Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 02-18-2003, 10:27 AM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Developing Smartphone Games

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsmtphn/html/smartphonegames.asp

I recently wrote an article for Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) on the subject of Smartphone development, "Developing Smartphone Games". If you are interested in how to avoid common Smartphone development pitfalls, you should check this out. I turned to Sven Myhre, CEO and developer at Amazing Games, to get some inside knowledge about writing efficient games.

"How do you use your normal vectors? Are they used primarily for light calculations or visibility testing? I use a 2:8 fixed point format for my normal vector components, meaning I have a full -1.99609375 to +1.99609375 range available, with a 0.00390625 resolution. In other words, I have 8 bits of fractional resolution to cover a full 360 degrees with 1.4 degrees resolution. On a tiny screen like 176x220, no one can tell the difference if a point is lit with a (worst case) +/- 0.7 degrees wrong direction to the light. The benefit is that I can store both x, y, and z components in a singe word."

Old 02-18-2003, 11:19 AM
Cardie
Pupil

I'd like to point out that all the fancy graphics ain't gonna cover up a crap game. Games such as Defender from the early eighties have survuived through gameplay, not just nice graphcis and ray tracing. Developers need to make sure they get the balance right, and perhaps bias the gameplay instead of the gfx slightly at the design stage.

Old 02-18-2003, 12:04 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardie
I'd like to point out that all the fancy graphics ain't gonna cover up a crap game. Games such as Defender from the early eighties have survuived through gameplay, not just nice graphcis and ray tracing. Developers need to make sure they get the balance right, and perhaps bias the gameplay instead of the gfx slightly at the design stage.
You bet! That is 100% true!

Old 02-18-2003, 01:14 PM
isrjt
Ponderer
Default good read

I have been wondering when you were going to post on this. I read it a few days back on msn. Thanks for bringing the technical developer stuff to this site.

Old 02-18-2003, 01:28 PM
felixdd
Philosopher
Send a message via ICQ to felixdd Send a message via AIM to felixdd Send a message via MSN to felixdd Send a message via Yahoo to felixdd

Graphics always come second to gameplay -- and most game developers know that. Some just get caught up with adding every little detail they begin to neglect gameplay -- an easy pitfall to get caught in.

But the screenshots look like mechwarrior....<drool>...want mechwarrior....need mechwarrior...<drool some more>

Old 02-18-2003, 03:23 PM
ironguy
Sage
Default Ahhh, that explains everything!

Quote:
"How do you use your normal vectors? Are they used primarily for light calculations or visibility testing? I use a 2:8 fixed point format for my normal vector components, meaning I have a full -1.99609375 to +1.99609375 range available, with a 0.00390625 resolution. In other words, I have 8 bits of fractional resolution to cover a full 360 degrees with 1.4 degrees resolution. On a tiny screen like 176x220, no one can tell the difference if a point is lit with a (worst case) +/- 0.7 degrees wrong direction to the light. The benefit is that I can store both x, y, and z components in a singe word."
It all becomes clear now...

No wonder I can't beat these games.

Old 02-18-2003, 06:08 PM
suhit
Ponderer
Default Fathammer's XForge3D

Before I post the link that I am about to post, I would like to say that I agree that good graphics aren't necessarily going to make a good game. However, a mediocre game may sell well due to very good graphics.

Anyways, I do like Fathammer's XForge3D game engine. Plus it is supported on multiple OS/platforms -
Symbian OS�
Microsoft� Smartphone
Microsoft� Pocket PC
Palm OS� (version 5.x onwards)
Mobile Linux
(No, I do not own stock in the company :wink