Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 02-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Multithreaded Application Development

http://www.businessanyplace.net/?p=threads

I just finished and published my latest development article called "Develop More Responsive Applications Using Multiple Threads". It has been quite difficult to build multithreaded applications, but with the .NET Compact Framework it is much easier to get started. If you manage the risks, that is...

"You can design your application to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and make it appear faster and more responsive. The Pocket PC operating system, Microsoft Windows CE, can handle multiple so called threads at the same time and the .NET Compact Framework makes it easier than ever to develop multithreaded applications. Read on to learn how to make those threads work for you!"

Old 02-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Tim Allen
Ponderer

Nice article - I never realised just how easy threads are in .NET. I must admit I didn't really consider it much of an advantage on a PPC with it's already limited processing power, but I can see how this may become more and more useful in the future as we start calling more and more web services - which are notoriously slow to get a response from.

Old 02-04-2003, 09:35 PM
GadgetDave
Intellectual

Great article Andy!

I've been using the .NET tools since Beta 2, and I still can't get over how much easier threading is - Windows Services in VB and C# are fantastic ... and this is just as cool!

Old 02-04-2003, 11:14 PM
paris
Intellectual

nice article but i am looking for something else on programming right now.

Anyone can recommend a good article/book/tutorial to get me started on GAPI programming? I am doing a unit on the university about games programming using directx and i am kind of learning a lot about this area and i would like to use that as a basis to start playing with GAPI on the pocket pc platform using c++, you never know i might built something cool some day

Old 02-05-2003, 01:46 AM
smashcasi
Ponderer

paris: I think you'd be interested in checking out www.gapidraw.com

Old 02-10-2003, 07:56 AM
topps
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetDave
Great article Andy!

I've been using the .NET tools since Beta 2, and I still can't get over how much easier threading is - Windows Services in VB and C# are fantastic ... and this is just as cool!
Don't you find them too slow to be usable?