, but based on Microsoft OS rather than Palm.

Now, cross your fingers and hope that it is announced at CTIA this month. But don't hold your breath...

Old 03-12-2003, 10:24 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksfiona
No Bluetooth, no sale. Pretty cool unit. But no cigar.
It has SDIO...

Quote:
Just to expand on dlipetz, the reason a clamshell Pocket PC Phone would be so hard to do is because of the large (320x240) screen. That would be one very large clamshell. Smartphones have a smaller display for this very reason.

--janak

Old 03-12-2003, 10:54 PM
sullivanpt
Intellectual

I originally gave up Sprint because they were dragging their feet on a Pocket PC PE. I had planned to switch back to Sprint when the CDMA i700 came out. Now it looks like T-Mobile/GPRS will stand a good chance to keep my business.

Too bad the hardware is lacking, Sprint's voice quality truly was noticeably clearer.

Old 03-12-2003, 11:01 PM
rubberdemon
Ponderer

Notice that the specs say 'usb' right next to SDio and IRDA. That doesn't mean it has usb host capabilities, does it? Probably just it connects to your usb port...

Also interesting that it has 64MB RAM and ROM... I wonder how much of the ROM is user-accessible...

Old 03-12-2003, 11:14 PM
CTSLICK
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlipetz
Quote:
I think what you want is the Samsung SCH-i600. It's a clamshell type CDMA mobile phone with the Microsoft� Smartphone operating system. Similar to the i500, but based on Microsoft OS rather than Palm.

Now, cross your fingers and hope that it is announced at CTIA this month. But don't hold your breath...
No I think he really is talking about an SGH-i500 I had to look twice because the specs did look PPC-ish not like Palm at all.

Check out this article at Brighthand
http://www.brighthand.com/article/Sa...unces_SGH-i500

Old 03-12-2003, 11:28 PM
revolution.cx
Intellectual

Well it's just too large for me, about the same size as the XDA. www.MSMobiles.com has this picture of a phone edition that might be more manageable:

I love the size of my SPV but the larger screen would be nice.

They are also reporting (and I've heard elsewhere) that Samsung has dumped SmartPhone for Symbian but they will be making Phone Edition.

They have a bunch of photos from CeBit, including one of an 802.11 SD card plugged into an iPaq.