Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-12-2003, 12:30 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Free Password Management Software!

http://www.pdacorps.com/default.asp...pages/pmpda.htm

PDACorps has decided to release their Password Manager Suite software for free.

"Password Manager Suite is a FREEWARE application by PDA Corps. This software is distributed as a salute and thank you to all our users and the many PDA sites which have shown us such tremendous support and respect. We thank you all, and hope that you like Password Manager Suite, our gift to you."

Old 03-12-2003, 12:36 PM
mpattman
Ponderer

There is already a PocketPCThoughts skin for it!

http://www.pdacorps.com/default.asp?...pmpdaskins.htm

Old 03-12-2003, 02:19 PM
vetteguy
Ponderer

I've been looking for an application like this. I would have gladly paid for it, but getting it for free is even better. Thanks PDACorps!

Old 03-12-2003, 02:38 PM
van_mierlo
Ponderer

Woow this is great but it is a 4MB application. That is as much as the high quality graphics action games for the PPC....hmmm.

I must say the interface is looking good and you have a lot of options to change some colors settings within the skins

Old 03-12-2003, 02:56 PM
Ben909
Ponderer

Hi van_mierlo
You should find that the actual install directory is about 245kb. Plus a folder with some skins in it (about 200kb) in your 'my documents' folder. The SH3 version is slightly smaller still. There were a number of files included in the installer that most people will already have, hence the larger file size.
Pleased to hear you like the program though.
Ben

Old 03-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Cracknell
Ponderer

Everybody just assume these password management stuffs actually work.

Has anybody actually tried cracking any of this supposedly secure stuff? How much effort is needed and what sort of algorithms are being used? Don'te we need some sort of test and review to know these?

We know the strength and weaknesses of GnuPGP and DES, minus the implementation holes, but not commercial password management. How can anybody feel secure storing data that gives access to $5000 account if the pasword can be broken using a $2000 computer in 20 minutes for eg?

well... mmm...

Old 03-12-2003, 03:59 PM
Bob Anderson
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracknell
Everybody just assume these password management stuffs actually work.

Has anybody actually tried cracking any of this supposedly secure stuff? How much effort is needed and what sort of algorithms are being used? Don'te we need some sort of test and review to know these?

We know the strength and weaknesses of GnuPGP and DES, minus the implementation holes, but not commercial password management. How can anybody feel secure storing data that gives access to $5000 account if the pasword can be broken using a $2000 computer in 20 minutes for eg?

well... mmm...
Good point, but I've come to the conclusion long ago that if there is data on my computing device (laptop, pda, desktop, et. al.) and someone wants it, they'll figure out a way to get it. It's simply a matter of time.

So, having said that, programs like this one help us deter the casual "snooper" from gaining access to the data. It's very cool that PDA Corps is offering this program for free...

Old 03-12-2003, 04:12 PM
smileyguy
Pupil

This app looks nice, but what about us poor schleps that are still stuck using a MIPS device. If they can support SH3 why not MIPS.

Old 03-12-2003, 04:13 PM
van_mierlo
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben909
Hi van_mierlo
You should find that the actual install directory is about 245kb. Plus a folder with some skins in it (about 200kb) in your 'my documents' folder. The SH3 version is slightly smaller still. There were a number of files included in the installer that most people will already have, hence the larger file size.
Pleased to hear you like the program though.
Ben
Ben,

Thanks for the explanation...you are right if ...I go to my folder where it is installed(storage card) I can see now that it is small. So I will uninstall it and reinstall even onto my ppc's memory...Maybe you wanna change the info if you select not to install in default directory!

Old 03-12-2003, 05:14 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpattman
There is already a PocketPCThoughts skin for it!

http://www.pdacorps.com/default.asp?...pmpdaskins.htm
Heh...awesome!

I wonder, does this app support XML import/export?