Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 01-25-2003, 11:51 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default 802.1x Update for e740 WLAN Driver

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...gngdgli.0&ct=DL

According to the release notes, it offers mixed (802.1x) WEP compatibility with a number of ORiNOCO and Cisco base stations. It doesn't appear that this is relevant for most SOHO users, but for those of you using it in corporate environments may find it welcome. There's a PDF also enclosed explaining how to use the new 802.1x functionality.

Old 01-26-2003, 12:28 AM
Gremmie
Philosopher

We aren't talking LEAP compatibility here are we????? If it is, wow, that might boost the popularity of the e740.

Old 01-26-2003, 12:31 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to imply any LEAP compatibility.

--janak

Old 01-26-2003, 12:35 AM
Master O'Mayhem
Theorist

Looks like TLS-EAP and PEAP. No LEAP... altho if you use a cisco card there is an update for LEAP for Pocket pc

Old 01-26-2003, 01:41 AM
sgyee
Ponderer

If your Cisco implementation is up to date and you utilize a RADIUS server and a Certificate server (like they recommend in many white papers), EAP-TLS will work.

Simply put - If your Cisco EAP implementation supports Windows XP in a native mode (no Cisco client on the Windows XP unit), then the e740 will work with the Cisco network as well.

Old 01-26-2003, 02:29 AM
johncj
Ponderer

Every e740 owner needs this updated driver. In addition to the added functionality for EAP and general improvements to the driver, they have upgraded the WiFi applet. Best of all, it has a button to allow you to renew your IP address.

Old 01-26-2003, 04:49 AM
mconnick
Pupil
Default Performance Improvement

In addition to the new security features, this upgrade also offers signifiant performance enhancements. I'd recommend it for all e740 users.

Old 01-26-2003, 10:49 AM
dean_shan
Mystic

Even if you're not going to use the 802.1x Authentication you should put this on. It adds a lot more to the Wirless LAN Utility. Every e740 owner needs to put this on ASAP.

Old 01-26-2003, 04:52 PM
griffter
Pupil

well, I installed it but have encountered problems.

It works ok following a soft reset, but when I fire up pocket informant it all goes wrong. It will not allow me to start up the wireless (either off of the screen or with the switch). I have played with several of the parameters but to no avail.

Unfortunately it seems to be installed into the ROM, so I can't go back to a previous backup.

Ideas?

UPDATE
I performed a hard reset and went back to a backup from yesterday and all seems to be ok (without the update).

Old 01-29-2003, 05:24 PM
mfriedhoff
Neophyte
Default 802.1x WLAN driver upgrade broke my WLAN connectivity

I installed this update on my e740 lose WLAN connectivity after a minute or 2 of use. I can only get it back by doing a soft reset, and then it goes away again after a minute or so.

I have turned off the WLAN power save, so that's not it.

Genius that I am, I didn't do a backup before the upgrade so I can't go back to my earlier working state.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot/fix it or failing that, any ideas how to back out to the earlier driver? (Uninstalling doesn't seem to work properly because it's saved in the ROM.)

Thanks,
Mike