Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 02-14-2003, 10:39 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default PDA Problems Spawn a Mini-Industry

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/si...ogy/5172487.htm

The article talks about the growth of an industry to provide repair services for PDAs. Too bad they don't mention my favorite, PPC Techs; but they do have this very funny quote:

"My PDA dropped in the toilet. I have been heating it and spinning it around in a sock but it doesn't seem to help. What about putting it in my refrigerator? It dries things out. Maybe my dehydrator? It dries our fruit."

I hope none of your PDAs have ever been dropped in a toilet, and even if so, that you haven't refrigerated it... :lol:

Old 02-14-2003, 10:50 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

wrt stuff like PDAs and notebooks, I always get the extended warranty.

So far, I've had to send my iPaq back for touch screen damage 3x, toasted ROM 1x and damaged synchronization connector 1x. I've also swapped a dual PC Card expansion pack and an RS-232 cable. Seven exchanges and I haven't paid a cent. That's customer service. 8)

Old 02-14-2003, 11:20 PM
Fzara
Thinker

I dont want to ask..but I my concious is forcing me to...Why in the world would you have your PDA with you on the toilet? And then what? You got some toilet paper and put it in the same hand?

This is def. the strangest story I've ever heard.

Old 02-14-2003, 11:28 PM
Paragon
Magi
Default Re: PDA Problems Spawn a Mini-Industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
I hope none of your PDAs have ever been dropped in a toilet, and even if so, that you haven't refrigerated it... :lol:
Nope, not my PPC. I did drop my Motorola Timeport in the porcelain throne though. Fried it good! My nine year old now has the coolest most realistic looking toy phone on the block.

It would be nice to see a few more options for PDA repairs. For Pocket PCs we are lucky to have guys like Leonard, and company at Pocket PC Tech. I think it is going to be increasingly more difficult to make a go of it now, with the cost of PPCs dropping (Thank You Dell ) Why spend the money to replace a broken screen when you can buy a new one for $200.00. It then limits the market to the higher (overpriced ) models being worth the bother.

Dave

Old 02-14-2003, 11:40 PM
R K
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to R K Send a message via AIM to R K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fzara
I dont want to ask..but I my concious is forcing me to...Why in the world would you have your PDA with you on the toilet? And then what? You got some toilet paper and put it in the same hand?

This is def. the strangest story I've ever heard.
It could have fallen out from a shirt pocket as the guy went to flush the toilet.

Old 02-15-2003, 12:03 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by R K
It could have fallen out from a shirt pocket as the guy went to flush the toilet.
Same thing happened wsith my Nokia 3210 once. It still worked fine afterwards though. 8O

Old 02-15-2003, 12:23 AM
Kaber
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Kaber

Wifi PDA, DSL, and a trip to the WC.

http://news.google.com every morning before work.

Old 02-15-2003, 02:26 AM
dean_shan
Mystic

Quote:
Why in the world would you have your PDA with you on the toilet?
A lot of people take a book with them on the john. Now if one of those people got a new ebook they might do the same thing.

Old 02-15-2003, 03:39 AM
Fzara
Thinker

R K, I didnt realize the shirt pocket thing. I had a diff. idea in my mind, but thanks for a take from another perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_shan
Quote:
A lot of people take a book with them on the john. Now if one of those people got a new ebook they might do the same thing.
How long could anyone spend on the john MAX? Me, personally, spend no more than about 30 seconds. Now if you're one of those fat, constipated guys, then a book could be justified.

Old 02-15-2003, 05:07 AM
WindWalker
Ponderer

Quote:
R K, I didnt realize the shirt pocket thing. I had a diff. idea in my mind, but thanks for a take from another perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_shan
Quote:
How long could anyone spend on the john MAX? Me, personally, spend no more than about 30 seconds. Now if you're one of those fat, constipated guys, then a book could be justified.
Nothing like a good sweeping generalization to get the party going.....