Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 03-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default The First OLED-Enabled Camera

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0303/0...6kodakls633.asp

OLED adoption is slowly growing. Kodak just announced the EasyShare LS633, with a 2.2" OLED display.

My read into this is that vendors are really looking to adopt it, but the technology is holding them back -- this is a small display and as such is more manageable than a PDA display or, even more difficult, a full desktop screen. Let's hope OLED adoption spreads soon!

Old 03-03-2003, 10:45 PM
toshtoshtosh
Ponderer

2.2 inches on a Camera, that's pretty damn big!

The question is, does the fact that it's OLED have anything to do with the fact that it's the biggest screen on a Camera?

Old 03-03-2003, 10:46 PM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
This large, full color, full motion, flat panel display is sharp, bright and features 165� viewing angles for on-camera viewing and sharing.
Kinda beats the crap out off the viewing angles of trans********ive screens doesn't it.

Dave

Old 03-03-2003, 11:02 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

OLEEEEEED......my preeeecioussss.... :twisted:

I've been waiting for this day to come for a LONG time - let's hope 2003 is the year of OLED!

Old 03-03-2003, 11:13 PM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
OLEEEEEED......my preeeecioussss.... :twisted:
Easy does it there Gollum......

I hear that OLED screens are supposed to be much better at energy use???

Has anyone heard of any PPC OEMs experimenting with these yet?

Dave

Old 03-03-2003, 11:19 PM
Duncan
Pontificator

Now I remember reading a report on this a short while ago - I think it was an interview in a PC mag with the people behind OLED. There are some camera and mobile phone manuafacturers who are producing units with OLED screens this year - and some un-named PDA manuafcturers who are planning OLED based PDAs for 2004.

Old 03-03-2003, 11:22 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Damn. Just when I was getting used to Transflective screens I have to change my complaints. From now on I'll be asking..."Does it have an OLED display"? 8)

Old 03-03-2003, 11:26 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

I seem to remember a review from one of the Conferences or Trade Shows (Comdex in Las Vegas???) that had a picture of a PC-sized screen (I think about 15inch) which was supposedly completely OLED. The reviewer said the picture didn't do the screen image justice -- I was simply gorgeous. And the thickness was not to be believed -- it looked like the screen was just over 1/4 inch thick from front to back!

I'm with you guys.. I can't wait to see these come out for the Pocket PC and replacements for Plasma TVs.

Old 03-03-2003, 11:29 PM
Duncan
Pontificator

The competing colour LEP (Light Emitting Polymer) displays are due to be ready for mass display by the end of this year also (from Cambridge Display Technology) with an (again un-named) PDA manuafcturer planning a 2003 release of a blacl and white display PDA.

Old 03-03-2003, 11:37 PM
rbrome
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshtoshtosh
2.2 inches on a Camera, that's pretty damn big!

The question is, does the fact that it's OLED have anything to do with the fact that it's the biggest screen on a Camera?
Possibly - OLEDs are generally thinner because they don't require a backlight. That might make it easier to fit in a larger display.

There's also the fact that Kodak is trying to become a major OLED display manufacturer. They would also like to make the OLED displays in your future cell phones and PDAs. So they are leveraging their digicam unit to get this display out on the market quickly.

I think the point of this camera is really to show off Kodak's OLED technology. Sure they want to sell some digicams, but they also want people in the mobile devices industry to take notice. If it seems oversize, that may be one reason.

BTW, Kyocera today announced two digicams with HUGE 2.5" LCD displays, so I think they might have the title of largest - but 2.2" is still pretty huge.