Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 02-04-2003, 03:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default CF GSM/GPRS Card For Your Pocket PC and Laptop

With the GSM/GPRS CompactFlash card (Type 1), you can instantly turn your Pocket PC or notebook computer into a wireless communication device so you can perform voice/data communication anytime and anywhere. You can not only enjoy high quality voice communication but rapid and stable GPRS Data transmission. You can finally get rid of the tiny little screen of your mobile phone and access various on-line information comfortably.

Features include:
� Tri-band Operations: EGSM 900/ DCS 1800/ PCS 1900
� GSM Voice Communications: Half Rate/Full Rate/ Enhanced Full Rate
� Circuit Switch Data: Asynchronous, Transparent / Non-Transparent Mode, Up to 14.4Kbps
� Short Message Service (SMS): MT/MO/CB
� FAX: Group 3 / Class 2.0
� SIM: Small 3/5V SIM card holder
� GPRS: Class B, Multi-slot Class 8 (4 down/1 up/5 per frame), Simultaneous network registration of GSM & GPRS
� Pocket PC 2000/2002 and Windows 98, ME, 2000 and XP supported
� $252.99, plus discounts for quantities over 15

Old 02-04-2003, 03:25 PM
Arne Hess
Thinker
Default Re: CF GSM/GPRS Card For Your Pocket PC and Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
With the GSM/GPRS CompactFlash card (Type 1), you can instantly turn your Pocket PC or notebook computer into a wireless communication device so you can perform voice/data communication anytime and anywhere.
� $252.99, plus discounts for quantities over 15
Pretty good that the Audiovox CF card is finally for sale in the US.
I got tons of feedback after my Review of it on PPCW.Net, where folks asked where to buy and I wasn't sure.
I really like the card and use it from time to time with my non Wireless Pocket PCs as well as I will take it with me if I go to Redmond next week where my GSM 900/1800 MHz xda will not work� :-(
One recommendation: I suggest Running Voice 2.5 to be used with the card, it's the perfect addition for the voice and data interface!

Old 02-04-2003, 04:13 PM
thanos255
Intellectual

It is a good card...just don't expect ANY help from AT&T at all if you use them as a carrier. They will not support it on the phone or via email. I hope this changes....but who knows.

Otherwise then that..IF you can get it working, I am sure you will be happy.

Thanks
Thanos

Old 02-04-2003, 04:23 PM
kaliwete
Neophyte
Default Incompatible or slow on the Toshiba e740?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
With the GSM/GPRS CompactFlash card (Type 1), you can instantly turn your Pocket PC or notebook computer into a wireless communication device so you can perform voice/data communication anytime and anywhere. You can not only enjoy high quality voice communication but rapid and stable GPRS Data transmission. You can finally get rid of the tiny little screen of your mobile phone and access various on-line information comfortably.
Is this the Audiovox RTM-8000? I've read through a Brighthand thread ( http://discussion.brighthand.com/sho...hlight=gprs+cf ) where people were having difficulty getting this GSM/GPRS CF card working with the Toshiba e740. Any thoughts?

Old 02-04-2003, 04:24 PM
stonepro
Ponderer
Default What does this do? :?:

ach!!! I just deleted my dumb question (what can I do with this card) becuase it's answer in the review (linked up-top). I hope no one spent any time answering me... ops:

Old 02-04-2003, 04:25 PM
Khufu1
Pupil
Default Reason to upgrade.

Right now I use my t68i via bluetooth to connect to the web. Is there any advantage switching to this guy assuming I always have my phone with me?
Khufu1

Old 02-04-2003, 04:36 PM
dbrahms
Intellectual

after using 1xrtt with Verizon, I'd never go back to GPRS for data.

Old 02-04-2003, 04:39 PM
Warthog
Neophyte
Default Comparison versus Sierra AirCard 750.

We have two GPRS cards (the AirCard 750's) in the office right now for trialing.

The speed is sufficient for our tasks (it's up to 56kbps rather than 14.4kbps, realistically it's around 38.4kbps), but the latency is terrible. There's a minimum latency of just over 1 second for doing anything. I imagine this is a limitation of the Rogers AT&T system, not the card itself, but does anyone have a definite answer on that?

Also, when do we get to see faster CF GPRS devices? 14.4kbps is better than nothing, but 56kbps is even better than that.

Matt.

Old 02-04-2003, 05:11 PM
vincentsiaw
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to vincentsiaw Send a message via MSN to vincentsiaw

$259 bucks seems a lot of money for a 14.4 kbps connection....

Old 02-04-2003, 05:23 PM
RickP in AZ
Intellectual
Send a message via Yahoo to RickP in AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentsiaw
$259 bucks seems a lot of money for a 14.4 kbps connection....
Actually that is the limitation of a CSD connection (if your provider supports that speed.) CSD is data over the GSM channel, *not* the GPRS. I use the CSD/GSM for data as I am only concerned with miobile access to email and I am a really cheap person. (CSD uses your normal voice minutes rather than charging against your data bucket like GPRS does.)

Unfortunately my provider, T-Mobile, only supports CSD at 9.6kbps. :cry: