Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-03-2003, 04:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Toshiba to build Canadian Wi-Fi service

http://www.globetechnology.com/serv...r/einsiderstory

"Toshiba of Canada Information Systems Group (ISG) is launching a nation-wide pay-per-use wireless Internet access system. "Toshiba Hotspots" will involve the installation of wireless Internet access in retail and public locations across the country, the first program of its kind to be introduced by a computer manufacturer in Canada.

"When Canadians gain access to wireless communications they fully enjoy the benefits of mobile computing," said Mary Ann Yule, vice-president of marketing for Toshiba of Canada ISG, in a statement announcing the project. "We've been putting notebook computers into the hands of Canadians for 18 years. We see this as the next step in creating total computer mobility -- we're giving those same people the Wi-Fi infrastructure and accessories necessary to access information anytime, anywhere." Several Toshiba Hotspots are already operational, and it plans to have more than 1,000 available across Canada within the year."

Old 03-03-2003, 05:41 PM
ExtremeSIMS
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to ExtremeSIMS Send a message via AIM to ExtremeSIMS

I wonder how profitable the business will be for Toshiba. From all appearances, this business (WiFi hot spots) is a long-term investment - certainly T-Mobile and other carriers are experiencing slow growth right now.
I would like to see it take off - the more people wired, the more likely people will use AIM and ICQ on their PDAs and laptops. While T9 (Tegic) on cell phones is great, it is still cumbersome for a lot of people.

Old 03-03-2003, 06:09 PM
rubberdemon
Ponderer

The really interesting part of this news release for PocketPC people, if you look at the original, is that they're releasing the Audiovox GPRS CF card.

"GSM/GPRS CF Card
In addition to announcing Toshiba Hot Spots, Toshiba also introduced the RTM-8000T by Audiovox, a GSM/GPRS CF Card which uses cellular networks to extend Toshiba notebook computer and Pocket PC. The RTM-8000T uses wireless, modem data transmission through the GSM/GPRS-based networks to send packets of information, such as e-mail or phone calls, over existing cellular networks.

The Toshiba GSM/GPRS Compact Flash Card carries a suggested list price (SLP) of CDN $399. It will be available through select dealers or direct through www.shoptoshiba.ca"

Old 03-03-2003, 11:29 PM
bbarker
Philosopher

Since it's wireless, naturally the US will get it last.