Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 01-31-2003, 07:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default T68i Bluetooth GPRS Phone...Free?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/r...032309/sr%3D8-1

"The T68i has the same slick features as its predecessor (the T68)--most notably Bluetooth technology and GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) for mobile Internet connectivity. However, this upgraded version offers more memory and is the first phone to support MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service), allowing you to send images, animation, and sound clips in your messages. The advanced T68i also maintains the revolutionary PC-like 256-color graphic interface, making it easy to program most settings without even glancing at the manual."

Regularly priced at $299, with a new service activation on the T-Mobile network, you'll get a $300 rebate, making this phone completely free with activation (affiliate). This is more or less the defacto standard phone for use with Bluetooth-equpped Pocket PCs based on the sheer number of users I've seen that have them.

The Canadian cellular market is so ass-backwards by comparison - even WITH an activation I'd have to pay about $250 US for this phone. I've been watching eBay auctions on this phone trying to get an unlocked version without it costing too much (since I have no cell phone at the moment), and you lucky Americans can get it for free! If anyone has a spare T68i, let me know. :wink:

Old 01-31-2003, 07:02 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Believe it or not, this has been true for some time, probably about 6 months or so. Amazon also offers mad discounts on the PPC PE and the v60g. If you want to get a T-Mobile phone, Amazon is the cheapest way to go -- by far.

--janak

Old 01-31-2003, 07:05 PM
JMountford
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to JMountford Send a message via AIM to JMountford Send a message via MSN to JMountford Send a message via Yahoo to JMountford

Hey Jason I am waiting to see the Sony Ericson 608 come to Sprint PCS. Sometimes being a CDMA user sucks. So I kinda know how it feels to have to wait for the technology to come to you. In addition to that almost everysingle Sprint PCS phone you buy is for the full cash price unless of a rebate. Sprint does not absorb any of the cost.

Old 01-31-2003, 07:13 PM
RickP in AZ
Intellectual
Send a message via Yahoo to RickP in AZ

Playing the part of the fool I paid $299 for my T68m through T-Mobile back in October! An "m" *not* an "i"... Sheesh! I love the phone but not the Bluetooth stack problems. I would love to flash my firmware but I can't bear to be without my phone at all. (Last I checked T-Mobile won't upgrade the phones, requiring you to send it in to Sony-Ericcson.)

Nuts! I may have to put on my "squeaky wheel" hat and march into an actual T-Mobile location and whine until they give me a free upgrade to a new T68i...

(Phone issues aside I have been wonderously surprised at how good T-Mobile's customer service is. After some original plan issues they bent over backwards for me and upgraded me to unlimited nights for no charge.)

Grumble, grumble..........

Old 01-31-2003, 07:26 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Padgett
I love the phone but not the Bluetooth stack problems. I would love to flash my firmware but I can't bear to be without my phone at all.
I've had my T68 since Feb. of 2002, with one of the original firmwares (R1C), and have not had Bluetooth stack errors on the phone -- only on my 3870. Have you tried to just keep Bluetooth always on on your cell phone? That seems to work for me; although it's a slight power drain it doesn't make that much of a difference for me.

That said, I got my firmware upgraded, and GPRS stability is much, much improved. (Not surprising as I had R1 firmware.)

--janak

Old 01-31-2003, 07:27 PM
Peter Traugot
Ponderer

Hey guys. I had this phone with a Jabra bluetooth headset for a week. I live in the Bay area and found the T-Mobile service to be really weak. I couldn't get a signal in my house or at my friends houses. It's like it couldn't get through the walls.

However, the phone was very cool and the headset worked flawlessly. I found the voice activation to be a bit sub par though.

I now have an Audiovox CDM9500 anf the voice control on that phone is the best. I think it uses a similar technology (if not the same) as "tell me". If it doesn't understand you, it prompts you to speak slower, or louder, or clearer. If it is confused between two entries, it asks "do you mean X?" and if you say no, it dials the alternative. Very neat. It has worked %100 so far. (oh, it has a bilt in speaker phone too.) No bluetooth : (

Sorry. This might have ended up more information than needed.

I'm done now : )

Old 01-31-2003, 07:36 PM
markpmc
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Traugot
It's like it couldn't get through the walls.
You're correct. GSM in the USA uses the PCS (1900 mhz) band. The 800 mhz (TDMA, some CDMA) penetrates building much better.

markpmc

Old 01-31-2003, 07:41 PM
innersky
Ponderer

I bought one for �500, and a week later they were sold for �340. Go figure.

Old 01-31-2003, 07:45 PM
guinness
Intellectual

Does Cingular offer this phone? I wouldn't mind upgrading my T60 to the 68i, although that Nokia with the built-in camera looks neat too (the one in commercial where the people are sking).

Old 01-31-2003, 07:45 PM
Ben
Ponderer

Firstly T68 and T68i have exactly the same hardware (including memory) all that's different are the plastic outer covers (Ericsson vs. Sony Ericsson) and the software, I actually had my T68 updated to a T68i software wise for free by SE in the uk.

Secondly if you want a cheap T68i have a look at importing one from the UK or Europe, the T68 has been out nearly 18 months in the UK and there are lot of them going on ebay for between �100 - �150 SIM Free (thats about $200-$250 I think!).

HTH