Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 03-04-2003, 09:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default CEO Candid on Sony's Future in PDA Space, And Yeah, They Want PalmSource

http://www.alwayson-network.com/comments.php?id=246_0_2_0_C

AlwaysOn interviewed the Chairman and CEO of Sony Corporation at the World Economic Forum recently. It is an interview charged with bold statements on Sony's view of the handheld space. One of those statements was about PalmSource.

Perkins: You would buy Palm�s software business?

Idei: Yes, if they want to sell.

If they want to sell? Not sure they will have a choice. Despite PalmOS's commanding lead in handheld volume, their financial performance leaves a lot to be desired. For a while now, people have been speculating that Sony will just snap up PalmSource and leave PalmSG to wither away, including Jason in his "Sony will buy Palm" thought late last summer.

He also thinks Nokia is missing the boat on what the real opportunity is for the mobile handset business. This is part one of a three part interview. Parts two and three are to be published later this week. Perhaps in one of those Mr. Idei will confess Sony is giving up the Memory Stick and embracing an open memory card standard. :? So, after reading this and Jason's prediction, what do you think?

Old 03-04-2003, 09:24 PM
pocketpcdude1024
Thinker

Yes, Sony will indeed own Palm, probably sooner than later. Sony has put put what, 20 models in a year? Palm hasn't put out that many ever! Sony is really putting themselves in the hands of PalmSource, someplace it doesn't like to be with its innate controlling nature (think LabelGate). Anyway, it would be truly funny as, like the vote jokingly predicts, Microsoft buys Sony after Sony buys PalmSource... 8)

Old 03-04-2003, 09:31 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

Just what you want as an ailing company- Your biggest partner declaring your death bed made and ready for your inevitable departure.

Old 03-04-2003, 09:45 PM
Paragon
Magi

So it begins.......
Sony buying Palm will be a good thing for everyone concerned, I think.

Aside for the Palm issues he talked about, I really liked what he had to say about the music industry. He is a very powerful, and influential man, let's hope he can get the music industry heading down the path that he seems to think will work. That is to embrace the internet!....sorry changing topic.

Dave

Old 03-04-2003, 09:50 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

I love this juicy quote from the Sony CEO:

Three years ago the Palm was so simple, but it is getting better and better.

:lol:

--janak

Old 03-04-2003, 10:02 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

God this is nuts. I love the Pocket PC format but I want the Palm OS to have a long and prosperous future. The day Sony owns Palm is going to be a nightmare for all PDA users both in the Pocket PC camp and the Palm camp. Sony is one of those companies that is totally unpredictable and that makes them dangerous wheeling a company like Palmsource and Peanutpress.

Ed you still have me scared pissless with your comment about Palm owning Peanutpress. They are so gung-ho about DRM they very well could do some major alterations to that company. 8O :?

As for Palmsource. Someone mentioned they may turn them into the Apple of the PDA world. What a freaking nightmare if that happened. The Pocket PC camp NEEDS strong competition because without it the Pocket PC OS WILL become stagnant. That and the fact that having choices is a good thing.

Old 03-04-2003, 10:35 PM
Paragon
Magi

You're self medicating again Jonathan! You make it sound like Sony has weapons of mass destuction. :roll:

Dave

Old 03-04-2003, 10:35 PM
Gremmie
Philosopher

PalmSource is going public before years end, probably during the fall. I don't think Sony will buy enough of PalmSource to technically own it, but Sony may raise a fair amount of cash for PalmSource.

Old 03-04-2003, 10:52 PM
carphead
Thinker

One of the good things about palm is there doesn't appear to be a really restrictive license conditions. Think of it as Windows CE rather than Pocket PC.

The good thing about this is that it brings in innovations that you don't see in the pocketpc format. One of the problems I see with PPC is that it doesn't really innovate more evolves. For example the 36xx series was a really ground breaking piece of kit but the 54xx what really does it have that the 36xx didn't? BT, WLAN, Memory, Screen, biometrics. What else? Nothing that really makes you think amazing does it?

Now the Sony NV that's cool! I'd kill for a PPC version of that!!!

Once Sony buys Palm I guess we'll either see Linux or CE take the innovation to the next stage.

Old 03-04-2003, 11:10 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan1
Ed you still have me scared pissless with your comment about Palm owning Peanutpress.
So much so you are confused about who will own what. :wink:

I know Jonathan... I get night-sweats dreaming that future PeanutPress books will only work on Sony Magic Gate memory sticks. 8O :shocked!: ukeface: