Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 02-04-2003, 06:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Pocket Hack Master for X-Scale Over/Under Clocking Reviewed

http://www.maximumpda.com/maximumpd...?id=226_0_2_0_M

MaximumPDA has given Pocket Hack Master a thorough workout:

"Like many others, when I first heard that the next Pocket PC�s would have Intel�s new 400 Mhz X-Scale processor, I couldn�t wait to enjoy all the new found speed all my favorite Pocket PC applications would have. And, like many others, I was very disappointed when I discovered most ran about the same as my old 206 MHz Strong-arm and some even ran slower. All this speed and power in my hand, and I couldn�t tap it."

Old 02-04-2003, 06:27 PM
dean_shan
Mystic

Thanks for pointing me out to the review. I was thinking about getting Pocket Hack Master but this review has changed me from thinking to buying.

Old 02-04-2003, 06:28 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_shan
Thanks for pointing me out to the review. I was thinking about getting Pocket Hack Master but this review has changed me from thinking to buying.
Interesting...and here I was thinking to myself "That's it, no more freakin' Hackmaster reviews - this is the third review we're posted on!" ;-)

Old 02-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Hmmm interesting. I wonder if this speeds up the performance on a 105Mhz system bus how much would it help on a 200Mhz system bus? Wow I can play Ghost Recon!!! Dang it that new X-Scale can't come out soon enough.

Even more impressive the author isn't price gouging you. 8O Its only 10 bucks. I could easily envision this app being $15 or $20.

Old 02-04-2003, 06:37 PM
dean_shan
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Interesting...and here I was thinking to myself "That's it, no more freakin' Hackmaster reviews - this is the third review we're posted on!" ;-)
Yes this is not the first review I've read. That the drilling of the program's features might have been a factor in persuading me to want the program. They say it takes you hearing it three times to learn it :wink:

Old 02-04-2003, 06:39 PM
Dom
Intellectual
Default Convinced

The new chip and HackMaster have finally convinced me to ditch my overclocked iPaq. What a fantastic product.

Old 02-04-2003, 06:40 PM
Chris Spera
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Chris Spera
Default iPAQ Speed Boost

If you've got an iPAQ 38-5400 and are looking for a speed boost and DON'T use any expansion sleeves, try this out:

1. Go to \Windows\Startup and look for a shortcut named DM_k.lnk
2. Move this file to \Windows\Start Menu
3. Soft reset your device.

The file is a short cut to the app that activates your expansion connector. If you don't use any Expansion Sleeves, then you don't need this running. If you want to use an Expansion Sleeve, tap Start--DM_k before you put your iPAQ in an Expansion Sleeve. When you're done with the sleeve, soft reset your device.

I have noticed a REMARKABLE performance improvement in my 5455 since I did this. Now that I have a built-in WiFi adapter, I won't use the sleeve as much. When I do, its to play music or video and I can run the app only when I need to.

I would do this before I'd over clock the processor. Over clocking apps always introduce instability as well as risk of processor damage (If they didn't, then the developers of these kinds of apps wouldn't need to post a disclaimer with the app.)

This is a good and easy way of getting a performance boost without adding instability or risk to your device.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Old 02-04-2003, 07:12 PM
Johan
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to Johan
Default Re: iPAQ Speed Boost

Thanks!!

The 5450 feels a lot snappier now! :lol:

Old 02-04-2003, 08:33 PM
Rirath
Pontificator

3 reviews for one app isn't bad, considering how much this does. Besides, it's literally changing on a daily basis. Just recently released was a new scaling mode, and in the next release will be a benchmark that will automatically adjust the normalization values. Exciting stuff indeed. Soon to come is Vcore adjustments, which will lead to even greater speed gains. This program has climbed the Handango ranks like mad. I believe it's currently in the top #20. I won't be surprised if it hits the top 10 shortly.

Just to note, the 472mhz mode is slightly faster than the 500mhz mode due to a small bus speed increase in 472. The Axims can not use the 472 mode because it requires changing the L value. We can however use the 500mhz mode just fine, and underclock all the way down to 100mhz 1/2 memclk. So we Axim users have every bit as much joy as the rest. Tests prove overclocked Xscales beat 206 strongarms in speed. Finally.

Another note I didn't see mentioned was the the built in scaling of the Xscale often doesn't work. It's suppose to work, but software devs haven't done what's needed to make it scale the way I understand it. This works in a different method, and actually does work! It scales based on CPU load, and once the benchmark auto setup is done, it'll do a dang good job at that. Tests show battery gains of about 12%.

If you haven't done so already, check out the 153 page thread at Brighthand. http://discussion.brighthand.com/sho...pagenumber=157 Though sadly right now it's just bickering about the scaling methods. :roll: Once Vcore tweaks are out, things should heat up again (pardon the pun) with a nice round of benchmarks.

Old 02-04-2003, 08:56 PM
paris
Intellectual
Default Re: iPAQ Speed Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Spera
If you've got an iPAQ 38-5400 and are looking for a speed boost and DON'T use any expansion sleeves, try this out:

This ONLY aplies to the iPaq H545x AND NOT any previous series remove the file only if you have an H545x Pocket PC not a 38xx or 39xx. It will only make a diference in the 545x since this file seems to be buggy and consumes 10% cpu time when doing nothing.[/b]