Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 02-05-2003, 01:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Phone King Bluetooth Phone Dialer

http://www.applian.com/pocketpc/pho...eking/index.php

"Applian's Phone King Bluetooth Phone Dialer for the Pocket PC is now shipping! This is a great way to control your Bluetooth phone (like the Ericsson T68) from your Pocket PC. You can dial, send SMS, get caller ID, view live signal and battery strength, speed dial, and even design your own phone layouts. It's a great new way to operate your phone. Phone King supports Bluetooth headsets as well."

It is priced at $19.95 and has a 7 day trial. You need a bluetooth equipped Pocket PC 2002 and a supported bluetooth phone. Right now, the Ericsson T39, T68, T68i or the Nokia 6310 will work. (Ericsson T39 with headset is not currently supported.)

Old 02-05-2003, 01:12 PM
aviator
Pupil

I've been using VisualIt's Simple Call for quite a while now and though it may not have all the features of this one, its half the price.

VisualIT have a pretty good Simple SMS program too.

Old 02-05-2003, 02:31 PM
awierenga
Pupil

It doesn't look half as good as RunningVoice, how does it compare to RV?

Old 02-05-2003, 03:10 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

I like the idea of dialing any number you highlight from another application. Do you know if it integrates with Contacts so that I can tap and hold a name and have a menu selection of "Dial Contact" :?:

Old 02-05-2003, 03:15 PM
Philip Colmer
Thoughts Media Review Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by awierenga
It doesn't look half as good as RunningVoice, how does it compare to RV?
There is a review of Running Voice coming up ... hopefully this will help you decide.

--Philip

Old 02-05-2003, 03:23 PM
awierenga
Pupil

Don't forget to install the free Telebuddy upgrade when reviewing it...

Old 02-05-2003, 04:08 PM
remon
Neophyte

I tried this application and I like its features, but what kills it for me is that it is WAY too sluggish looking up a phone number from the contact list. This may only be a problem if you have a large number of contacts (I have well over 1,500 enties). But note that Simple Call, although not as feature rich, is very fast. Overall, I need "fast" more than bells and whistles.

Old 02-05-2003, 04:26 PM
cessquill
Ponderer

I'm connected to a Bluetooth GPS system when out an about. Can the iPaq connect to my phone at the same time, or is that not possible?

Old 02-05-2003, 05:53 PM
cholcomb
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to cholcomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessquill
I'm connected to a Bluetooth GPS system when out an about. Can the iPaq connect to my phone at the same time, or is that not possible?
Acutaly I've been testing mPhone 2.5 for the last week and was going to do a review on it this weekend. It took a lot of testing to finaly get 2 connection to my phone that won't kill each other. Why 2.... Well the reason most poeple get a T68i with bluetooth is so that they can use it as modem. The probem was that if you follow the directions for mPhone it tells you to make a bluetooth connection to serial port 1, then connect they're software. This works, but when you make an internet connection to check your email, traffic, of MSN Messenger it kills you mPhone connection. I've finaly got it to where i can use them both and niether kill each other. The trick was to make a connection to serial port 2, connnect the mPhone software (selecting com 5 in the settings), make a conneciton to serial port 1, then make an interet connection. I think by default the internet conenction connects using serial port 1, that's why it kept killing my mPhone connection with default settings. One of the things I wish mPhone had is info about my phone battery, signal, voice mails and such. I will try to do a review with lots of pictures this weekend.

As far as I know you are allowed to pair up to 8 devices. I was wanting to do the same thing. I currently have a TeleType CF GPS and was wanting to switch to the Symbol bluetooth version so i wouldn't have to go through the process of swapping cards, starting software, waiting for connection and so on.

Does Running Voice allow you to only be connected to the phone / internet or both? From what I saw last time I looked at it you had to switch from one to the other. When I'm surfing the web I still want the PDA software to tell me that I've got a call coming in.

Old 02-05-2003, 06:27 PM
hollis_f
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessquill
I can be using my Emtac BT GPS and connect to GPRS via a BT phone at the same time. But that's using the DUN profile - I've not tried connecting to the phone via a BT serial port at the same time.