Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 02-17-2003, 10:23 AM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Three Initial Thoughts

Back from Microsoft headquarters in Redmond. Over time and as Non Disclosure Agreements expire you will see quite a few posts related to what we've seen and heard. In my first "thought", I will highlight three (of many) things that struck me during the week.

First, it is amazing how well synchronized Microsoft is throughout its organization. It is very apparent that executive directions articulated in high level executive presentations by Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer are materialized in physical deliverables from product groups, teams and developers. The consistency spans both tangible aspects such as technologies and features as well as intangible aspects such as passion for great software. Specifically, I went from listening to Microsoft executives to participating in really technical sessions with the Windows .NET Compact Framework developers. In the chats we had on the topics of namespaces, security, dynamic link libraries and so forth, the Microsoft developers clearly showed that what they did really linked up to the overall architectures.

Second; price, hardware creativity and development tools. In my personal opinion, these three PDA factors will alone decide how well Microsoft succeeds in the PDA market during the coming 12-18 months. The average Pocket PC price has to come down, OEMs will have to start innovate their hardware and Microsoft has to successfully bring its .NET development tools to developers. Failing in any of these areas will bring pain and agony.

Third; Smartphones. With a market share of approximately 0%, Microsoft needs to get its act together. I can't reveal anything of what we saw and what we didn't see, but regardless of that, this is what needs to happen: more partners throughout the value chain and many more very innovative Smartphone models. Failing in any of these areas is fatal.

All in all, we will see very cool things happen during the coming months and it is clear that Microsoft is highly committed in winning in the PDA market and getting into the smartphone market.

Old 02-17-2003, 12:44 PM
awierenga
Pupil

"Microsoft has to successfully bring its .NET development tools to developers. "

I want to develop freeware apps for the compact framework is there some kind of free IDE I can use?
MS Embedded Visual C++ could be used freely, will microsoft release a .NET compact framework equivalent; or some kind if license with which you can use VS.NET and SDE?

Old 02-17-2003, 01:32 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by awierenga
"Microsoft has to successfully bring its .NET development tools to developers. "

I want to develop freeware apps for the compact framework is there some kind of free IDE I can use?
MS Embedded Visual C++ could be used freely, will microsoft release a .NET compact framework equivalent; or some kind if license with which you can use VS.NET and SDE?
As far as I know, licensing is yet to be decided. However, there will be only one IDE and it is VS .NET.

Old 02-17-2003, 02:26 PM
awierenga
Pupil

I know there already are some open source IDE's out there for C# (http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx). I don't know if it will work for the compact framework. If you restrict your app to the subset of class libraries supported by the compact framework will it work?

Old 02-17-2003, 02:26 PM
EvilOne
Intellectual

The VS .NET IDE will allow you to do .Net CF work. The eVC++ 4.x will allow you to do the normal C/C++ work like eVC++ 3 does. But things may change since it is not all out yet.

Old 02-17-2003, 02:27 PM
PJE
Thinker
Default eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0

While looking into this over the weekend I found:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/de...d/download.asp

This allowed me to download the full eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0, although I have not had chance to install it yet.

This may be what you're looking for.

Regards,

PJE

Old 02-17-2003, 02:31 PM
awierenga
Pupil

exactly that, only I want to code in C#

Old 02-17-2003, 02:34 PM
Paragon
Magi

Hey Andy, good post. I doubt many of us expect any of ther MVPs to break any kind of NDA. I know for myself I wouldn't want to see anyone even push the envelope on that issue. However to portray your general thoughts of what to come is very helpful, thanks.

You mention three key factors in the continued success of POcket PCs, price, hardware, and development tools. Development tools is very key, and Microsoft can control that. It has been I think a big reason for the jump in success in PPCs from earlier MS platforms. Price is a tuff one for Microsoft to control. Hardware......although I have asked this question before I have never really seen anyone answer it. What are the actual hardware requirements Microsoft has for OEMs to meet for PPC standards? Is there anything in those requirements that may hold back an OEM from really pushing the envelope, or even joining the PPC family...Sony comes to mind :-).......yeah, yeah I know it ain't gonna happen.

Dave

Old 02-17-2003, 03:34 PM
tonyv
Pupil
Default .Net is WWAYYYYY too expensive

Nobody but big corporations will be able to develop for Pocket PCs at the current .NET prices. Microsoft needs to stop gouging their developers. I thought they learned their lesson when they brought out their free tools, but now its unaffordable again

Old 02-17-2003, 03:44 PM
wxrman
Pupil
Default Prioritizing...

Just my two cents worth....

At some point we(developers/content providers) probably need to figure out what people want/expect/desire on pocketpc's, palm os, and smartphones. These items are lumped together in one kiosk at the local electronics stores, but connectivity is still difficult, if not impossible for the average user.

Hardware:

PocketPC's
Do people want be able to take their "desktop" with them, or would they want this to be the "portable heart" of their desktop system, i.e. what a laptop is to a docking station.

If so, is the current screen size adequate? Is the 320x240 size, and for that matter, the physical screen size, limiting those users to entry, that feel the screen is too small?

Palm OS

Probably will continue to exist much like Apple does vs. Microsoft.

Smartphone

Just how far can we take something with such a small screen. Do you REALLY want to edit a word doc on your phone? Personally, I would like simple bluetooth connectivity with my pocketpc. Combined ppc and phone seems excessive when mobile phones with bluetooth seems a simpler solution.

Maybe a "Slave Mode" for phones whereby the ppc would given the ability to "take over" the blue-tooth equipped mobile phone, and utilize it to get internet access.

Software:
Kind of follows the hardware as to what a user/potential user wants to do with the system. Excellent contact integration with Outlook, but could be operated without need for connection with ppc or desktop. Maybe have the option to pull outlook update when successful bluetooth connection made.

gotta have games... I don't like turbulent flights and solitaire isn't captivating enough to get my mind off the "bouncing" wings outside my window.

Personally, I would want the above scenario and maybe have the ppc as a "portable brain". I not a fan of having to move files back and forth and utilizing separate/different programs to edit files.

Wireless Internet
Seems to be a disparity as to what is offered in the way of high-speed internet via mobile phone carriers. Sprint has excellent phones but is limited to digital networks, Verizon has excellent coverage but a horrible line of phones, others fall somewhere along these lines. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but the first to provide a good solid, blue-tooth enabled phone, that integrates easily with my ppc... will have my loyal business.

I guess that's something to "chew" on.