Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 02-27-2003, 11:26 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default Dude, You Still Want a Dell?

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/series_pda_snp.htm

If you've been holding out on plunking down your change to get one of the Dell Pocket PCs, the time may once again be right. As they've done in the past, Dell is offering great prices on their two Axim models. After a $50 mail-in rebate, the model with the 400 MHz processor and 64MB RAM is $299 and the 300 MHz/32 MB model is only $199.

Of course, you have to buy the device from the Dell Web site in order to get the rebate. Other terms include:

"Rebates are redeemable after purchase at regular price (before rebate price). Rebate offer valid with new Dell Axim X5 Handheld purchased by 3/19/03 11PM CT. Rebate coupon must be postmarked within 30 calendar days of your system ship date."

I know there have been plenty of reviews published about the Dell Axim, but just let me add my own 2 cents-worth: I've had one for a couple of weeks now and simply LOVE it. I've stuck a Bluetooth CF card in it, and it has effectively replaced my iPAQ 3850. This is a great Pocket PC at a great price.

Old 02-27-2003, 11:48 PM
MPSmith
Thinker
Default Re: Dude, You Still Want a Dell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
This is a great Pocket PC at a great price.
I think that says it all, Brad. This is my seventh pda (2 palms, 4 PPC's and one HPC) in 3 1/2 years. I've been looking like crazy for something like this Dell. I am thrilled with it. Could I think of some improvements? Certainly. I can improve anything. But for the price, this PPC cannot be beat right now. It has moved the bar higher than ever before. I've convinced three close friends to buy one in the last week; I have never done that before.

Well done Dell...

Old 02-27-2003, 11:50 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Yup, I convinced a work colleague to buy one as well.

They are NICE! (But need a flip cover :?)

Old 02-27-2003, 11:56 PM
Birdman
Theorist

Only in the US, eh? Pity.

Old 02-27-2003, 11:58 PM
eternalblue
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman
Only in the US, eh? Pity.
Tell me about it, I'm waiting for something similar to happen in Canada. Hopefully we will have our day in the sun.

Old 02-28-2003, 12:42 AM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

My only regret was that I didn't apply my 10% discount towards the USB cradle when I had a chance. Now I'm stuck purchasing one separately which is costing me $40. Oh well, live and learn. :splat:

Old 02-28-2003, 12:47 AM
PetiteFlower
Magi

Foo--check ebay, there are some cradles on there. Just better not outbid me!

Old 02-28-2003, 01:57 AM
shawnc
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSmith
But for the price, this PPC cannot be beat right now. It has moved the bar higher than ever before. I've convinced three close friends to buy one in the last week; I have never done that before.

Well done Dell...
Well said MPSmith, well said indeed!

Old 02-28-2003, 04:23 AM
WindWalker
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnc
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSmith
But for the price, this PPC cannot be beat right now. It has moved the bar higher than ever before. I've convinced three close friends to buy one in the last week; I have never done that before.

Well done Dell...
Well said MPSmith, well said indeed!
I concur. I have talked 6 co-workers into getting Axims...almost all before I ordered my own.

Lest we end up sounding like a bunch of syncophants, I can make one complaint, more about Dell's not being able ot handle demand than anything about the Axim itself. But on the device itself, the only thing I can say it truly lacks is SDIO, but that is hardly a huge issue.

All I need now.....is Sprint to FINALLY come out with that Sony Ericssen Bluetooth phone...

Old 02-28-2003, 06:08 AM
pocketpc67
Pupil

dell axim definitely great, perfect size, good design, I am even getting used to the dpad