Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 02-12-2003, 02:30 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Lawsuit Challenges Embedded EULAs

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-98398...html?tag=fd_top

Here's a pet peeve of mine: the idea that an EULA is enforceable even if you can't read it before you open the package! I just picked up a copy of Windows XP Professional Upgrade for a machine I was fixing today, and (from CompUSA at least) it comes in this plastic container which is a royal pain to open, and contains a cardboard box with 80% of empty space inside it. The outside of the box says nothing about the license, but by the time I get to read it (after booting the CD) it's already too late to return. I'm glad to see someone finally complain...

"A California woman is suing Microsoft, Symantec and some software retailers, claiming the companies 'concocted a scheme' to mislead consumers by requiring them to consent to software licensing agreements they haven't read.

The suit, filed Friday in Marin County Superior Court in San Rafael, Calif., seeks class-action status on behalf of all Californians who've bought software including Norton Antivirus 2002, Norton Systemworks and Windows XP Upgrade.

Specifically, the suit, which was brought by Cathy Baker, claims that Microsoft, Symantec, CompUSA, Best Buy and other unnamed retailers don't allow people to read 'shrink wrap' licenses--agreements printed inside the box or incorporated into the software itself--before they buy a product."

Old 02-12-2003, 04:28 AM
Rirath
Pontificator

I'm sure there's some legal merit behind this... but it makes even ME feel like I have a life. Big surprise it's a woman in CA.

Old 02-12-2003, 04:42 AM
JMountford
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to JMountford Send a message via AIM to JMountford Send a message via MSN to JMountford Send a message via Yahoo to JMountford

OK Everyone knows what an EEULA is if you buy software....

Still.. how do I get in on this suit!!!

Old 02-12-2003, 04:52 AM
Weyoun6
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Weyoun6 Send a message via AIM to Weyoun6 Send a message via MSN to Weyoun6 Send a message via Yahoo to Weyoun6

I just hope this brings on some EULA reform...

Old 02-12-2003, 05:13 AM
DVallot
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to DVallot

Ya know, they could get around this quite cheaply by simply putting a plainly visible website address you can go to to view the EULA. That way, they still get to seal up their product and they don't have to put any extra money into packaging (i.e. paying for the printed EULAs).

P.S. The reason many retailers put some high-dollar products in the blister packaging is so that they have the freedom of putting that product out on the sales floor in mass quantities without working (as much) about theft.

Old 02-12-2003, 08:47 AM
brage
Neophyte
Default Sneaky EULA's

Microsoft is notorious for sneaking in EULAs... IE Win2k service pack 3. In order to fix security bugs in the faulty software they sold you, you have to agree to some new license agreement. what BULLSH*T!

-j

Old 02-12-2003, 12:47 PM
dMores
Philosopher

i bet that lady never REALLY read a EULA. hehe

god bless america. where anyone sue anyone over anything.

jeezus !

Old 02-12-2003, 04:01 PM
JMountford
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to JMountford Send a message via AIM to JMountford Send a message via MSN to JMountford Send a message via Yahoo to JMountford

EULAs do kinda suck. You can not read it before you buy the software. And once you buy and open Software you can't take it back. So you either agree or get skrewd.

Old 02-12-2003, 05:50 PM
szamot
Sage

Why didn't I think of this, oh yeah I did but in Canada it is still a wild wild west when it comes to any sensible lawmaking. Time to get that greencard and claim my $20 from RIAA and maybe this as well.

Old 02-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

You guys should do a poll on the site asking if you read your EULA when you install your software.

I'm willing to bet a good majority of PPCT users don't.