Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 03-10-2003, 05:13 PM
fmcpherson
Intellectual

Is your back facing the wall, or are you perpendicular to the wall?

Old 03-10-2003, 05:14 PM
Peter Foot
Thinker
Default Re: The End To My Struggle With RSI Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
"Personal triuph" - that sounds like a made for TV movie idea. :roll:
Although Personal Triumph sounds better :wink:

Old 03-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcpherson
Is your back facing the wall, or are you perpendicular to the wall?
Perpendicular to the wall - it also helps if you lift your chest up to get a deeper stretch. But if you've build up the damage over the years, more than likely you'll need some ART treatments before the stretching will help. The ART unlocks the muscles, then you do the stretches to keep them unlocked. :-)

Old 03-10-2003, 05:41 PM
ux4484
Thinker

Good article Jason,

I went to a Chiropractor in '84 for a compressed lowest disk and neck pain. A Surgeon first told me I was 6 months away from back surgery, the Chiropractor disagreed. After 1.5 years of therapy (and ART type back excercises that I still do to this day) I even revisited the Surgeon, when showing him my "after" X-rays, he thought they were someone "elses" X-Rays and ordered another set, when he asked what I had done to correct my back problem. I informed him I went "Chiropractic". He was actually disgusted, and asked me to leave. He predicted that within 5 years I'd be back the way I was......heh, I have been fully recovered ever since.
I don't doubt one bit that ART has helped you, and that it can help many RSI sufferers.
I've always stretched during long computer session, but there has always been some physical component to my career so I'm not plastered to a keyboard all night, and only on some occasions get RSI type pain.

I'll be giving ART a run, to prevent further problems.

Good Share!

Old 03-10-2003, 05:47 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ux4484
A Surgeon first told me I was 6 months away from back surgery, the Chiropractor disagreed. After 1.5 years of therapy (and ART type back excercises that I still do to this day) I even revisited the Surgeon, when showing him my "after" X-rays, he thought they were someone "elses" X-Rays and ordered another set, when he asked what I had done to correct my back problem. I informed him I went "Chiropractic". He was actually disgusted, and asked me to leave.
It's a surgeons job to cut, and doctors job to perscribe drugs - each have their places, but not in all circumstances. Soft muscle therapy is a far less invasive and dangerous procedure than getting cut open. That said, sometimes surgery is needed for some types of injuries. It's best to explore your options, and always look into "alternative" therapies. Although I'm quite confident that ART will be a mainstream technique within a few years.

Old 03-10-2003, 05:50 PM
ux4484
Thinker

heh.......considering that, should you change your av to a more "ART" hero instead of that Surgeon Wolverine?

Old 03-10-2003, 05:53 PM
cpoole
Ponderer

I have had upper back, neck & shoulder problems for years. I went to a chiropractor for years and had some relief. I recently started going to a massage therapist who uses deep massage. I do not go to the chiropractor any more. I get a 1/2 hour massage session about every 10 days & try to do regular exercise & stretches. I am now about 90% pain free. It does not hurt to try different methods... I am gald that you found the right one for you.

Old 03-10-2003, 06:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpoole
I have had upper back, neck & shoulder problems for years. I went to a chiropractor for years and had some relief. I recently started going to a massage therapist who uses deep massage. I do not go to the chiropractor any more. I get a 1/2 hour massage session about every 10 days & try to do regular exercise & stretches. I am now about 90% pain free. It does not hurt to try different methods... I am gald that you found the right one for you.
I don't want to dismiss what works for you, but I too was doing the massage therapy route for several years. The problem is, it's not permanent - you can rub a muscle to relieve some tension and make it feel good, but massage doesn't get rid of that scar tissue (and going for a massage every week or two can be expensive!). If at all possible, I'd encourage you to give ART a try - I haven't had an ART treatment in about six months, and the only time I have to go back is if I slack off in my stretching and my muscles get messed up again. :roll:

Old 03-10-2003, 06:01 PM
SassKwatch
Philosopher

Are there specific therapies for individual fingers?

My 'mouse finger' has been a sufficient problem that I've started mousing around with the other hand.

-= Sass =-

Old 03-10-2003, 06:05 PM
Dyehouse1
Neophyte

I have the perfect answer, purchase the following:

Footrest
Decent high backed chair
Logitech MX500
MS Natural Keyboard

.....added bonus is that your gaming improves too