Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-28-2003, 11:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default New Intel Xscale CPU Coming

Thomas Wolfram just sent us an email few minutes ago, and considering the topic, I got a little excited when I read it: a new Xscale chip is coming! Now here's the interesting part: it doesn't appear to be any faster, which makes me think this is the typical Intel strategy of "release a chip to market, then fix it later". If you haven't already done so, be sure to read our Xscale article on the subject - you'll find it interesting. This solidifies my opinion that the bulk of the speed issues we're seeing with the Xscale-based Pocket PCs are due to issues and limitations with the Xscale chip itself, not a lack of software optimization. Thomas writes:

"Intel has filed a Product Change Notification (Change Number D0102973) announcing a new stepping C1 of the XScale PXA250 processor. According to this document there are both functional and errata fix differences between the previous PXA250 steppings and the new PXA250 C1 stepping. It states that then new stepping is a new die and that hardware changes in the target system are required to take advantage of the new enhancements/features. It lists following new enhancements/features to previous releases:

� Hardware Universal Asynchronous Receiver / Transmitter (HWUART)
� Low Power SDRAM Mode Register Set Configuration Register
� 400 Run Mode / 200 PxBus
� Core Clock Configuration Register (CCCR)
� Core Phase Locked Loop
� UDC Control Function Register (UDCCFR)
� NSSP

Intel as assigned a new processor ID to the C1 stepping too. A detailed description of the enhancements will be available January 31, 2003. In the inital version of the document the new C1 stepping of the PXA250 was renamed to PXA255. But the current, third revision of the document dropped the PXA255 designation and states only: 'PXA250 C1 is Intel's manufacturing designation for the new stepping. The formal Marketing name will be announced no later than the end of Q1'03'. The Product Change Notification can be found on Intel's Web site. I think this could suggest that Intel plans to market the new XScale stepping as a kind of "improved XScale" (that is in addition to the PXA261/262 versions for mobile phones) maybe even under a new name, by end of Q1."

Old 01-28-2003, 11:06 PM
ExtremeSIMS
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to ExtremeSIMS Send a message via AIM to ExtremeSIMS

Shame we can't just slap a new micro-socketed CPU in our PDAs.

Old 01-28-2003, 11:58 PM
jornadaholic
Ponderer

well... i was gonna buy an axim in a few weeks guess ill wait awile now

Old 01-28-2003, 11:58 PM
EvilOne
Intellectual

Hopefully this new line will get some speed outta these chips so I can finally buy a new PDA :wink:

Old 01-29-2003, 12:00 AM
danmanmayer
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to danmanmayer
Default Dont forget the bus

Everyone talks about Xscale problems but from what i have read the slower bus speed is what really makes the Xscale perform equal or as slow as a 206 strong arm. So lets see the enxt pocket pcs with Xscale and a higher bus speed... Does everyone relize it has been since late 1999 or 2000 that we have had the max speed of the 206 mhz strong arm. Pocekt PC speed hasn't improved since that first 206 mhz IPAQ... that is a very very slow growth in a market... Doees this effect why people aren't buying as many pocket pcs as growth would predict? (I don't know but why upgrade to the newest ipaq's when there not faster and you still need the sleeve for about everything anyways... about all that is new is integrated wifi... or pocket pc phones... and that isn't a very impressive jump for 2 years of technology... The POCKET PC HARDWARE HAS LET ME DOWN FOR AWHILE NOW!

Old 01-29-2003, 12:01 AM
smittyofdhs
Thinker

what's the point? the current xscale offer nothing to the end user so why would we want another version of the chip and/or a faster chip? As it's been documented already, the current xscale processor has not offered any performance value over the strongarms.

Old 01-29-2003, 12:22 AM
DrtyBlvd
Sage

mmm - I confess that's my limited understanding too - - anyone care to expand on the 'Why' aspect??

Old 01-29-2003, 12:30 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyofdhs
what's the point? the current xscale offer nothing to the end user so why would we want another version of the chip and/or a faster chip?
That's like asking "the Pentium Pro is slower than the Pentium, so why bother adopting the Pentium II?" The answer might be, "Intel finally fixed the damn thing and it runs fast enough". Let's hope.

--janak

Old 01-29-2003, 12:37 AM
Fishie
Pontificator

Janak:The answer might be, "Intel finally fixed the damn thing and it runs fast enough". Let's hope.

Yes Janak, I was talking with that flying pig last night and he totaly shared that sentiment

Old 01-29-2003, 12:39 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie
Yes Janak, I was talking with that flying pig last night and he totaly shared that sentiment
Hey, hey, they did it, mostly, with the PII. Let's not assume that all the pigs fly. We haven't counted them all just yet. :lol:

--janak