Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 03-06-2003, 11:00 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default Compact Flash WiFi Card For Any Budget

http://www.trendware.com/products/TEW-222CF.htm

If you're looking for an inexpensive 802.11b (WiFi) card for your Pocket PC or Notebook computer, you might want to give this one from TrendNet a try. I haven't used it myself, but one of our astute readers has pointed out that it's often available for around $55.

You can read all of the card's specs by clicking on the link above. However, since prices on these kind of things change very frequently, here's how to find the best price: Go to the Pocket PC Thoughts home page and enter "TEW-222CF" into the PriceGrabber search window in the upper right-hand corner (and then click on "GO.") When I tried it, I found five Web stores selling it for under $60.

Happy hunting! (By the way, if anybody has used this specific card, it would be great if you'd post your impressions of it to this thread.)

Old 03-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Fzara
Thinker

i think that any CF WiFi card today is cheap, not just this one.

In fact, the Dell TrueMobile Wireless 802.11b card is being sold for about $60.

Old 03-06-2003, 04:10 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

I have two trendware wired ethernet cards, a 10 and a 10/100. They work very well and they were also very cheap. I think I payed around $25US for the 10/100 when the only other 10/100 CF in existance was around $179US.

Good stuff.

Old 03-06-2003, 05:23 PM
RHighley
Pupil
Default Follow-Up from the "alert reader"

My TEW-222CF WiFi CF card arrives this afternoon and I will be posting an assessment sometime next week.

I have used both a Trendware TE100-PCBUSR 10/100Mbps CardBus Ethernet Card with my laptop and a Trendware TE-CF100 10/100Mbps CompactFlash Ethernet card with my Pocket PC. They both work extraordinarily well. I tried both Pretec and Socket CompactFlash Ethernet cards with my Pocket PC beforehand and was unhappy with both.

I hope my experience with Trendware's WiFi card is similar to that with their other products. However, it is well to bear in mind the old saying "you tell the pioneers; they're the ones with the arrows in their backs." :wink:

Old 03-06-2003, 05:39 PM
jeffmd
Thinker

ok now go find us some cheap bluetooth

Old 03-06-2003, 08:06 PM
Joff
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fzara
i think that any CF WiFi card today is cheap, not just this one.

In fact, the Dell TrueMobile Wireless 802.11b card is being sold for about $60.
the TrueMobile is it a PCMCIA card or CF card? It makes quite a difference. Also, does it come with WinCE drivers? Otherwise it is useless for PPC users. It's good to see more WiFi cards in CF format. The advantage is that you can use it with both your PPC and Laptop 8)

Old 03-06-2003, 08:47 PM
dacs29
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joff
the TrueMobile is it a PCMCIA card or CF card? It makes quite a difference. Also, does it come with WinCE drivers? Otherwise it is useless for PPC users. It's good to see more WiFi cards in CF format. The advantage is that you can use it with both your PPC and Laptop 8)
Dell sells a couple different networking cards under the TrueMobile name. (mini-PCI, PCMCIA, CF, WAPs, etc.) They do sell a CF WiFi card though. It's the TrueMobile 1180 and currently costs $69. They also sell a Bluetooth TrueMobile 300 which costs $69 and is also a CF card. Finally, they both come with PPC drivers.

David

Old 03-06-2003, 08:57 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

RHighley,

Can you let us know if this card works with Mini-stumbler?? I'm looking to pick up a CF WiFi, but I would really like it to work with Mini-Stumbler.

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2003, 09:17 PM
Underwater Mike
Thinker

Jeff,

A couple weeks ago, CU$A had the Ambicom CF BT card for $29 after rebate. I think that special is over now, but there might be something similar someplace else. You know how one special like that tends to spawn others...

BTW, I didn't bite on the BT card. Gotta wait until I finish my taxes and find out whether to cheer or weep. :?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd
ok now go find us some cheap bluetooth

Old 03-07-2003, 12:45 AM
RHighley
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRocket
RHighley,

Can you let us know if this card works with Mini-stumbler?? I'm looking to pick up a CF WiFi, but I would really like it to work with Mini-Stumbler.

Thanks!
A little confession is in order: while I am reasonably knowledgeable about wired LANs, the Trendware WiFi CF card will be my first venture into 802.11b territory. Hence, my question: what is a Mini-Stumbler?