Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 01-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Mobile Phones Running Windows CE. NET

http://www.alphacell.com/products.html

Check out those phones! Nice! Probably total vaporware, but talk about a customized user interface for Windows CE.NET! It doesn't say Windows CE until you get into the specs for the M5 model (Windows CE .NET 4.1) and the M6 model (Windows CE .NET 4.0)!

Old 01-24-2003, 01:20 PM
Peter Foot
Thinker

Strange to use Windows CE .NET 4.0 in the second model as this OS has been superceeded by 4.1 and version 4.2 is not supposed to be far off...

Old 01-24-2003, 02:10 PM
aroma
Thinker

Reading through one of the press releases, it states that the M5 unit is slated for release in the Israeli market sometime in 2003... I'd wager the M6 will be nothing more than a dream. I'd sure like to see some inovative phones come out of the States.... :sleeping:

Old 01-24-2003, 02:18 PM
vetteguy
Ponderer

I would just like to see A Smartphone come to the US, ever. Sorry, bitterness and cynicism coming through again, but I've seen pictures, read specs, and hearr rumors for years now and have yet to see one actual working model. Show me the device!

Old 01-24-2003, 02:36 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteguy
I would just like to see A Smartphone come to the US, ever. Sorry, bitterness and cynicism coming through again, but I've seen pictures, read specs, and hearr rumors for years now and have yet to see one actual working model. Show me the device!
Ditto. No more Photoshopping. Show us the goods, please! 8)

Old 01-24-2003, 03:43 PM
hrianto
Pupil

For someone who have cell phone, with this kind of cell, who need PDA?

Old 01-24-2003, 03:46 PM
Eos
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to Eos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sjostrom
Ditto. No more Photoshopping. Show us the goods, please! 8)
Hi Andy, guys,..

As I live in Israel, and a friend and former colleague of mine works for Alphacell, I can asure you that this is no B/S, but for real.

I have no precise specs (NDAs and stuff) but some of this was already published on our local Hi-Tech media channels, to be quoted, Alphacell, develops a GSM/GPRS Smartphone, based on WinCE (!!!!!???), to be released 2003, in a cooperation with Orange one of Israel's cellular com. providers.

==============
Saar

Old 01-24-2003, 03:48 PM
rbrome
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteguy
Do you mean smartphone generically, or Windows-Powered Smartphone?

If you mean generic, there are lots of smartphones. The Samsung i330 just came out, as did the Kyocera 7135 - both nice, small PalmOS smartphones.

Samsung is about to make a big splash with the i500 and i700. The i500 is really tiny Palm smartphone for Sprint, and the i700 is a great Pocket PC PE for Sprint.

If you mean Windows-Powered Smartphone, there will be a good handful released this year, I guarantee it. The Samsung i600 is a really slick clamshell one, which will be coming out for Verizon.

As for the Alphacell devices, they're GSM 900/1800, which means even if they do actually reach the market, they will only work in Europe.

Old 01-24-2003, 04:10 PM
Eos
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to Eos

RbRom,

On the contrary, Alphacell boasts full house Tri-Band S/Ps. And to your other question, the M5 and M6 are on the MIcrosoft's WinCE.Net platform.

For more details, you may be interested to visit their web site (also mentioned above) at: http://www.alphacell.com/products.html

===============
Saar

Old 01-24-2003, 04:59 PM
Estaban
Neophyte
Default alphacell pix look neat!

Sure hope one of these days someone makes a flip model.

EOS - Thx for the intell, nobody has credibility like a media editor for mobility subjects. Where might we see/view/hear your work? Is it in english?

I struck out on "a.s.i.p.", channel 3, and mobility?
Estaban